Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
Bought my 2011 Guild D-55 brand new

Didn't want any work done on it till the wood and glues had time to set up and cure
It has the most beautiful tone and loud to boot
But now it's starting to buzz on several frets (not too bad depending upon the day and how much humidity is in the air)

I don't mind my action a little high and can't stand any fret buzz on my guitars

The place I bought the guitar from does not have an in-house tech and contracts all work out so I'm unable to speak directly to the tech about how I want it set up and for them to tell me exactly what they will do. It's like a super secret when I asked for the techs number. They wouldn't give it to me (got his name though)
However, they have been in business for at least 35 yrs

I live 2 1/2 hrs away from Nashville and am thinking about taking a trip down there and have someone work on it there and have a live person I can talk to directly
I'll pay a little more I'm sure but the interstate traffic around Nashville is horrible and really don't know who to contact

It should IMO simply be a matter of lightly leveling the frets (it is in 'like new' condition), right?
I just hate the thought of someone grinding away at the bone nut and saddle if it can be avoided

WWYD? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Where on the neck is it buzzing?

Buzzing up high (frets 1-6 or so) means something totally different from fret buzz around 10-15...

I would consider having a professional 'setup' done before any permanent modifications to the nut, saddle or frets themselves.  A quick truss rod tweak may be all it really needs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where on the neck is it buzzing?

Buzzing up high (frets 1-6 or so) means something totally different from fret buzz around 10-15...

I would consider having a professional 'setup' done before any permanent modifications to the nut, saddle or frets themselves.  A quick truss rod tweak may be all it really needs.
View Quote

5th an 7th fret across the strings
I forgot about adjusting the truss rod

A little turn at a time. I may be able to handle that
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I would stabilize the moisture content of the wood first.
Then, I would check the neck with a notched straightedge and adjust truss rod if necessary.
If buzzing was still there, I would start checking fret level to see whats going on.
Then, I decide what to do.

http://guildguitars.com/support/product-care/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/humidifiers-for-fretted-instruments
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you keep it humidified . I keep a humidifier running in my studio 7 months out of the year and a hygrometer mounted on the wall. Still need to adjust the truss rods about twice a year on all my guitars.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
No, I don't humidify nor de-humidify my guitars (whole 'nother thread)
I used to but for me, I simply avoid any drastic changes and let the guitar acclimate before opening the case

However, humidity really isn't the problem as it does keep that buzz regardless

I'll run a straight edge on it hopefully today and the truss rod just needs a small tweak
I'm guessing a slight 'concave' board is the ideal, though none is acceptable if I've read it right

Thanks  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I used to but for me, I simply avoid any drastic changes and let the guitar acclimate before opening the case

I'll run a straight edge on it hopefully today and the truss rod just needs a small tweak

I'm guessing a slight 'concave' board is the ideal, though none is acceptable if I've read it right

Thanks  

View Quote
Too dry is moocho bad for solid wood acoustics. I was indifferent to humidity for years before I saw first hand what being to dry could do to a $3,000 four month old Martin ... Wasn't my guitar but a good friend and band member.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on how much it has been played, a truss rod adjustment may do it.

If not you may need a full setup including leveling and crowning the frets.  Kinda like getting a front end alignment for your car - they need it sometimes.

Worst case you have a twisted neck.  What strings are rattling?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Too dry is moocho bad for solid wood acoustics. I was indifferent to humidity for years before I saw first hand what being to dry could do to a $3,000 four month old Martin ... Wasn't my guitar but a good friend and band member.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  

What happened to it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What happened to it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks  

What happened to it?
The top and back cracked. He sent it back to Martin for repairs. They did a great job but it will always be a repaired guitar now.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The top and back cracked. He sent it back to Martin for repairs. They did a great job but it will always be a repaired guitar now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  

What happened to it?

Ouch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top