Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 5:14:30 AM EDT
Almost 4 weeks ago I sent a message to a friend saying I was interested in jamming, and to set something up.  He replied back that there was a gig on 7/31 I could get in on and said "Ok, but I need to see a setlist before I commit to determine how much time I'll have to put into preparing".

I did not hear anything back until this past weekend...never got a confirmation that I would be playing, or a list of tunes until this past saturday when I got a 40-50 song list of tunes that I was told were "possible choices".    

I pretty much texted back right away that less than two weeks out and with pretty much only a day or two to prepare at most it would be next to impossible for me to learn 40-50 tunes and asked if they could nail it down to things that would definitely be played at the gig.

Haven't heard back....

These aren't pros either...just other day jobbers who weekend warrior music.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Cancel.  With that little time to prepare and the minimal commitment they show to the gig it's not going to go well for weekend warriors.  Don't tie you name up in the impending disaster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with him.  Unrealistic expectations.  Now if you had a ton of free time and a lot of the songs you were already familiar with, it might be a different story.   Taking chances and leaping a little is good.  Getting out of comfort zones.  But this seems like it might be a recipe for disaster.  Either they are really unorganized and might not sound any good.  Or they're not all that interested in having you play to include you in preparing.  Maybe they already have everything covered.  Or something else.  But that's how I see it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely bail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I would turn it down. Not nearly enough prep time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have to respectfully decline.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm with him.  Unrealistic expectations.  Now if you had a ton of free time and a lot of the songs you were already familiar with, it might be a different story.   Taking chances and leaping a little is good.  Getting out of comfort zones.  But this seems like it might be a recipe for disaster.  Either they are really unorganized and might not sound any good.  Or they're not all that interested in having you play to include you in preparing.  Maybe they already have everything covered.  Or something else.  But that's how I see it.
View Quote

I think they are just unorganized....they're great players probably among the better ones in this area, but neither one has a "real job" they both pretty much work only when they need to.  

I declined it and pretty much had to beat them off with a baseball bat..

They had what amounted to almost a month to get me a list of tunes, and they didn't...and Im not about to cram using a list of 40-50 possible tunes.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you can still get the list and practice up on those songs.  Not sure if they change songs every time they play, but if they usually play those songs, then you could be prepared for the next time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe you can still get the list and practice up on those songs.  Not sure if they change songs every time they play, but if they usually play those songs, then you could be prepared for the next time.
View Quote

they already gave me the list....yeah, I plan on learning some of them...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Were there any on there you knew? The guys in the band probably knew 'em all, and would have let you sit in for a couple of songs, if you could play 'em.

I work with a guy, who does the same thing. Tell him I wanna jam, and he sends a list of songs they regularly play. If I know any of the songs, they'll let me sit in and play for a bit.

Should've went. At least you would've got to play, and you could've left before they had to tear everything down to go home!!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Were there any on there you knew? The guys in the band probably knew 'em all, and would have let you sit in for a couple of songs, if you could play 'em.

I work with a guy, who does the same thing. Tell him I wanna jam, and he sends a list of songs they regularly play. If I know any of the songs, they'll let me sit in and play for a bit.

Should've went. At least you would've got to play, and you could've left before they had to tear everything down to go home!!

View Quote

out of the entire list there were probably two that I knew, and yes, the thought of just asking/offering to sit in occurred to me, but I think this was an all or nothing gig.  I hate to turn stuff down, but these guys are just on a different wavelength/planet than I am in terms of planning and organization.  For instance, setting up a rehearsal to them means i get a text around three pm while I am at work asking if I can rehearse that very night.  I simply just don't have that much flexibility in my schedule to rehearse at the drop of a hat.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Take your pick....

Quoted:
He replied back that there was a gig on 7/31 I could get in on and said "Ok, but I need to see a setlist before I commit to determine how much time I'll have to put into preparing".
View Quote

Translation #1: our regular guy may not be able to make it.  I'll check and get back to you if so.
Translation #2: We're gonna depart with our regular guy... well, I want to fire him and am working on the other band members to do so.

Quoted:
I did not hear anything back until this past weekend...never got a confirmation that I would be playing, or a list of tunes until this past saturday when I got a 40-50 song list of tunes that I was told were "possible choices".    
View Quote

Translation #1:  looks like our regular guy may not make it. Here's the set list just in case.
Translation #2:  I've got most in the band ready to fire him, just working on one more.  Here's the set list.

Quoted:
I pretty much texted back right away that less than two weeks out and with pretty much only a day or two to prepare at most it would be next to impossible for me to learn 40-50 tunes and asked if they could nail it down to things that would definitely be played at the gig.

Haven't heard back....
View Quote

Translation #1:  looks like the guy is going to make. If not, I will call you at the last minute.
Translation #2:  Getting that last remaining member to agree in firing the guy is tougher than I thought.  If so, I will check in with you at the last minute.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Take your pick....
Translation #1: our regular guy may not be able to make it.  I'll check and get back to you if so.

Translation #2: We're gonna depart with our regular guy... well, I want to fire him and am working on the other band members to do so.
Translation #1:  looks like our regular guy may not make it. Here's the set list just in case.

Translation #2:  I've got most in the band ready to fire him, just working on one more.  Here's the set list.
Translation #1:  looks like the guy is going to make. If not, I will call you at the last minute.

Translation #2:  Getting that last remaining member to agree in firing the guy is tougher than I thought.  If so, I will check in with you at the last minute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Take your pick....

Quoted:

He replied back that there was a gig on 7/31 I could get in on and said "Ok, but I need to see a setlist before I commit to determine how much time I'll have to put into preparing".

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't heard back....

Nailed it....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top