Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 3:05:04 PM EDT
I'm in a band that l used to play guitar in but am now playing bass. I'm naturally good with the instrument and  understand the nuances of playing decently. I'm not amazing but I'm good enough to play what most people consider hard bass songs.

Ok, so. My band moved from a five piece to a four piece. We used to split solo duties. Now, our lead guitarist is over burdened and I'm looking for solutions. Bass solos are a different bag than I'm used to. Licks, fills, , grooves, I have them down no problem. It's the actual writing and constructing them while keeping the low end going that I can't get down. Anyone have any tips, lessons, or songs to take inspiration from?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. He thinks "Wow, this is cool." He goes to the beach, he hears the drums, he eats lunch, he hears drums, he goes to a luau, he hears drums. He tries to go to sleep, yet he hears drums.

This goes on for several nights, and gets to the point where the guy can't sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to the front desk.

When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What's with these drums. Don't they ever stop? I can't get any sleep."

The manager says, "No! Drums must never stop. It's very bad if drums stop."

"Why?"

"When drums stop...bass solo begins."
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is, with notable exceptions, the bass just isnt a lead instrument.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I was a professional bassist for, well, almost 2 decades. Your job is to be a rock-solid part of the backbone, not half-guitar it.
That's why there are so few actual bassists vs. guitarists playing bass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in a band that l used to play guitar in but am now playing bass. I'm naturally good with the instrument and  understand the nuances of playing decently. I'm not amazing but I'm good enough to play what most people consider hard bass songs.

Ok, so. My band moved from a five piece to a four piece. We used to split solo duties. Now, our lead guitarist is over burdened and I'm looking for solutions. Bass solos are a different bag than I'm used to. Licks, fills, , grooves, I have them down no problem. It's the actual writing and constructing them while keeping the low end going that I can't get down. Anyone have any tips, lessons, or songs to take inspiration from?
View Quote

As others have pointed out bass isn't really an instrument to play sustained solos on, and outside of the jazz world the majority of the bass solos I hear tend to be lame and embarrassing...

That said, what helps me with soloing is to keep the melody of whatever song I am playing in my head...

ill just leave this here...one of my favorite bass solos...skip to 5:20

sorry, dont know how to embed..

solo

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Agreed. I was a professional bassist for, well, almost 2 decades. Your job is to be a rock-solid part of the backbone, not half-guitar it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know this. I don't agree with the 'half-guitar it' part of it and I feel the art of playing bass has been lost in the last 30 years. Listen to just about any Cream solo and you'll hear a bass solo going with the guitar solo. Listen to Motown and you hear entire songs that are complicated bass arrangements that, with slight modifications, can be solos in their own right. Modern Allman Brothers/Derek Trucks Band/Tedeschi Trucks Band, any number of jam bands, The Winery Dogs, all of these have bass solos.

People that play root notes, that's fine. My band doesn't play that style of music.

I don't know, maybe I didn't put enough emphasis on it. I'm a good bass player.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As others have pointed out bass isn't really an instrument to play sustained solos on, and outside of the jazz world the majority of the bass solos I hear tend to be lame and embarrassing...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's what I'm talking about. There are tons of examples of amazing bass solos in rock, metal, blues, and country, but bass players aren't really interested in looking in to it more. It's all "But our job is ______". Well, no. Your job is to play music. If your song calls for a bass solo, you should be able to do it without it being lame and embarrassing.

And that's what I'm aiming to do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know this. I don't agree with the 'half-guitar it' part of it and I feel the art of playing bass has been lost in the last 30 years. Listen to just about any Cream solo and you'll hear a bass solo going with the guitar solo. Listen to Motown and you hear entire songs that are complicated bass arrangements that, with slight modifications, can be solos in their own right. Modern Allman Brothers/Derek Trucks Band/Tedeschi Trucks Band, any number of jam bands, The Winery Dogs, all of these have bass solos.

People that play root notes, that's fine. My band doesn't play that style of music.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So am I. No "art of good bass playing" has been lost, but there are a ton pf people who are guitarists who have no idea where the instrument fits in a band.
Jam bands are horrible abominations of sounds and are not music, and almost every band you mentioned with the exception of Cream is a good example of how not to play.

Unless you totally throw everything out & go Les Claypool, you don't play a four string rhythm section instrument like a 6 string lead.

Good bassist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Bad bassist:
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now I am confused...Are you asking us how to actually solo with minimal or no support of the band like a jazz player would do?  Or are you asking us how to accompany a guitar player while he solos??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top