Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2016 1:44:50 PM EDT
Been playing more nylon string music lately (and lining up gigs for that). I have a $2K Cordoba FCWE Reissue flamenco that I've been playing for several years. It's got a solid spruce top and solid cypress back and sides. I wanted to add something with more bass for some of the jazzy/bossa nova stuff I've been playing lately. So I jumped on a 2 year, 0% interest Musicians Friend deal on a Cordoba 55FCE Negra Limited (also a thin body, cutaway with electronics like my FCWE). It's got a solid spruce top, with Ziricote back and sides. This wood is such an interesting-looking wood... much like Brazilian rosewood. And it's got a similar tone. This particular model normally runs over $1500, but I got mine as an "open box" model for $1000. It just showed up yesterday and I really like it. It's got a more robust bottom-end thump, and a slightly mellower top-end than my FCWE. It's my fifth Cordoba and is an awesome guitar as always. I've posted a crappy cell phone pic of it taken in my office below. The real wood is much more striking in person than in my badly-lighted photo. I couldn't find a single scratch or scuff on it... so I got a mint/new guitar for 33% off the regular price.

Fast-forward to this morning. Since I've been getting more and more back into nylon string acoustics, I've been jonesing for another good, full-bodied classical, so I can re-connect with some of the repetoire that I used to play at weddings and churches when I was doing strictly classical standards. The two Cordobas mentioned above are great flamenco and jazz guitars, but don't have the full, robust, and yet mellow tones required to do justice for classical pieces. So this morning I jumped on another 2 years, no interest MF deal on a mint C12 SP. They normally run almost $1800, but I got this also "open box" guitar for $999. It should arrive next week sometime and I'll post pics and a review then (for the few here who may be interested in classical guitars).

My Cordoba 55FCE Negra Limited...

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Very purty..It has kind of a liquid flow to the grain. I keep telling myself I need a nylon string guitar but with the ever increasing arthritis
in my hands I don't think it would be a worth while move. If it sounds as good as it looks you have scored a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very purty..It has kind of a liquid flow to the grain. I keep telling myself I need a nylon string guitar but with the ever increasing arthritis in my hands I don't think it would be a worth while move. If it sounds as good as it looks you have scored a keeper.
View Quote

I can see why you'd be reluctant to spend more money on another guitar. But I will say that in terms of a guitar that would be easier on the hands... it would be hard to beat a nylon string for that.

Also, I've had arthritis in both of my wrists that started causing me issues about six years ago. I quickly found Glucosamin Sulfate (NOT the Condroitin that you usually see) and I take two pills every morning. My wrists are fine. Any time I forget to take my pills for a couple of days the pain starts coming back. It really has been a huge difference for me personally. Takes a couple of weeks to start being obvious when you first start taking it. Maybe you're already tried it, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Congrats!
View Quote

Thanks bud! I wish I could quit my day job, so I could do my hobbies full-time. But then I wouldn't have any money for my hobbies. The age-old dilemma I guess...
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks bud! I wish I could quit my day job, so I could do my hobbies full-time. But then I wouldn't have any money for my hobbies. The age-old dilemma I guess...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

Well, I guess you just need to have the winning ticket Saturday night.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

Oh trust me... I've been daydreaming a lot about that.

If I win that lotto, I'm gonna have my buddy's shop (soon to be mine in that case) send you the Friedman amp of your choice to go with your Splawn.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.

My Earl Klugh/Lennie Breau obsession has me on nylon most days. I always have played in proper classical position, but even then I notice my small hands lack for some stuff on classical instruments. I always fight between nails/no nails, too. Nails hurt me on steel, but kill my tremolo on nylon.

Anyway, have fun!
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely beautiful!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top