Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 10:41:29 AM EDT
So far my experience with this has not been good.  Damn thing won't stay in tune on a brand new 2015 Les Paul Studio.  

Last night I took the Gibson Strings off and very carefully installed new strings hoping someone goofed at the factory.  You have to follow a certain procedure when installing stings on the G-Force.  If this don't work I'm going to pull the SOB off and put a set of old school tuners on there!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have a 2015 Gibson... but I've heard that the strings have to be stretched so it takes some time for them to settle in.
Also, as you noted, have to be installed properly as it winds backward doesn't it?

Reviews make it seem like it "might" work ok... but I think I'll stick with my dumb, analog tuners.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my manumatic tuners,.. Suckers work great and stay in tune.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't have a 2015 Gibson... but I've heard that the strings have to be stretched so it takes some time for them to settle in.
Also, as you noted, have to be installed properly as it winds backward doesn't it?

Reviews make it seem like it "might" work ok... but I think I'll stick with my dumb, analog tuners.
View Quote

Yes they wind backwards.  But that's not all that's different when installing strings.  I'm 90% sure this was not string stretch.  I've been replacing stings on guitars since the late 80's.  

That's why I'm holding out judgement on the new strings.  

See this for details on how to install the strings.
http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Site-Images/Campaign/GFORCE/Documents/G%20FORCE%20Owner's%20Manual_2.32c.pdf
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those aren't an option on the 2015 Gibson's.  You get the G-Force or you don't get one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
you should sign up here

The Gforce has been a hit for years....starting with the first generation Robot Les Pauls to the Dusk Tiger to the Firebird X.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 2015 studio also, just haven't had any issues with staying in tune yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok so far the new strings may have fixed it.  The tuning stability was way better last night.  The little bit of detuning I experienced last night could have just been string stretch.  I'm hopeful at this point.  If so it must have been a noob that set up my LP at Gibson...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you should sign up here

The Gforce has been a hit for years....starting with the first generation Robot Les Pauls to the Dusk Tiger to the Firebird X.  
View Quote

I found at least two people complaining and several threads about removing it on that forum.  I did not see anything positive in my cursory search.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you recalibrate it?  Don't know if it'll help but it's say to do it if you change string brands.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a lot of complaining on the web about this auto tune crap that Gibson is using.  If you can't find it, you aren't searching hard enough.  FWIW, Gibson says you can deactivate it and use the tuners like normal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My problem wasn't with the ability of the G-Force to tune the guitar.  My problem was it would go out of tune in just a few minutes after the device shuts off.

The way it works it you activate it strum and the thing tunes.  Then it shuts off.  It will not come on again until you activate it again.  So my tuning issue was mechanical.  Some how the strings were slipping.  

Yes you can turn the tuners by hand so long as the device is turned off.  If you try to tune by hand while the device is on you risk stripping a gear.  Also the tuners turn backwards and it's 40 to 1 so it take a lot of turning to tune manually.

I read somewhere that on the High B and High E to wrap it around twice above the flange before screwing the lock down.  This is what I did with the new strings.  I also wrapped the string around the tuning peg a couple times like you would do on normal tuners.  Your not supposed to have to do that with the G-Force.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You also don't want to use a peg winder as this will strip the gears out as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like more trouble than its worth.  Somehow guitars have existed and have stayed in tune for centuries before this robot tuning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Sounds like more trouble than its worth.  Somehow guitars have existed and have stayed in tune for centuries before this robot tuning.
View Quote
uh..no. The guitar as we know it has not been around for centuries. But you are right in that we do not need

a robo tuner. When I first started playing guitar in the early 70's I had an E pitch tuning fork that I used to get the first and

sixth strings in tune to then tuned all the others to them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
uh..no. The guitar as we know it has not been around for centuries. But you are right in that we do not need   a robo tuner. When I first started playing guitar in the early 70's I had an E pitch tuning fork that I used to get the first and
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
uh..no. The guitar as we know it has not been around for centuries. But you are right in that we do not need   a robo tuner. When I first started playing guitar in the early 70's I had an E pitch tuning fork that I used to get the first and

I would have given up at the start if that was how I had to tune.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only recently upgraded from my pitch pipe.
I now have a Snark and am pondering adding a polytune to my pedal board (small but growing).
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my favorite local shops got some 2015s in in December, and the owner told me that he took a few of them and installed normal Grovers in place of the electronic monstrosity. Apparently they Grovers dropped right in and you can't even tell there was something else on there.

So if I ever wind up with one of these, that's what I'm doing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those aren't an option on the 2015 Gibson's.  You get the G-Force or you don't get one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is exactly why I won't buy any new Gibsons, among other things.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am glad I bought my 2013 traditional Les Paul.. Done been offered more for it than what

I paid by a large amount. I told them it wasn't for sale at this time.

Poor potato pic does not even come close to the look of this AX in person.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Gibson "Tronical" min-ETune (same as G-Force but 2012 model) and it was ok alone in a quite room but get that on a stage or in the rehearsal room with a bass player thumping and that thing gets all discombobulated.
It's a glorified headstock "vibration" tuner. Mine was free as I won the Les Paul it came on in a contest so I'm not out anything other than the price of a set of standard tuners.
I thought the new G-Force version was to be an improvement on the Tronical min-ETune system......maybe not. At least it's removable without impact to the guitar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't seen much in the way of positive reviews about the 2015 models, everything from fit and finish going (further) down the tubes to the hologram just being plain tacky. In a way I hope my 2013 standard doesn't sell but I need the cash . Once I can I'll buy a 2013/2014 with Grover locking tuners when this LP sells.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I haven't seen much in the way of positive reviews about the 2015 models, everything from fit and finish going (further) down the tubes to the hologram just being plain tacky. In a way I hope my 2013 standard doesn't sell but I need the cash . Once I can I'll buy a 2013/2014 with Grover locking tuners when this LP sells.
View Quote

I like the wider neck and the brass adjustable nut.

