Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 12:53:10 AM EDT
I have a Korg MS-20 (reissue) and a Novation Impulse 61 - love the feel of that keyboard.

I've been using Garage Band with the controller and while it's OK for basic stuff and has a fantastic grand piano sound, I'm looking for something else. I've used up my trial on Ableton Live and while I know it's amazingly powerful, it's really complex and I'm not ready to drop the coin on full version. I have a nice mixer that presents itself to the computer as a sound card with full duplex playback and recording.

I'd like some software that can do some sampling, VSTs for the controller, and audio in from my MS-20 and basses. What do you guys recommend? I'm not at all opposed to paying for software, just don't want to drop $750 right now. It needs to run on a Mac.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Look into mixcraft.  Personally I just use Fruity Loops because I can't seem to get my head around constructing a song out of loops so I just make lots of loops.  I just do it for personal entertainment though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look into mixcraft.  Personally I just use Fruity Loops because I can't seem to get my head around constructing a song out of loops so I just make lots of loops.  I just do it for personal entertainment though.
View Quote
I use mixcraft 7

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Reaper.

They let you use it for 60 days for free. Some say that it keeps working after the 60 days, but they only ask $60 for it, so I went ahead and payed it. It's a great DAW for the price.

That said, the latest version of Pre Sonus Studio One is ultimately what I want to get.

For drums, I've been using Toontrack EZDrummer2.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Reaper is bang for the buck. (I dont recall its sampler sequencing abilities or if it comes with any effects or virtual instruments)

Cubase will cost a bit more but I like it a hell of a lot better

Reason is good for sequencing and virtual instruments and samples

Reason can also run within Cubase and also Reaper I think.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Reaper for DAW, EZ Drummer 2 for drums, Amplitube for Guitar, bass, and vocals.

Relatively cheap for good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Reaper for cheap and very functional. It just went to v5.0 and includes VST3 I think. I have a copy that I use to send stuff that I do in Digital Performer for others to work on. DP9 is still on vst3, and I'd love to use the sidechain on a couple of VST effects. I might fly them into reaper and cut the effect, and fly it back.

I also use easy drummer. I think there are still a bunch of EZdrummer style deals for half price on guitar center's site right now. I grabbed a bunch of them.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
DAW: Pro Tools 11 and Sonar X3 Producer, also Audacity for quick stuff.
Drums: EZ Drummer 2, Fruity Loops PE, Battery 3
Guitar: Mic'd amps via mixer, Eleven Rack, Line 6 Pod HD, Bias and JamUp Pro (via iPad)
Virtual Synths: Many of the synrths from Native Instruments also M-Audio M-Tron and Korg Legacy synths
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top