Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 11:23:10 PM EDT
Changed the strings on a guitar I acquired before the weekend.  Felt like it has 9s and for some reason I like big strings.  Put a set of 12s Ernie Ball cobalt not even slinky.  My B string doesn't ring out like it should. Sounds like it's being muted.  Plenty of space between the frets and string.  Even lowed the pickups just to see if it was pulling the string by some chance.  Didn't have this problem with the smaller strings.  Any ideas of what else I need to check?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of guitar? Does it sound muted all the way up & down the fretboard, or just open?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it seated all the way in the nut?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it seated all the way in the nut?
View Quote

That's what I was thinking, too. Slipping off the saddle can also cause problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of sounds muted.  It's in the nut looks like it's in the saddle correctly.  Loosened it and checked how it sat in the saddle.  Going to try playing with the height of the saddle when I get back from getting last minute stuff before going back to work tomorrow.  Just not sure as I've never ran into this before
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Changed the strings on a guitar I acquired before the weekend.  Felt like it has 9s and for some reason I like big strings.  Put a set of 12s Ernie Ball cobalt not even slinky.  My B string doesn't ring out like it should. Sounds like it's being muted.  Plenty of space between the frets and string.  Even lowed the pickups just to see if it was pulling the string by some chance.  Didn't have this problem with the smaller strings.  Any ideas of what else I need to check?
View Quote
This is the problem

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is the problem  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the problem  

Having never tried the Cobalts... can you expand on that?

Regular Slinky 10-46 were my go-to for quite some time... had pondered trying a set of the Cobalts.
Also like the D'Addario "regular light" 10-46 and the Gibson Brite Wire Lights... also 10-46.

Hrmm... i see a trend in my strings.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
There are other strings besides D'Addario EXL120s? Blasphemer.

Joking aside, direct from Ernie Ball tech support, the Cobalt alloy only affects the winding. The plain strings like your B are the same as the plain strings in regular Slinky packs.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-strings/52884-wades-experience-cobalt-strings-2.html

Could it be that your nut is actually cut too deep for the heavier string? I know... a guy... who decided to file his locking nut once upon a time. Finding that he filed it too deep, and desperate in the middle of the night, he turned to the only metal he could find to temporarily refill the slot. Radio Shack brand flux core solder came to the rescue.

The shellacking I get when posting pics of what my misguided self did to that guitar kit 20 years ago will be well-deserved.

If it's a non-locking nut with one slot cut too deep, the ghetto fix is drop-filling with superglue and baking soda.

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Newsletters/Issues/newsletter1.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll check the string height in little bit been feeling dizzy for the last hour for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll check the string height in little bit been feeling dizzy for the last hour for some reason.
View Quote

You ok?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is the problem  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the problem  
I tried out a couple EB Cobalt sets when they first came out. I never had a problem like that, but I did snap a string or two like a twig with my pick. Hadn't done that since I used GHS strings when I first started playing. The Cobalts sound bright and vibrant, but they just didn't hold up for me. But I have never had much luck with Ernie Ball strings in general, they go dead quickly in my experience.
I went back to my Dean Markley Blue Steels.
ETA: It dawned on my that the string slot in the nut may not be wide enough.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You ok?
OP? Still with us, man?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP? Still with us, man?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ok?
OP? Still with us, man?

You live closer than I do. Run on over and blow in his ear to see if he's ok.

He logged in a couple hours after the last post, fwiw.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ok?
OP? Still with us, man?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ok?
OP? Still with us, man?

I'll tell him that you want to love him tenderly.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ok?
OP? Still with us, man?

"I'm just following orders" hasn't been an affirmative defense since halfway through the last century. You can go do it if you want. No judging here.

To avoid complete derailment, I'm curious about the comment about the nut slot being too shallow causing the string muting. Would the string just not be staying stable enough and basically bouncing out of the slot, muting as it contacts the nut?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol.

Anyway, that's kinda what I was getting at when I wondered if the slot was too narrow for the larger string. If it's only part way down in the slot, it could rub on the bottom of the slot enough to mute it a little bit.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm alive guys.  Just been pasted out on the couch and had to get all my stuff ready for another 21 days in west Texas.  It's the nut on the guitar cut to deep for my telephone wire guitar strings.  Going a new bone one for it along with other goodies for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear you're alive OP.  We were getting set to send out a looting rescue party.

This thread reminds me... I have a 1971 Fretless Jazzbass hanging on my wall... needs a new nut and the neck volume pot replaced to get up and running again.  New project.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you're alive OP.  We were getting set to send out a looting rescue party.

