Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 2:58:47 PM EDT
I'm somewhat of a techie but when it comes to live audio I'm limited on my understanding.  We currently have a 16 channel sound board at church but we're looking to upgrade.  Basically we need the capability to have a total of 16 microphones and a PC audio input.  We're looking to upgrade to something that allows for control remotely via a tablet (iPad or whatever).

I have found this but I'm not sure if this will work.

Behringer X18

I'll admit that needing 16 microphone inputs is probably a bit outside of the normal application as we don't use instrument inputs.

Any knowledge you could point me toward would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Behringer stuff is made in China, and some rag on it, but my old drummer owns one that gets used twice a week at band practice, has had water on it multiple times from his kids overflowing the bath tub (they practice in the basement), and it's still works great.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I've never looked into Ipad related or digital mixers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a Yamaha 01v..  digi board.. They go cheap.  decent pre's , 99 scene(presets) . All of your EQ, fader, FX, aux(monitor sends) settings are saved. instant recall.
The old 01V blows the Behringer away.. I have one, still use it to this day.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
That unit looks pretty sweet.  I am using a Behringer X32 at my church gig, and I control it with an iPad mini.

At my club gig I use the Mackie DL1608, which is more comparable to the X18.  Being able to mix on an iPad is awesome.  The X18 actually has more features than the Mackie for about the same price.

Behringer's Ultranet feature is very cool.  You can send 16 channels of audio via cat5 to one or more personal mixing stations (Behringer P-16).  We have several of these at church for musicians who use in-ears.

I don't know how needing 16 mic inputs is "a bit outside of the normal application."  Maybe you can explain.

What is your budget?  This is a nice piece, but you could do a lot better.  You might need more channels someday.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I also use a Yamaha O1V. Awesome board. Parametric equipment on every channel... good effects... Wow.

Behringer stuff often works great until it doesn't. You may have great luck with it, or it might fail when you need it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#5]
No offense to you 01V96i guys, but y'all need to step into the new millennium.

The Behringer X32 is very popular and highly regarded right now.  There's no reason to believe that the iPad mixer in the OP is anything short of effective.

The OP isn't talking about buying a 15-year-old Eurodesk, so why project old attitudes about old products into this thread?  If anyone has stories about the failure of any recent Behringer digital mixers, please, let's hear them.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I am still stuck in old school analog .. But we old guys still get by.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
When Behringer gear is rider friendly.... I'll consider  buying some.

That being said, if you like it, fits your budget, by all means go for it.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That unit looks pretty sweet.  I am using a Behringer X32 at my church gig, and I control it with an iPad mini.

At my club gig I use the Mackie DL1608, which is more comparable to the X18.  Being able to mix on an iPad is awesome.  The X18 actually has more features than the Mackie for about the same price.

Behringer's Ultranet feature is very cool.  You can send 16 channels of audio via cat5 to one or more personal mixing stations (Behringer P-16).  We have several of these at church for musicians who use in-ears.

I don't know how needing 16 mic inputs is "a bit outside of the normal application."  Maybe you can explain.

What is your budget?  This is a nice piece, but you could do a lot better.  You might need more channels someday.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When Behringer gear is rider friendly.... I'll consider  buying some.

That being said, if you like it, fits your budget, by all means go for it.
View Quote

I know at least one club here in Dallas, Three Links, that uses the X32.  They seems to host some pretty good bands, some you'd probably recognize if you looked at the calendar.

I've migrated to a larger venue where we the Midas PRO2.  Getting up to speed on it has made my brain hurt

I'm just impressed with what you get now in a small package for not much money.  That little X18 has a built in router which, in addition to what I listed earlier, is pretty neat I think.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Behringer 16 channel analog mixing board for my black box studio audio (32 channel Yamaha board for the 650 seat theater).  The Behringer crapped out on me in just over a year.  I have never purchased another Behringer product since.

That being said, if you get it, post up your thoughts on the product.  I'm always interested in new audio technology that is applicable to production work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top