Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2016 7:11:21 AM EDT
I've got an acoustic guitar that I've had for about 6 years or so.  I read over and over about having your guitar set up by a pro and am seriously considering it.

My question: If I take it to my local music store and say "Set it up", about how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Prices start at $50 and go up from there.

You can also DYI.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+set+up+your+guitar+dyi&form=EDGNTC&qs=PF&cvid=cd6063a00e4d4d2fa6c37e727f60f705&pq=how%20to%20set%20up%20your%20guitar%20dyi&cc=US&setlang=en-US
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
We charge $60
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

I'd rather have a pro do it than attempt it myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.

View Quote

What do you expect to gain out of this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Article after article says how important it is for your guitar to be set up properly. So, I'd like to be able to know that mine is
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Article after article says how important it is for your guitar to be set up properly. So, I'd like to be able to know that mine is

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies.

OK, well, I guess I'm trying to see if you know what you want.

If you take your guitar to a random music store and hand it over to their guitar guy, you'll spend money to get his idea of a proper setup.

You should be able to articulate the issues you're having now with the instrument, and how you wish for it to be improved.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you take your guitar to a random music store and hand it over to their guitar guy, you'll spend money to get his idea of a proper setup.

You should be able to articulate the issues you're having now with the instrument, and how you wish for it to be improved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Not just any music store...one owned by a friend of mine with a very good reputation (Fret Mill here in Roanoke).

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
What brand and model of Guitar?
what I'm getting at is you might as well get a Bone Nut and Saddle installed.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not just any music store...one owned by a friend of mine with a very good reputation (Fret Mill here in Roanoke).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I think what Thawn was getting at is it helps the tech a bunch if you are asking for specific things...

"I want the action lower on the upper 3 strings"
"Set it up for 10-46 strings... but I want to drop a 52 on the bottom E please."
"I've had some serious buzz issues from frets 12 and up on the lower E and A strings"

Stuff like that... but I might be interpreting him wrong.
I do my own setups now, but the tech I used to go to would sit and watch you play and ask questions about action height and such.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got an acoustic guitar that I've had for about 6 years or so.  I read over and over about having your guitar set up by a pro and am seriously considering it.

My question: If I take it to my local music store and say "Set it up", about how much can I expect to pay?

Thanks.
View Quote

One thing I've learned about setups is that all guitar stores have pros simply because they are getting paid to do a setup.  However, fewer stores have experienced pros worth hiring.  You need to sort through and find which ones have the experiend pros.

Or do what I do, and just do it yourself.  It's not that hard, just tedious.  If you have some issues with doing a setup that will likely require a luither, then don't go to a music store. Find a luither.  Keep in mind, there maybe one or two music stores in your area that have luithers.  You'll know this by looking at the repair services they offer.  Just make sure they don't farm it out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think what Thawn was getting at is it helps the tech a bunch if you are asking for specific things...

"Set it up for 10-46 strings... but I want to drop a 52 on the bottom E please."

"I've had some serious buzz issues from frets 12 and up on the lower E and A strings"

I do my own setups now, but the tech I used to go to would sit and watch you play and ask questions about action height and such.
View Quote

Nah, you nailed it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nah, you nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, you nailed it.

I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell anyone anything specific. Like I said, I'd like to have someone simply look things over and say "Yep...looks good."
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell anyone anything specific. Like I said, I'd like to have someone simply look things over and say "Yep...looks good."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, you nailed it.

I can do that for free
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Learn to do it yourself.

As long as you don't file frets or nuts and bridges you can learn a lot by tweaking the saddles and neck. The. You can go from there.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I do all my own setup work but I realize not everyone is good with tools. Like the others have said you need to be able to convey what it is you are after. There is no one size fits all for a professional setup. There are certain specs that are recommended in a setup but no hard fast rules. Bluegrass guitar players are notorious for wanting actions so high I would be seeking to get the neck reset. What kind of music do you play and what is it about your guitar that seems to bother you as far as the way it plays and feels to you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Learn to do it yourself.

As long as you don't file frets or nuts and bridges you can learn a lot by tweaking the saddles and neck. The. You can go from there.

View Quote

There's merit in this, with emphasis on caution re filing frets & nuts as a beginner. I have an old project guitar that I hamfisted with a file.

