Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 2:31:22 PM EDT
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Tool - Lateralus/AEnima
10 Years - Autumn Effect

Outside of the last one, I know what the guys use, but have to think there's a budget way to get their sound. Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just not sure that there's a real "budget" answer, here.

As I'm sure you realize, musicians at that level have practically unlimited options in the studio.  When the recorded sound is likely the product of say 30 guitar tracks made with ten different amps and eight different guitars, how do you reduce the tone to something that can be replicated with one cheap amp?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
On the last one this will get you most of the way you need to go.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of budget do you have? Do you have any instruments already?

There are a billion different ways to go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
A fender mustang III is a very programmable good sounding SS amp that might be your
ticket. I don't own one but the other guitar player in our band uses one for practices and it does everything his peddle board does and then some .

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#5]
There's enough studio work with albums that it'll be hard to get exactly there. I really like tube amps - have a 5150, 50 Caliber+, and a Mark V, and I had an epiphany over the last few months thanks to this:

My guitar instructor has a couple albums out, and he was Neal Schon's rig designer/tech a decade or two ago. He's a DiMarzio endorsee, and can do things with his customized Squire Strat and a Boss GT-6 through studio monitors that I barely believe while watching with my own eyes. That's for teaching & studio, and gets at least 80% there.

His album and gig rigs include custom Egnater and Suhr amps, though, so he can go big ticket when needed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's enough studio work with albums that it'll be hard to get exactly there. I really like tube amps - have a 5150, 50 Caliber+, and a Mark V, and I had an epiphany over the last few months thanks to this:

My guitar instructor has a couple albums out, and he was Neal Schon's rig designer/tech a decade or two ago. He's a DiMarzio endorsee, and can do things with his customized Squire Strat and a Boss GT-6 through studio monitors that I barely believe while watching with my own eyes. That's for teaching & studio, and gets at least 80% there.

His album and gig rigs include custom Egnater and Suhr amps, though, so he can go big ticket when needed.
View Quote

Cool
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool

It really opened my eyes to what can be done with modeling, even on a 10 year old piece of hardware. The new Fractal and Kemper stuff must be amazing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It really opened my eyes to what can be done with modeling, even on a 10 year old piece of hardware. The new Fractal and Kemper stuff must be amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool

Amazing yes, but I can always tell digital from 'real' and that's a whole other can of worms.

I already have a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet, PRS CE24 guitar, Ibanez 7, Older Strat, TC flashback, Maxon OD808, set with a bunch of basics; just can't find a head I'm happy with....though honestly there's not much I've been able to try around here, amp market is dry, Guitar Center carries bottom of the bin stuff here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Amazing yes, but I can always tell digital from 'real' and that's a whole other can of worms.

I already have a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet, PRS CE24 guitar, Ibanez 7, Older Strat, TC flashback, Maxon OD808, set with a bunch of basics; just can't find a head I'm happy with....though honestly there's not much I've been able to try around here, amp market is dry, Guitar Center carries bottom of the bin stuff here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool

I'm still in starry-eyed love with the Mark V purchased a year ago. Gorgeous cleans? Yep. Grit? Yep. Classic rock? Yep. Sustaining feedback that can morph from the fundamental into a harmonic wail? Yep. I don't even begin to do the amp justice. I've had a Marshall SL-X head, a stereo tube effects-heavy rig, the 50+ and 5150, and a handful of solid state stuff.

After all of those, nothing brings a smile to my face more than plugging in to the V with nothing in the chain but a noise gate, occasional delay, and sometimes a little compression or tube screamer. I'm a no talent hack, but I sound better playing badly than ever before.

It's worth a look if you're in that price point. If the amp market is grim there, it may even be worth ordering from Sweetwater or going on eBay.  You could probably flip it locally if you didn't like it. The 25 watt version is probably also worth a look.

I'm amazed at what modelers can do, and they are good within their limits. At heart, I still love glowing tubes.

If you're wanting versatility and tubes with some good modern sounds at a price that doesn't hemorrhage money, look into the new Peavey micro heads or Hughes & Kettner offerings.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
What I've never understood is why people say they can hear the difference between modelers and the real thing. What I mean is, it doesn't really matter. The question shouldn't be "does it sound real, fake, or like what it's emulating." The question should be "does it sound good."

I use a mix of my real amps and sims when recording. While I only use the real thing live, I bring my gt8 to every gig in case my sound completely goes out. I also use it for a few songs as there is a specific effect I use that I can't emulate.

Anyway, ymmv. Everyone is different and everyone's needs are different.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I've never understood is why people say they can hear the difference between modelers and the real thing. What I mean is, it doesn't really matter. The question shouldn't be "does it sound real, fake, or like what it's emulating." The question should be "does it sound good."

I use a mix of my real amps and sims when recording. While I only use the real thing live, I bring my gt8 to every gig in case my sound completely goes out. I also use it for a few songs as there is a specific effect I use that I can't emulate.

Anyway, ymmv. Everyone is different and everyone's needs are different.
View Quote

You may take my GT8 when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Start thinking 'stereo'.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Mesa Mark V:25.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top