So Grover tuners are drop in for a Les Paul?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#23]

I've messed around with them a number of times at the music store - they work fine. I just don't see the appeal of having an auto-tuner on a Les Paul - to me, it kills the classic vibe of the entire thing. A Les Paul appeals to me because it's a classic instrument with killer looks and tone - not because it's got added state of the art flare.

The Gibson Les Paul is the 1911 of the guitar world - there are so many better options out there that cost less, weigh less, produce the same tone (and better), play better, and are more versatile. Yet, every guitarist needs one in their collection because it's an American classic.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've messed around with them a number of times at the music store - they work fine. I just don't see the appeal of having an auto-tuner on a Les Paul - to me, it kills the classic vibe of the entire thing. A Les Paul appeals to me because it's a classic instrument with killer looks and tone - not because it's got added state of the art flare.

The Gibson Les Paul is the 1911 of the guitar world - there are so many better options out there that cost less, weigh less, produce the same tone (and better), play better, and are more versatile. Yet, every guitarist needs one in their collection because it's an American classic.  
View Quote

Sadly this is why I had to have one.  I personally think the neck feels like playing a 2x4 with strings on it.  And don't get me started on trying to play on the upper frets or the sharp point on the neck heel...
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Disagree.  I've yet to find another guitar that sounds like a les Paul except for the high end replicas.  ESPs and PRS singlecuts come close but nothing compares to my gibsons.  Ymmv
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Disagree.  I've yet to find another guitar that sounds like a les Paul except for the high end replicas.  ESPs and PRS singlecuts come close but nothing compares to my gibsons.  Ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I have always been a fan of the classic Gibson tone you get from a good Les Paul.  However, I do find it aggravating that they seem to try and make something mainstream by removing the option to not have it on the guitar.   That goes for any company really.  

I won't buy a new Gibson anymore... Just too many problems out of the box on expensive guitars.  I have sold all of mine over the last few years.  The only one I regret selling was my Raw Power Les Paul.    That guitar sound really cool and just screamed.   I sold it for a lot more than I bought for so I couldn't convince myself to keep it at the time.  

Anyway, good luck with your guitar.  I hope you get it tuned in the way you want it.   I would probably take those tuners off if it were me.   I'm a little old-fashioned sometimes I guess.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Agree to disagree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree to disagree.

Just for conversation's sake, what guitars are you referencing?  I won't say "better" since that's way too subjective.

I get the ergonomics thing- my SC245 is far more comfy to play with the belly cut and better fret access.   My 245 also weighs less, but it's chambered; my Gibsons are solid.

Hard to argue with you on cost, especially with this year's lineup.  $3700 MAP for a USA LP Std?   Of course PRS ain't all that cheap depending on the model.  But $3700?  That's retarded.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just for conversation's sake, what guitars are you referencing?  I won't say "better" since that's way too subjective.

I get the ergonomics thing- my SC245 is far more comfy to play with the belly cut and better fret access.   My 245 also weighs less, but it's chambered; my Gibsons are solid.

Hard to argue with you on cost, especially with this year's lineup.  $3700 MAP for a USA LP Std?   Of course PRS ain't all that cheap depending on the model.  But $3700?  That's retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree to disagree.

Most Gibson Les Pauls have what Gibason calls weight relief (1" holes drilled in the body under the top) or are chambered.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most Gibson Les Pauls have what Gibason calls weight relief (1" holes drilled in the body under the top) or are chambered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree to disagree.

Sure do.  Not my Historics though
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a 2015 Gibson LP studio with the gforce tuners. The low E tuner was stripped from the factory.
Easy to replace so I did and didn't try arguing with Gibon tech support. They suck in my experience.
I didn't even get a charger with the guitar, tried in vain to get gibson to send me one. Finally just said screw
It and ordered one.

Anyway, I hated the gforce at first. I am warming to it. It is fun to have all those tunings quickly available.

If it was my only les paul I would take it off ASAP. I did restring and calibrate the tuner before I even played the guitar.

No tuning stability issues yet. And the tuning is very accurate according to my Peterson strobe.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I gave up and replaced it with Grover's.  I'm so much happier now.  Somehow the strings were slipping and losing tension.

As a bonus the headstock now looks like a Les Paul from the back instead of some kind of mutant cyborg.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I gave up and replaced it with Grover's.  I'm so much happier now.  Somehow the strings were slipping and losing tension.

As a bonus the headstock now looks like a Les Paul from the back instead of some kind of mutant cyborg.
View Quote

I was at GC earlier this week and looked at a couple Gibson LPs and they both had the robotic tuner thingy. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Boy I'm glad Fender isn't putting that crap on their guitars.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Gibson still makes guitars without these things on them. If you go to their website and look.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gibson still makes guitars without these things on them. If you go to their website and look.
View Quote

Very very few in their 2015 line.  Only the extreme high end "Supreme" and maybe custom shop.

Taking the G-Force off and swapping in the Grover's was very easy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Very very few in their 2015 line.  Only the extreme high end "Supreme" and maybe custom shop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and you can probably hock that damn G-Force thingy on Flea Bay for at least what you payed for the Grovers.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From Gibsons website...Retail $1,599..I would not call this high end for a Gibson.

I am still glad I bought my Traditional 2013...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top