Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2016 6:22:44 AM EDT
I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this. I'm thinking the body alone has to be worth the money. Even if I swap out the pickups, electric controls and have to replace all the hardware , how bad could it be I've watched some youtube videos of these knock offs and they are surprisingly good.
http://hanhaiguitar.en.made-in-china.com/product/oKuErCWHZFhn/China-Hanhai-Music-Natural-Wood-Color-Electric-Jazz-Guitar-with-Maple-Veneer.html

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy an Epiphone. You just want people to think you have a Gibson. If it was not for the name on the headstock you wouldn't want it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Garbage.  I wouldn't assume the body is worth that money.  

Cheap knockoffs are cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Rondo music imports Chinese built instruments of that style that have a good US dealer with good support... they're of good quality for the price.
Epiphone would likely be a good choice if you really want a Gibson family brand.

I own 7 Gibson electrics currently and I can assure you that the tone isn't in the head stock shape.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Trust me I am a hardcore Gibson fan boy. I know without doubt this will in no way shape or form be close to an original. I'm also not into trying to impress people with it either. I was just thinking a beater guitar that I'm not going to worry about every little nick scratch or gouge.

I've owned Gibson originals I know the difference.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow! only $166
not so easy to change the pots/switch/jack on a Semi-Hollow body guitar, you have to work through the f-holes
check youtube here
better off with a Epiphone and a USA warranty
that nice top is only a veneer 1/16" thick if that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I only see people who buy these illegal guitars as just wanting the name on the headstock so as to impress others. What other reason could there be with all the good legal import guitars on the market.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I only see people who buy these illegal guitars as just wanting the name on the headstock so as to impress others. What other reason could there be with all the good legal import guitars on the market.
View Quote

If you're young and starting out playing and don't know any better.  It would be a tempting buy.  If it played half way decent.  I have no clue.  I just know when I was 17 and starting out, I could've gave a rip if it was "authentic" or not.  Just wanted something to play and not a lot of money.   It doesn't always have to be about impressing people.  

I don't have a lot of experience with "knock offs".  But my Neighber has some kind of strat knock off and it's really not that bad.  Hoffner maybe?  I mean it's not that bad playing.  I never played it through an amp real loud to know how the electrics are.  I had 2 epiphone Les Pauls in my day and I could always tell they weren't as good as a real Gibson.  But sometimes you get lucky.  I hear that sometimes a Squier can be real good and I've played a few that seemed really decent.  

Anyways.... that's my 3 cents.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I would buy a used Epiphone 335 or 339 before I bought the Chibson.  

I have a shit load of Gibsons.....Epiphone gives Gibson a run for their money in terms of quality. I do believe the older Japanese and Korean made Epiphones were better than the Chinese versions however
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a shit load of Gibsons.....Epiphone gives Gibson a run for their money in terms of quality. I do believe the older Japanese and Korean made Epiphones were better than the Chinese versions however
View Quote

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

http://i.imgur.com/KV1IHAo.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

I have the black Royale 339.

Buy the Epi.  Go on Ebay and find a pair of Gibson 57 Classic pickups.
Go to StewMac and get the premium wiring kit.

99% of the $3500 Gibson model for about $600.
and if you destroy the guitar, it's $340 for a new one, the electronics move over.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

Oh my Wow that thing is beautiful.  And it plays well?  You totally have me jealous right now.  How do people find these deals?  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh my Wow that thing is beautiful.  And it plays well?  You totally have me jealous right now.  How do people find these deals?  LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a 339 Epi
love it
paid $339

Guitar Center the only place as far as I know that sells the P-90 version (and where I bought mine), just had them on sale for the 4th of July for $359

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got an epiphone wildcat that plays great. Pay a little more, and get an epi if you can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Wow, I would love one of those.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top