Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 4:01:09 AM EDT
Or, more appropriately, how do you link the end of a fill with the beginning of the next part?

I'm not a drummer, but I can play them well enough when jamming with the old blues guys that I can do it. Playing fills is very natural to me. I get where things begin and start. But where the disconnect begins is when I'm applying drum fills to my own music. I currently have two songs I'm working on where I just can't get these little fills that go along with the licks on guitar to chain together.

I use a program called EZDrummer and I've looked at their fills, how they start loopable bits, etc. My problem isn't with stuff that's fast, but stuff that's  punctuated with the other instruments.

Here are two examples of songs I'm working on that I'd like to get some drum fills in. The first is a sort of poppy, punky, Torche-esque number.

The second is a darker song, more in the style of The Sword. It has a No More Tears vibe to it. Forgive the vocals, I don't know how I want to sing this yet. However, you'll probably see where I'd like some synced drum fills. After the verse and chorus it should be apparent.

https://soundcloud.com/credge/witches-brew-proto

So, how do you guys do it? What's the secret?

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You could manipulate the individual(real) hits on one or two tracks into a fill that works. Slice and dice.

Or you can use a trigger /pad to build the fills.  I use the alesis Perc Pad for that kind of thing.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm writing them in midi. The problem I'm finding is that the fills don't flow naturally back in to the verse. The timing just doesn't seem to fit right despite it fitting perfectly without a fill.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Upgrade to EZdrummer 2. The Tap2Find function is great. Just tap out the basic pattern you want and it finds stuff that's close, or in some cases dead on, and lists them by percentage of closeness. Then pick the one you like, drop it in the song creator, and BAM, you have anywhere from 6 to 10 or 12 patterns to choose from for each song part along with fills. I usually end up snipping stuff together for fills.

Go to YouTube and look up Ola Englund's EZDrummer2 tutorial.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I just play what feels right. Get in that groove and do what your heart tells you to do and don't over think it. Have that arsenal of tricks that you can depend on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top