Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 7:16:17 PM EDT
putting together a small practice PA...bought a Peavey PVI-8500 small powered mixer (400 watts) -  has powered outputs as well as non-powered.  

been digging into speakers...12" and 15" mains.  What brands / models are you guys having luck with?  Not looking for Madison Square Garden sound levels...just decent practice room pa / small gigs

thanks in advance as always
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Pricey little suckers
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a small PA with a couple of ElectroVoice ZLX-15 speakers (unpowered) with a Yamaha EMX312C powered mixer.

Sounds great. Not too expensive.  http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2582

I have a much larger PA with a digital mixer, QSC powered speakers & subs, but the EV's sound very smooth & good without much EQ-ing.

I like 15"s for the mains if I'm not going to have a separate sub(s)

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote

Pricey little suckers

The EVs mentioned earlier or the something from the Yamaha Club Series should be suitable. The are cheap and sound like it.

The best sounding cabinets in the low-low to mid price range are the QSC K Series. They sound great when they work. Having used them for the past three years, I can say that I'd be happy to tie ropes around the handles and use them as boat anchors.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Need a price range to work with. There are some really nice sounding cheap speakers on the market...I should say relatively cheap. How much can you spend and do you want to play out with them or just play around.

If you would like something powered I highly recommend these, for the price on sale they are freaking awesome. I have four of them that I use as monitors. I would put them up against speakers that cost twice their regular price.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been leaning towards the EV's mentioned above.  Looked at the EV ZLX powered 12's yesterday...thinking 15's are going to be better though.  

anyone using the ZLX series?  any preference on the powered versus un-powered ZLX's?

Also...one brand that pops up a lot locally is Seismic Audio..I know it is not EV quality...but is anyone using those??

burning hotel points on this purchase...my toy fund from my travels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the QSC KW series every Sunday for a portable church where I do FOH and not have they been pretty darn indestructible I often hear people compare them favorably to the main campus that has Myers cabinets
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use the QSC KW series every Sunday for a portable church where I do FOH and not have they been pretty darn indestructible I often hear people compare them favorably to the main campus that has Myers cabinets
View Quote

They are great sounding loudspeakers, but I have had problems with them.  The inputs are wonky and if a good connection isn't made it creates distortion.

I finally had to call QSC and they were well aware of the issue.  They recommended using XLR turnarounds and using the outputs as inputs.  The output jack locks the cable in place whereas the input jack does not.  I have tried this with limited success.

The distortion problems have never really gone away.  The K series monitors I use are still prone to crapping out if guys want them loud.  I would never spend my own money on them.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have been leaning towards the EV's mentioned above.  Looked at the EV ZLX powered 12's yesterday...thinking 15's are going to be better though.  

anyone using the ZLX series?  any preference on the powered versus un-powered ZLX's?

Also...one brand that pops up a lot locally is Seismic Audio..I know it is not EV quality...but is anyone using those??

burning hotel points on this purchase...my toy fund from my travels.
View Quote

I would go with the ones I linked to way before I would even look at Seismic Audio. I gig with mine and they have been fantastic speakers.

Too many are brand sensitive...If it ain't got a certain logo on the front it isn't any good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They are great sounding loudspeakers, but I have had problems with them.  The inputs are wonky and if a good connection isn't made it creates distortion.

I finally had to call QSC and they were well aware of the issue.  They recommended using XLR turnarounds and using the outputs as inputs.  The output jack locks the cable in place whereas the input jack does not.  I have tried this with limited success.

The distortion problems have never really gone away.  The K series monitors I use are still prone to crapping out if guys want them loud.  I would never spend my own money on them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

we use the KW series and run XLRs to them so maybe that is the difference but we beat the living crap out of them, drive them hard and put them away hot. I have run FOH with them on some battle of the band shows with 115 db a weighted back at the board 125 feet from them and they keep kicking

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you ever intend to play out, providing your own PA?  If so, you can use monitor wedges as your "mains" in the practice hall, and as floor monitors when gigging out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]
ended up buying the EV ZLX-12P's.  Powered, 1000 watt

light, easy to use, great connections to add subs to them if I want to run them with subs.  Also loved how they can be run as wedge monitors as the system grows.  

they sound awesome....crisp, clean, nice bass response...great audio range.  

thanks for the advice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top