Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2016 11:12:28 PM EDT

From Wikipedia:

Dystopia is the fifteenth studio album by American thrash metal band Megadeth, released on January 22, 2016. The album, produced by Dave Mustaine and Chris Rakestraw, is the first by the band since 2004's The System Has Failed not to feature longtime drummer Shawn Drover and also the first not to feature guitarist Chris Broderick since 2007's United Abominations. These roles have been filled by Lamb of God drummer Chris Adler and Angra guitarist Kiko Loureiro respectively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So without Shawn Drover on drums and Chris Broderick on guitar, I was skeptical about the quality of this album. But I've heard Adler is a decent drummer even though I'm not a huge fan of Lamb Of God. I have heard some Angra songs and Kiko is a pretty good guitarist.

For this album, Megadeth is:

Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars

David Ellefson – bass guitar and backing vocals

Kiko Loureiro - lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars, piano on "Poisonous Shadows"

Chris Adler - drums

1. The Threat Is Real- Good opening song for the album, Mustaine's vocals are a little in the low range though. Nothing remarkable, but a solid starting track nonetheless.

2. Dystopia- Lyrics are kind of a jumble that don't make sense at times, but I guess the message still gets through and Dave's voice sounds almost like the old days. Holy shit that long outro solo is killer.

3. Fatal Illusion- Bass intro is awesome leading into face melting guitar. Definite speedmetal feel, fucking brutal story being told in this one.

4. Death From Within- Cool muffed intro leading strait into a fat metal riff and vocals. Rightgeous solo. Love the lyrics.

"On the march... No place to run

Time has come... No where to hide

The moon is red... No one is safe

From spilling blood... no living thing survives"

"Here they fight... regretting nothing

Here you die... the walls are caving in

Nothing left... a lethal encounter

Its judgment time... when death comes from within"

5. Bullet To The Brain- Nice acoustic intro. A good showing of Dave's vocal range in this one. I'd call this one a sequel to the song Shewolf, definitely about the darker side of romantic relationships.

6. Post American World- Ohhh nice guitar and drum intro. Fuck yes, this is yet another song where Dave says what I'm thinking. Very relevant with everything that's going on in today's world. Wow.

More acoustic guitar leading into a brain pulverizing electric guitar solo. This is definitely an early favorite for me.

Some lyrics:

"If you don't like where we're going

Then you won't like what's coming next

What will we look like?

In a post American world

Why cower to all those

Who oppose the American world?"

"When you walk away from that which makes you strong

You only fool yourself; you only weaken your cause

There's creeping hate if you resist the false narrative

Crushing all the dissenters who still think for them selves"

7. Poisonous Shadows- Classical acoustic guitar intro leading into a melodic metal beat. Slower paced song that comes alive with a kickass solo. Slow piano outro with whispered lyrics is pretty haunting. I dig it.

8. Conquer Or Die- Instrumental that starts out with a long classic Spanish guitar intro leading to a stone cold metal groove and shredding guitar.

9. Lying In State- Head banging right from the start. From the first line of lyrics:

"What we are witnessing is the decline of western civilization

Crushing our potential and piling it on, how will history portray us?

Attack the family, attack their faith and dreams

Attack the body and the head will fall"

More lyric snippets:

"Another day, another manufactured crisis keeping the people distracted"

"Its opiates for the masses under cloak as hope and change

The "new normal" or just more of the same?"

Yep, this is another one of those songs where Dave's just sayin' what we're thinking. Powerful song.

10. The Emperor- Interesting song, done in an interesting style. Starts out heavy, frantic solo, ends heavy. Trying something new with the vocal styling here I believe. I like it. Oh yeah and these lines:

"You're bad... you're bad for my health

Because you make me sick......you prick.

Don't you know... don't you know who I am?

You know I like your face.....to kick."

11. Foreign Policy- (Cover of the band Fear): Definitely a punk/metal feel to this one, never heard the original though. It's a decent track, but not what I would've ended the album with, pretty weak IMO.

BONUS TRACKS

Last Dying Wish- (iTunes bonus track) So, this should've been the closer for the album, not the Foreign Policy, Fear cover song. Would be a cool song to get you pumped up and ready to go.

Mostly Dave talking over a metal riff with only the chorus being sung, I like it. Masterful guitar work. Of course, a shredding solo makes it even better.

Look Who's Talking- (Best Buy bonus track) Ohhhhhh yeeeeeah. Hard n' heavy throughout, face melting solo. "Get the fuck out of my face!" type lyrics full of anger and angst. This could be another candidate for favorite. I may even call this one a sort of sequel to Sweating Bullets, definitely has that feel to it.

A bit of the lyrics:

"People tell me you've been talking."

I hear you've got a big mouth.

Saying things you know aren't true.

What the Hell are you talking about?"

"So now we have a conundrum

And the problem is clearly you

This is the part where it gets ugly

And the solutions' getting rid of you."

Melt The Ice Away- (Budgie cover) (Spotify bonus track) Now this is a song I've heard the original to, as a fan of Budgie. A hard rock vibe like the original. Dave nailed this one, might be better than the original.

Me Hate You- (Japanese edition bonus track) This one is ripping it up from the start. Aw Hell yeah!

Some lyrics:

"All you make me wanna do is hate."

"If you're trying to make me hate you,

It's working."

Megadeth Dystopia:

Overall:

A very strong showing, obviously the two new members fit in well and maybe it was for the best that Drover and Broderick decided to part ways.

Much better than their last album, Super Collider.

IMHO there are no bad songs on this album, that Foreign Policy cover song is the weakest link in an otherwise excellent album.

I'm very pleased with Dystopia and put it up there with Endgame and Thirteen, but not up there with classic albums like Rust In Peace or Peace Sells. I'm sure I'll come to like it even more with repeated listening.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The OP covered it pretty good so I'll just say I concour.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks OP!  Didnt know about this.  Picking it up now!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I preordered through Amazon, got it the second it came out, and basically haven't stopped playing it.  It is a VERY nice album.  I would put it on par with Endgame, if not slightly higher.  Dave definitely still has it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been meaning to pick this up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It is one heck of a lot better than the new Dream Theater album.

I've listened through it a few times and have been enjoying it... Megadeth is one of those bands that never quite got the credit they deserved IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've listened through it a few times and have been enjoying it... Megadeth is one of those bands that never quite got the credit they deserved IMHO.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

Yep. Seemed to be always overshadowed by Metallica and other metal bands of that era. Still, Megadeth was always my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I was impressed with it. Couple really good tracks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
XMs liquid Metal has been playing a few songs and so far I like it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Just downloaded it and am listening to it now. This really brings me back to why I have always liked Megadeth over Metallica. Sasquatch really said it all with his review. I need to give it a few more listens but this really is a great album if you're into this type of music.

Listening to this album really shows me how much how Dave and the various incarnations of Megadeth has influenced my playing and writing style. No matter the style of music I'm playing (metal, rock, jazz, blues etc) or on what instrument (I also play brass and percussion along with guitar and bass), syncopated rhythms, time signature changes, and odd tonalities permeate my playing. Dave's rhythm guitar playing and time keeping did more for me as a musician than any instructor I ever had.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Going to see Megadeth tomorrow night.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top