This thread reminds me... I have a 1971 Fretless Jazzbass hanging on my wall... needs a new nut and the neck volume pot replaced to get up and running again.  New project.
View Quote
stew Mac had them with the strings already notched.  Just have to order correct string space and file them to your depth.  Reminds me I've been assuming the nut isn't bone.  Guess I need to heat up a needle and see.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a set of D'Addario's the other day where the low E did this to me. Replaced it with a new set and it went away... But 2 days later it came back. Don't see a thing wrong with anything and I highly doubt I have 2 bad strings in a row... in the same spot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a set of D'Addario's the other day where the low E did this to me. Replaced it with a new set and it went away... But 2 days later it came back. Don't see a thing wrong with anything and I highly doubt I have 2 bad strings in a row... in the same spot.
View Quote

Does it do it all the way down the neck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire low E string sounds dead. I thought for sure it was the old strings cause as soon as I replaced them, it was sounding great. When I went to play it a few days latter, it was right back where it was before. This has a locking nut with a locking Floyd for the trem. I haven't had time to look at it since, but I will tear into it tomorrow and report back what I find. (edit: this is an old photo. I have since replaced the bridge pick up and installed an older Floyd to match the "relic" look)

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]
You can pick up some feeler gauges at an automotive parts house labeled under spark plug gauge to check hight .  Whatever it is will be something simple.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's the entire string no matter where you fret it, it's gonna be the saddle, not the nut. Saddles can do weird stuff like that when they get worn or are sitting cock-eyed for whatever reason.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#25]
The saddles are brand new and what came with the guitar. I swapped them over to the "vintage" Floyd to be able to have the double locking. Kinda made a "hybrid" so to speak.

This is how it looked at first with the original setup. With the "relic" version of this that LTD/ESP put out, all the hardware is nice and shiny chrome. Just didn't look right, so I swapped it around to match better the relic. This is a LTD/ESP ST203FR model

Here is how the "vintage" one looked. This came from a 84 Kramer 300ST

A close up of how it is now.

And all strung up. This was an old set of strings from a long time ago.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#26]
It's the .012s.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's the .012s.
View Quote

It was the slot in the nut cut to low.  Another member is having an issue with a string now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]
IT'S FIXED!

It was my tuner of all things. I have been using a BOSS TU-80 electric tuner, but for some reason it wouldn't set the low E correctly. (I tune to E flat) I went out and bought a Snark brand clip-on tuner to try out and it now sounds great! Never seen this one before... I looked over all the saddles, the nut, everything and just couldn't see a thing wrong with it. Decided on taking a gamble with the tuner as it had given me fits in the past and it worked! I was about to yank out the pick up as it's a late 80's/early 90's Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon and I thought it was defective or something.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Good deal told you it would be something simple.  Might need to get a guess what's wrong with my instrument thread going.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm trying to figure out how a bad tuner would make a string sound dead. I can see how it would cause the user to tune sharp or flat, but even after I tune with a tuner, I check the strings against each other.

When a string sounds dead, it usually has a loss of treble and sounds lifeless or has something wonky going on with the overall tone. It may or may not hold tune, but the term "dead" has to do with tone.

Or at least that's the way I've always understood it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out how a bad tuner would make a string sound dead. I can see how it would cause the user to tune sharp or flat, but even after I tune with a tuner, I check the strings against each other.

View Quote

When a string sounds dead, it usually has a loss of treble and sounds lifeless or has something wonky going on with the overall tone. It may or may not hold tune, but the term "dead" has to do with tone.

Maybe I'm describing it wrong. When playing, all the other strings sounded good. But when went to hit the low E, it just all fell apart. I'm thinking I didn't have a bad string to begin with as my other guitars all sounded good and with the Floyds they have, the tuning is always rock stable. So I never had to mess with it. My ESP Kamikaze I never have to adjust the tuning on that beast. Weather, cold... nothing effects that guitar!

With this particular guitar I was changing the tuning from flat to standard recently and this is when it all went to hell. Just never sounded right, so I was trying to get it back to "my" standard tuning of flat and that is when I decided to change the strings. It always takes a bit of stretching of the strings to get it stable again and that is when I found my tuner problem. At first I had it, but as the strings set in, I got it all out of whack again.

Here's the collection minus one Strat.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

PS... that is how I figured out it was the tuner. The tuner would say it was ok, but then the sound was just not right. Stupid me, I believed the tuner...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PS... that is how I figured out it was the tuner. The tuner would say it was ok, but then the sound was just not right. Stupid me, I believed the tuner...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always been lazy... tuned my low E via a pitch pipe and tuned the rest by ear against each other.
Got a Snark last week and found out my ear is pretty solid on it's pitch guessing.

Now, I'll probably tune my low E off the Snark and go by ear from there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've always been lazy... tuned my low E via a pitch pipe and tuned the rest by ear against each other.

Got a Snark last week and found out my ear is pretty solid on it's pitch guessing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the OCD in me that has me wanting it dead nut on that I have always used an electronic tuner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotcha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top