Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 11:46:48 PM EDT
I have seen several people online suggest Rocksmith 2014 as a good way to teach yourself guitar (I just got my first at age 47 last week). What say ye about this?? Any experiences, good or bad??

Also, which version have you found to be best, the PC or game/ps4 version?? (I do NOT currently own a game system and would prefer NOT to get one-I don't need more expense and reasons for wasting time-that's why I got the guitar!!)

Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Rocksmith is a fantastic way to learn. I prefer to use a PC because I can sit in the same place I practice, load it up, and just play along to some songs or use it as a sound base for backing tracks. If you don't have a console, get it for PC. I've only had issues with it on Windows 8.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
There was some sort of HDMI audio lag issue on consoles last I checked. If you already have a PC, don't bother buying a console.

Rocksmith is a good start, but you're either going to need lessons or to do some self teaching using the Internet before you really "get it." I'd suggest lessons so you can have someone experienced point out things you're doing wrong. Rocksmith isn't very good at pointing out fuck ups. As long as you get something kinda right it will act like you nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was some sort of HDMI audio lag issue on consoles last I checked. If you already have a PC, don't bother buying a console.

View Quote

Easily solved with a $5 optical cable.

I like Rocksmith, but something about it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm too used to tabs. I used it for about a week then kinda lost interest. I need to pick it up again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like Rocksmith, but something about it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm too used to tabs. I used it for about a week then kinda lost interest. I need to pick it up again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got it, and I found that the neck being "backwards" on the screen screws me up. I"m also used to reading TABS, and I'm already programmed to read the neck from the front view. Rocksmiths backwards view, screws me up, and it makes me fall behind on songs I already know!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've got it, and I found that the neck being "backwards" on the screen screws me up. I"m also used to reading TABS, and I'm already programmed to read the neck from the front view. Rocksmiths backwards view, screws me up, and it makes me fall behind on songs I already know!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think that's what it was for me too...it's been a while.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Backwards, as in a mirror view?

If so, that wouldn't really screw with me because I do watch myself play in a mirror once in awhile just to see what's going on while I'm doing it. It is a good way to improve technique.

As far as console VS PC, go with whichever way has more horsepower, because all modern games including this one are system hogs.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just like looking in a mirror. I can't wrap my brain around it, and it screws me up every time!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you can change the view in the settings.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have seen several people online suggest Rocksmith 2014 as a good way to teach yourself guitar (I just got my first at age 47 last week). What say ye about this?? Any experiences, good or bad??

Also, which version have you found to be best, the PC or game/ps4 version?? (I do NOT currently own a game system and would prefer NOT to get one-I don't need more expense and reasons for wasting time-that's why I got the guitar!!)

Thanks, Bill
View Quote

No sense buying a console just for Rocksmith if you already have a PC.

About the only issue you might have on the PC version is if you're using a USB soundcard.  Outputting through that will cause immense lag.  Odds are if you do, you'll still have some sort of regular speaker interface on the motherboard or something.  You'd just have to use those for Rocksmith.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]

You can invert the strings.

It's under Tools -> Options -> Play Settings -> Invert Strings

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet!!! I'll bust it back out today, and play it again!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that helps. Thanks for the tip- I didn't look very hard in the options.

Now though...I have my sound going through a receiver I wasn't using before and I have some terrible lag I can't get rid of. I have my XBone going straight to the receiver with an optical cable, made all the adjustments I could and still really bad delay- even on the home screen with no visuals...hmmm...
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Now though...I have my sound going through a receiver I wasn't using before and I have some terrible lag I can't get rid of. I have my XBone going straight to the receiver with an optical cable, made all the adjustments I could and still really bad delay- even on the home screen with no visuals...hmmm...
View Quote

I don't have any experience with that sort of setup but a quick browse of a couple of threads on their forum shows a few possible fixes:

1. Make sure the XBone's audio setting for optical is set for Stereo Uncompressed.

2. Set your receiver to Source Direct (or Direct, or S-Direct).

3. Try disabling any tone shaping effects built into your receiver.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't have any experience with that sort of setup but a quick browse of a couple of threads on their forum shows a few possible fixes:

