Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 5:04:37 PM EDT
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've been a lifelong musician with mutiple brass instruments. I've taught brass, I have two world championships in Drum and Bugle Corps and have been professionally recorded by the age of 16. I still activley play and have been invited to play at this years DCI World Finals in August with our  brass ensemble group (pretty stoked about that)

That all sounds fine and dandy.....right?

WRONG

Here's the problem..........

What's a brass player to do with his left hand except for help hold up what he's playing?

I've never used my left hand to play anything. I play a single note at any given time.

I'm wondering.......is guitar for me? I know I have it in me to learn it, but how hard is it, really?

I've never been much for music theory, just give me the chart and I'll play it however you want it, 110% every time. A screaming horn player with a set of iron lips. You need it done, you'll get it done type of player.

How hard is it to learn all those chords? Six strings, nine frets could mean a lot of different note and chord combos. I'm looking for some relaxing strumming type stuff for the back porch. Just some easy going fun stuff.

Talk to me Arfcom musicians. What are my chances of being successful at being a one handed single note player learning to play guitar?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a tuba player in jr high.  Now 40yrs later i teach guitar on

www.youtube.com/user/binbear4

Playing guitar is easy enough but mastery is life long. Lots of ytube begginers stuff. Buy a good low action guitar ....makes playing easier for begginners. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When you can put a cigarette out on your finger tips you will be ready.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fret the notes with your lips and tongue if you're that worried about it
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you can put a cigarette out on your finger tips you will be ready.
View Quote

OP, all you can do is give it a try, and if it's something you really want to do you'll figure out how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It was extremely hard for me to learn and still is.   I still like to play though.   Growing up I always liked music with loud guitars so I knew I would try to play one day.  I ended up not getting started until later on in life, but I'm glad I did.  

If you think the guitar is calling you I say give it a try.   You already have a sense of rhythm and melody with your experience.   I think that will help you immensely.   It is hard, it was at least for me anyway, but there are very few things I like better than learning even a small piece of a song that I really like.  

Most will tell you it is easier to learn on electric.  If you want to go that route pick up something like one of Earl Slicks new guitars or something from rondomusic.com  You can get a decent guitar from one of them for a great price.  

If you are only interested in acoustic I would recommend getting something in your budget with a solid wood top.   If you want to go cheap there are used and factory seconds with solid tops that sound great.  Retail sites like zzounds.com also let you make payments on certain instruments without applying for a credit card or anything.  Solid tops aren't essential, but I have always found them more responsive and forgiving with less than perfect technique.  In other words, they have always sounded a bit better when I don't get the fingering on a chord just right.   Which happens a lot...    There are some fine acoustics with laminate tops though.  

My lay around the house guitar is a factory second Ovation with a solid top, and it sounds great.  I got it for a little over $200.  

You will be strumming basic chords in no time.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fret the notes with your lips and tongue if you're that worried about it
View Quote

Do they make one of those?

The one thing that worries me is that I have no musical proficiency utilizing my left hand. This would be so new to me. I checked out some of the sources you guys have all pointed me to and it has my interest up.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
No procfiency in your left hand?  Do you even French Horn, bro?  

Just do it!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You probably have more proficiency in your left hand than you think you do. Stop and think about all the things you already do with your left hand. Open doors? Work the turn signal lever? Scratch yourself while running the computer mouse with the other hand?

That hurdle is in your head. Sure, your coordination won't be the best at first, but it will come with practice, just like any other instrument.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No procfiency in your left hand?  Do you even French Horn, bro?  

Just do it!  
View Quote

Been a long time since I've played a concert French Horn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Just get one and try.   I'm sure you will find it easier than the average shlub, but still pretty challenging.  

Learning the chords is easy.  Making your fingers do the unnatural, is difficult.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I went from Saxophone to Guitar, okay sax is 2 hands, but I knew how to read music, which helped a little bit
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]
We're getting some new music and arranging some group rehearsal time because we were asked to open for the DCI World Finals this year.

I will once be on the Championship field.........but in exhibition this time since aging out 28 years ago

But damn! It's great playing those old screaming charts!

I think once that is over, I'm going to put the time in to try and learn.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
The biggest thing I recommend is going to the guitar store and laying your cards on the table.  Tell them you know nothing about guitars, and that you want a guitar that will be friendly to a beginner.  Then try the different models they show you.  Each guitar has a different feel with the fret board and body.  Find one that your fingers like.  

I recommend getting a decent, cheap acoustic to start.  Saves the cost of the amp and cables, easy to tune, and has the rich sound you expect.  You can play a large range of music on a good acoustic.   I have an entry level Washburn acoustic/electric that I love playing.

Once you have picked one out, get a set of strings with .011 to .052.  Lots of guitars come with .012, which can hurt your fingers after a while.  The 11's sound great and play great.  I have Cleartone 11's on mine, and I am teaching (what little I know) to a guy that has D'Addarrio 11's on his (both sets are coated).  Just ask the guy at the store for a good set of 11's, he will know what you are talking about.

If you want to spoil yourself on a super easy guitar that sounds good, look for a backpack guitar.  I have an Alvarez that sounds GREAT.  The smaller body and shorter neck have similar range and sound to a full size guitar, but they also make it easier to hold and play.  Not to mention it's easy to transport to your local campfire.

Of course, if you aren't necessarily set on a 6 string, OR you have some left hand handicap, you could always get a concert size ukulele.  Uke's are MUCH easier to play, since they have four strings.  The chord shapes are pretty easy to learn, which is why ukes are making a strong comeback right now.  Then you could take a MUCH smaller and easier string instrument to the campout and STILL rock out the same songs.  Just don't try both at once!  You will completely confuse your brain on the chords going from uke to guitar and back.
Top Top