Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 12:47:09 PM EDT
Well, thanks to OilRogers telling me about a sweet-ass sale over at Sam Ash - I've added another LP to the stable. I'll need to tune it & lower the bridge pup a bit, but everything checks out on it.  They even threw in a free T-shirt.

My new phone's camera sux - and don't do the guitar justice, but here you go...

What's in the box?

Here's her sultry brunette sister...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the top gold?

Brings back bad memories for me. When I was young I traded a really nice gold top deluxe for a POS fostex cassette 4 track recorder :(

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, satin Goldtop, dark sides & back - 429.00 delivered. I know some people hate the plastic-covered buckers that the 2013 LPJ/SGJ's came with - but under the black plastic they sound just like any other 490/498's in a Gibson (like an LP Studio...) The chubby 50's profile neck in satin maple just feels... right. Which I never thought it would until I tried it - my hands are fairly average sized.

I already had the "Chocolate Satin" LPJ, but after watching Jim Suhler tearing it up on a Goldtop at a George Thorogood show a couple weeks ago - the GAS started acting up pretty fiercely.  The satin doesn't have the incredible depth that a gloss nitro Goldtop does, but it's got a cool vintage vibe to it - without looking like it was attacked by a moron with a belt sander (like most "relic'd" axes, IMHO.) I'm toying with the idea of spraying it with some gloss clear - but I will probably leave the aesthetics alone. (And spend the money on a decent hard case. The Gibson padded gig bag is really nice - but does nothing to protect the angled headstock from impacts. I think I'm gonna start using my gig bags as incognito rifle cases - well padded & juts about the right size.)

On the down side - there's at least one AR build that I won't get done until next year... Damn expensive hobbies.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
As discussed earlier... feel free to blame that one on me.   You can tell the wife that peer pressure played a large role and you just couldn't tell the cool kid no.

That satin gold doesn't look too shabby, saw one in person and was very impressed with the overall effect... probably the nicest of the 'satin' finishes that I've seen from Gibson recently.
If they did the SGJ in that color I'd probably pick one up to match my Goldtop LP Studio.  Love me some Goldtops.
I have a TV Yellow Satin MM that I got a week or two ago... been reading that the finish can be hand polished to a decent shine.  Wonder if the Goldtop satin could be done that way as well.
I'll see if I can find that thread, it was on a forum I don't usually read and found via google.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The high E is on the wrong side of the fretboard ...how do you play that way..
Anyway congrats on the new family member.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice, congrats!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

FYI, your photos seem to be reversed. There's an app to fix that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Smart asses...
True story - I was going to learn to play "right-handed" once upon a time - but cut a tendon in the little finger of my left hand, that never healed right. After that, I just physically couldn't play a lot of chords. I had a Kramer ZX30 strung backwards "back in the day."
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#8]
[cough] Django Reinhardt [cough].

J/k. It makes sense to use the hand that works better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
wow nice deal, i never find anything like that for that type price. also its nice to see somebody that plays it the correct way!

i didn't know they were more left handed players here.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wow nice deal, i never find anything like that for that type price. also its nice to see somebody that plays it the correct way!

i didn't know they were more left handed players here.

View Quote

My son's got much better hands than I do... He's a lefty also, but plays right handed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top