Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2016 9:59:28 AM EDT
I was never a serious or good player, but I want to give it a go again.

Reading sheet music is a struggle for me, but tab & chords are alright.

I seek a beginner app or program to return to fundamentals.

I welcome suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Start by checking out JustinGuitar.com

All free and a ton of information and exercises there.

Enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

The progression of reading sheet music starts with visually identifying the properties of each note then to mentally hearing the notes.

So in otherwords, the first state is recogniztion of each note and what it represents.  This is frequency and time.  In fact, sheet music is just frequency and time math. That is all it is.  If you are more analyical than art oriented at this point, approach it as such. Once you can recognize whole, half, quarter, and eigth notes immediately, and the position on the clef for the frequency, you can start to hear it in your head.

Rudimentary, if I had a eight note, then a quarter note, it would sound something like dit-dah.  If reversed, so the eight note follows the quarter, it would sound like dah-dit in my head.

Get Guitar Pro 6 (GP6), and start learning sheet music by experimenting.  Take a simple song of sheet music and copy it into GP6 and use the play button.  You'll start to understand it fast.  It takes pratice to be able to play in real time, while reading sheet music. So don't skimp on that.  GP6 also has free songs that you can download, and a library of songs that you can purchase.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start by checking out JustinGuitar.com

All free and a ton of information and exercises there.

Enjoy yourself.
View Quote

Good looking site. I will definitely spend some time there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The progression of reading sheet music starts with visually identifying the properties of each note then to mentally hearing the notes.

So in otherwords, the first state is recogniztion of each note and what it represents.  This is frequency and time.  In fact, sheet music is just frequency and time math. That is all it is.  If you are more analyical than art oriented at this point, approach it as such. Once you can recognize whole, half, quarter, and eigth notes immediately, and the position on the clef for the frequency, you can start to hear it in your head.

Rudimentary, if I had a eight note, then a quarter note, it would sound something like dit-dah.  If reversed, so the eight note follows the quarter, it would sound like dah-dit in my head.

Get Guitar Pro 6 (GP6), and start learning sheet music by experimenting.  Take a simple song of sheet music and copy it into GP6 and use the play button.  You'll start to understand it fast.  It takes pratice to be able to play in real time, while reading sheet music. So don't skimp on that.  GP6 also has free songs that you can download, and a library of songs that you can purchase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the thoughts.

I grew up singing, including a scholarship at college level. Sheet music isn't foreign to me, but I have never done it in the context of creating chords on an instrument. I merely had to follow my line.

I got the hang of tab, but more enjoyed just seeing a G, D, F, etc and being familiar with the song I was attempting. I admittedly half-assed my introduction to guitar. I just learned chords and started strumming with songs. I intend to take a more deliberate approach this time. The link above is probably going to be quite useful for that.

I'll look at GP6 as well. As with anything, making the time for it is the tough part. Thanks again!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top