1. Make sure the XBone's audio setting for optical is set for Stereo Uncompressed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, thanks man. Will check it out, haven't had too much time to troubleshoot yet. Already did 1, bu 2 and 3 may be the problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#15]
For those of you having trouble with audio lag, etc with Rocksmith, make sure you go through the step by step procedures to configure your PC as recommended:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802854-Rocksmith-2014-PC-Configuration-and-FAQ?s=3d722553a5b5632f67a1781379e04dab
For the OP, hey I started playing guitar about a year and a half ago when I turned 46!  It is not too late for you.  
I started because I was intrigued by Rocksmith, and while I enjoy using it (I use the PC version), it is not my primary method of learning.  
I use http://www.justinguitar.com as my primary lesson structure.  I have his books/dvds and use those along with the online videos for songs, etc.  I supplement from time to time with other lessons.   I played the piano for 10 years when I was a kid so I have a good foundation in music theory which is helping a lot.  
Rocksmith is quite fun, though, for learning songs.  Make use of the riff repeater and you'll soon have the songs down.  I've done some of the Rocksmith lessons but don't really think they are that great or well structured, but that's probably due to how I learn.
I recommend trying different online lesson sources and see what works best for you.  I wouldn't just rely on the free stuff, though, or you will be missing out on a lot of necessary info.  
A real live teacher might work for you, too.  I didn't want to go that route because I didn't want the hassle of "auditioning" different teachers to find my style, and I remember when I took piano lessons--I hated it and it turned me off from music for many years.  What I am doing now is fun for me and I am learning a lot.  I enjoy practicing which is more than I could ever say about the piano.  
Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
We sound a lot alike except I can't play piano!!
I also found the justinguitar vids and have started them. They seem excellent so far..
l
Quoted:
For those of you having trouble with audio lag, etc with Rocksmith, make sure you go through the step by step procedures to configure your PC as recommended:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/802854-Rocksmith-2014-PC-Configuration-and-FAQ?s=3d722553a5b5632f67a1781379e04dab

For the OP, hey I started playing guitar about a year and a half ago when I turned 46!  It is not too late for you.  

I started because I was intrigued by Rocksmith, and while I enjoy using it (I use the PC version), it is not my primary method of learning.  

I use http://www.justinguitar.com as my primary lesson structure.  I have his books/dvds and use those along with the online videos for songs, etc.  I supplement from time to time with other lessons.   I played the piano for 10 years when I was a kid so I have a good foundation in music theory which is helping a lot.  

Rocksmith is quite fun, though, for learning songs.  Make use of the riff repeater and you'll soon have the songs down.  I've done some of the Rocksmith lessons but don't really think they are that great or well structured, but that's probably due to how I learn.

I recommend trying different online lesson sources and see what works best for you.  I wouldn't just rely on the free stuff, though, or you will be missing out on a lot of necessary info.  

A real live teacher might work for you, too.  I didn't want to go that route because I didn't want the hassle of "auditioning" different teachers to find my style, and I remember when I took piano lessons--I hated it and it turned me off from music for many years.  What I am doing now is fun for me and I am learning a lot.  I enjoy practicing which is more than I could ever say about the piano.  

Good luck.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been playing guitar and bass for over 20 years (brass instruments even longer) and have both the first edition and the 2014 edition of Rocksmith for XBox. The premise sounded incredible and I wanted to give it a try. The latency through the TV really bugged me so I stopped playing with each version shortly after getting them.

But recently my oldest boy started showing interest in playing bass. So we took the XBox that was in his room and brought it into my office/studio/music room/a place to keep my toys. Anyways, I set it up on a spare workstation that I have. Video goes into the second channel of a PC monitor and audio is routed through a mixer into a small USB interface into a pair of MAudio monitors. I let him run with it and after two days of work (having never played much more than holding a guitar and me trying to teach him fundamentals) he was off to the races and had "Pour Some Sugar On Me" down 95%. He's having a lot of fun learning to play and now he and I jam on that song through real amps without the game.

Anyways, his experience got me interested in the games again so I started playing. Of course, after 20 years of playing, I can zip through 50 or 60% of each song until it starts getting technical with me. The game actually does pay attention to what you play during the song and adapts accordingly. For example, I played "Pour Some Sugar On Me" in several different bands over the years. So the first time through I was playing notes, chords, and progressions that weren't on the screen. I also vamped some solo bits for fun. I scored well and the second time through the game jumped the playing level quite a bit....more so than when my son was working his way through.

As I play more of this game I notice that I am picking up new chords or techniques as well as remembering things that I have long forgotten. This is a great way to have fun while learning to play as well as a great practice aid.

That said, this is a game and should not take the place of proper instruction and downright practice. However, it is a great aid in the learning process (which never ends!) and is a lot more fun than learning scales and practicing chord changes (which you still need to do!)

BTW....get the PC version and add some good speakers or headphones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW: You can also get songs and charts online for the PC version.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe there is a setting for the audio delay to account for the slow update of some TV's.  I know Rockband/Guitarhero had such a setting and I think Rocksmith does as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both the XBox and the PC version.  Sometimes I like to jam on the couch in the living room instead of the where the computer is.  I just wish the accomplishments on one version would show up on the other.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Rocksmith is great (I have it on PC), but Justinguitar is even better.  Of course, it's very easy to "get both"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top