Basic setup, I usually do myself. The next project will be learning fretwork on a couple mostly disposable necks. There are enough websites, books, and YouTube videos to learn basic setup. You can measure action height with calipers or ghetto-check it by stacking guitar picks (eg Dunlop Gator Grip or Tortex) of known thickness under the strings.

My sentimental favorite old RG770DX has a number of flattened frets, and I am not going to touch that baby JEM's bound fretwork myself. Several of my friends are clients of John Bolin for setup, repairs, and full-out custom builds. I'm reluctant to burden their shop with a mass-produced 25 year old MIJ. If I don't go with him, I'll have someone do my S540LTD first as a test-run.

FWIW, I'm a really sloppy perpetual beginner but know what I like.
Ibanez shredders: 9-42 or 9-46, E-standard, minimal relief, 1-1.5mm at 12th fret. Ideally a perfect fourth pull-up range on an Ibanez Edge or Lo-Pro, as long as the neck doesn't need excessive shims. I don't like the strings too far off the body, though, so I'll settle for a minor or major third.

Les Paul: 9-46 top wrapped E-standard. Give a little breathing room in the relief and run the action up to a couple mm for low to medium low on 12th fret. I'm a wimp.

Acoustic: Lightest acoustic strings I can find, plus earplugs for everyone within 20 yards.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
VACaver, Spelunker myself (pretty much retired).
Good idea to get it checked.
What is the make and model?
You pretty much a 'campfire strummer'? (very much in demand at a decent party!)
Anyway, should not take more than an hour unless your guitar has major issues, so the estimates are reasonable.
My favorite form of payment is...........Seeing the huge smile and incredulous look on their face (DAMN, this is MY guitar?)when they pick up their guitar and give it a 'strum', is like WOW!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
VACaver, Spelunker myself (pretty much retired).
Good idea to get it checked.
What is the make and model?
You pretty much a 'campfire strummer'? (very much in demand at a decent party!)
Anyway, should not take more than an hour unless your guitar has major issues, so the estimates are reasonable.
My favorite form of payment is...........Seeing the huge smile and incredulous look on their face (DAMN, this is MY guitar?)when they pick up their guitar and give it a 'strum', is like WOW!
View Quote

Mosty-retired from caving.

My guitar is a Fender DG-7 that the wife got me to learn on. The teacher I was taking lessons from said it was a decent guitar that had a good sound to it.

I wouldn't consider myself a "campfire strummer". I'm too shy to play with an audience, so pretty much only play when I'm alone and no one can hear how bad I am
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#19]

$50 for Floyd equipped guitars, $40 for all others at the local GC. I bought a few tools and just do my own set ups now, it really isn't that complicated.

Usually includes truss rod and action adjustment, intonation and maybe a quick check on the electronics, I forget since it's been a while.

You know how you want your guitar/bass to feel once you've played it a few times, so it just makes sense to DIY.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mosty-retired from caving.

My guitar is a Fender DG-7 that the wife got me to learn on. The teacher I was taking lessons from said it was a decent guitar that had a good sound to it.

I wouldn't consider myself a "campfire strummer". I'm too shy to play with an audience, so pretty much only play when I'm alone and no one can hear how bad I am
View Quote

I've been that way for some 20 years of intermittent beginnership. Think I've figured out a chord progression or learned a solo? The wheels fall off the wagon when I show my wife, and I even have a hard time playing alone in front of guitar teachers.

Here's my little dark secret about performing music publicly. This may seem really strange for a guy that spent half a decade doing live radio and quite a few lead roles in stage plays as a younger guy. As a kid, I'd do piano recitals and contests, usually doing pretty well. I memorized "The Final Countdown" in a week and handed the sheet music to my piano instructor to follow along after she said it was too hard for me to learn. That was around 7th grade.

Well, let me tell you a story about being an 8th grader and completely bricking the oboe solo at a school concert. From that point on, I've had a hard time doing music in front of anyone. Singing? I've got a wide enough range to sing with Halford, Dickinson, Bowie, Tate, et al in the car. I got a "wow" from SWMBO after belting some Edguy last month.  People get after me for not singing in public, including several stage & choir directors and my wife, but that's a Rubicon not yet crossed.

For now, I'm content to let my kids hear me sing them to sleep and to play guitar by myself in the den.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I'd trust them although it has been years since I have been in there. Just let them look it over and see what they think. I was helping a friend pick out a new Martin there years ago and brought along an old acoustic I wanted their opinion on. They looked it over and said there was nothing they would touch for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top