Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 7:45:37 PM EDT
I have been wanting to get back into playing guitar for a long time so yesterday I picked up a nice PRS SE six string for a great price. I have been playing bass for 20+ years and just do it as a hobby, putting on the headphones and playing along to some Rush or Maiden. What would you recommend for some good online or self learning materials? I did play guitar back in HS so I know my basic chords and a few scales. While not a total newbie I want to learn from the ground up and go from there! I think my biggest thing I want to learn is how to move from position to position up and down the neck. Its all black magic to me at this point. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to youtube. Many a video for the music you want to play.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The instrument gets easier to learn when you start to see it as a collection of linked systems. Scale, octave, intervals and triads.

First, though, I'd learn my 5 position caged fingerings. Forget modal thinking just see them as linked major/relative minor scales. There are three/four note per string systems, as well that may fit rock/legato players better. Pick one and play it one position at a time until you know it. By the time you know one you'll know the other.

When you know your major scale in all positions I would find a graduated learning system which fits your style. If you find one on YouTube or like Justin guitar that's great, but it's really easy to get lost inside too much info and not know what you are learning. Maybe look into truefire or a similar site.

Also, there is no better ground up than a modern method for guitar.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top