Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 9:48:50 PM EDT
I just bought ten new 50 ft XLR cables for my sound system and the wife said I
have a musical equipment addiction... Should I seek professional help...should I feel

remorse ...I have only bought three guitars this year, two powered speakers a tilt back

guitar amp stand a new bass amp, some cables...and a few packs of strings and things...mostly a typical year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. No guilt at all.

[/me kicks his duffle bag of extra cables under 2 extra powered PA speakers in the garage next to a Tupperware container full of half a dozen extra pickups, tremolos, and parts. They're sitting next to the SKB rack case that contains a Roland JV-1080 I haven't powered up in a decade.]

My wife doesn't trip over my extra amps because I have them artfully stacked in her office, sitting upstairs next to the electronic drum set she claims I "never play," or crammed into our small rental storage unit. I just hope she doesn't open the other closet in our bonus room upstairs and accidentally dump out the wireless rack receiver, handheld mic, body pack transmitter, vocal processor, other duffle bag of cables, stomp boxes, etc.

I had to take apart one closet-stored project guitar and stash the parts.  4 electrics, an acoustic, and a bass are taking up too much closet space, so I moved another guitar by my bedside for practice. If I'd spent as much time & money learning to play as I have on acquiring, stashing, and storing gear, I'd be able to do more than just abuse power chords and 1st position pentatonic scales.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Starting to realize why I like having switched to single.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That's one good way of freeing up closet space.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Are they quality XLR cables or cheapies?  If they're the latter then yeah, you should feel bad

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are they quality XLR cables or cheapies?  If they're the latter then yeah, you should feel bad

View Quote
They were cheapies.. I use the good ones in my studio.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were cheapies.. I use the good ones in my studio.  

Speaking as live sound guy, you are not helping your case
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll bet he coils them up by wrapping them around his hand and elbow, too.

Of course, I also coil my cheap cables up like mountain climbing rope.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah, you shouldn't feel bad. It's not like you blew all that money on hookers and blow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top