Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 10:05:20 PM EDT
There was a deal on Reverb a couple weeks ago. $180ish and shipping for a 2x12 Panama cabinet.

I couldnt resist. Ivory tolex with a metal grill and Purple Heart baffle. It showed up yesterday.

Spent a few hours today and a 1987 clone. Pretty nice cabinet. Cedar box with solid hardware. A little dark sounding with a pair of speakers advertised as V30 voiced. But a little twist of the knobs and it sounds pretty good. Solid thump in the bottom end and the highs are decent.  For less than $200 this is a hell of a deal on a well made cabinet.

See how it sounds after a few hours to break in the cones.

Here it is.

https://reverb.com/item/2693849-panama-guitars-boca-series-2x12-speaker-cabinet-w-aged-v30-purpleheart-ivory-130w-b-stock#&gid=1&pid=1
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at their offerings a year or so ago when I was looking for a 2x12 for a lower power rig... couldn't find on locally to try and ended up with a Carvin 4x10 that rocks before I ever jumped on the Panama.

I'd heard the cabinets aren't shabby but the speakers were lacking.  I recall reading they break in and sound better but will never match actual V-30s for tone.
I also looked real hard at Avatar and their offerings but ended up with a local deal.

Let us know how those speakers sound after 40 or so hours of play, would be curious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at their offerings a year or so ago when I was looking for a 2x12 for a lower power rig... couldn't find on locally to try and ended up with a Carvin 4x10 that rocks before I ever jumped on the Panama.

I'd heard the cabinets aren't shabby but the speakers were lacking.  I recall reading they break in and sound better but will never match actual V-30s for tone.
I also looked real hard at Avatar and their offerings but ended up with a local deal.

Let us know how those speakers sound after 40 or so hours of play, would be curious.
View Quote

I will for sure.

I have an Avatar 2x12 on the way with their Hellatone 60s which are rebranded V30s. Supposedly broken in. Will be interesting to compare. It looks to be quite a job to replace a speaker in the Panama cab.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting that they use cedar. It probably has tones reminiscent of some older Fenders, since some had pine cabs. I bet it resonates well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting that they use cedar. It probably has tones reminiscent of some older Fenders, since some had pine cabs. I bet it resonates well.
View Quote

It does actually.  

The purple heart baffle is really cool.  And the cab is solid. The speakers are just blah.  They have no character but they are very new so I am gonna let them break in for a while and see how they develop.  For the money this was a no brainer.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It does actually.  

The purple heart baffle is really cool.  And the cab is solid. The speakers are just blah.  They have no character but they are very new so I am gonna let them break in for a while and see how they develop.  For the money this was a no brainer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does actually.  

Truth right there. Sometimes a deal is so good that it's worth the gamble. You'd be hard pressed to get an unloaded cab for that price. I got a local deal on a Sourmash 2x12 with Celestions last month for $200. The guy was surprised I didn't want to audition it first, but the price and cosmetics were worth handing over cash and grabbing it within hours of the ad posting. It's not character wood, just good old 11-ply Baltic birch.

Even if the speakers end up sucking, you can probably flog them cheaply on eBay or reverb and recoup half the cost of a new pair.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Truth right there. Sometimes a deal is so good that it's worth the gamble. You'd be hard pressed to get an unloaded cab for that price. I got a local deal on a Sourmash 2x12 with Celestions last month for $200. The guy was surprised I didn't want to audition it first, but the price and cosmetics were worth handing over cash and grabbing it within hours of the ad posting. It's not character wood, just good old 11-ply Baltic birch.

Even if the speakers end up sucking, you can probably flog them cheaply on eBay or reverb and recoup half the cost of a new pair.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does actually.  

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I got to compare the Panama cabinet to the Avatar 2x12 with the Hellatone 60s which are relabed V30s that are supposed to be broken in.

First the Avatar is a significantly larger cabinet. It's the vintage style cab with wheat grille cloth with black tolex/white piping.  Most importantly it blows the Panama cabinet away. Leaps and bounds. The Panama cabinet is solidly built but the speakers are lousy.  I'm gonna swap them out later on and see how that does.  Maybe I'll put a set of Creambacks in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top