Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys realize these don't actually sell for MSRP right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
the $4200+ V is the buy price.  

List is $5,608

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn that's high.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So does the LP Standard justify the premium over the LP Classic and LP Traditional models?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You guys realize these don't actually sell for MSRP right?
View Quote
I've been posting street price when I find it, as have others. But even without that, you compare the MSRP of similar items from different manufacturers to get an idea of what's coming.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So does the LP Standard justify the premium over the LP Classic and LP Traditional models?
View Quote
IMHO, no.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had this one for 20yrs now, I'm GTG.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

that is one sharp looking Epiphone...

OK...couldn't resist!  One FINE looking Les Paul...one of the best I have seen.  Normally it seems like PRS kicks Gibsons butt on wood....but not yours!

Damn nice!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OK...couldn't resist!  One FINE looking Les Paul...one of the best I have seen.  Normally it seems like PRS kicks Gibsons butt on wood....but not yours!

Damn nice!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn nice!

Thanks. It says Gibson on the truss rod cover!
Is it the cut of the horn that gives it away? I'm more of a Fender guy, though I do own this, a Heritage 535 and a Heritage 137.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what makes a Les Paul worth:

$2,500 more than a Japanese Ibanez?
$3,000 more than an American Strat?
$2,000 more than a Carvin?

Thinking you gotta be nuts to shell out that kind of scratch on one of these things.
View Quote

I wouldn't pay the current prices for a Gibson. For the amount of money one costs its just not that awesome...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IMHO, no.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMHO, no.

I agree, I have yet to be impressed by a Gibson product. That's not to say they aren't good instruments, but I don't pick one up, strum a chord and instantly think to myself "oh, that's why this hunk of shit costs 2.5k"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#12]
That's insane.

My LP Standard Trad Pro was a 10th anniversary present from my wife. It's not a fancy flame or quilt top, but sounds lovely and the cherry finish does look nice. At the price point nearly half a decade ago, I thought it was spendy but nice. Today's Standards are more than the Customs were at that time.

This whole rig, including the new MK5, old Marshall 4x12, and the GT-8 just out of frame, cost me less than the MSRP of a new high-end Standard. For what they want now, I'd get a PRS, a locally made Bolin, or a pristine JEM (as if I need any more 90's Ibanezes), etc. I'd really be better off just spending the $ on more lessons.  

In fact, one of my practice partners is trying to sell me his PRS C22. He isn't ready to get rid of his old RG550.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#13]

I am feeling warm and tingly....

I will be in my rack

has anyone seen the Kleenex?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I will be in my rack

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will be in my rack

It plays every bit as great as it looks. It just sits in the closet, and hadn't been played for 4-5 years before the owner let me borrow it for a few days. There's a little chip on the finish, but otherwise it's one of the nicest Artist Custom 22s I've seen or handled. At my skill level, it's similar to playing Chopsitcks on a Steinway. Incidentally, I have done just that in an empty auditorium, btw.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I will be in my rack

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will be in my rack

Seriously?

What's so great about it? I always thought those PRS guitars looked gay.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously?

View Quote

Do you even play bro?  :)

OK...joking aside

PRS uses amazing wood.  They basically got everyone else back to making guitars that looked great with maple tops that were to die for.  Gibson COULD have been using wood like this but chose not to in the 70's and 80's which resulted in plain - no figure, multi piece tops that in all honesty sucked.  

Another example is rosewood.  Gibson is using baked maple on a number of their guitars, as well as others rather than rosewood.  Sorry but these boards to not sound or feel the same.  

Don't get me wrong..I love Gibson guitars...but they have lost their fucking minds.  Their customer service is NON-EXISTANT.  PRS on the other hand is incredible.  It will take Gibson losing market share as has happened in the past for them to wake up again.  Right now there are too many non-players ...i.,e...collectors ...that are willing to buy a Gibson at any cost...driving up the prices for the true lovers...the musicians.  this has happened in the past....nothing new here

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK...joking aside

PRS uses amazing wood.  They basically got everyone else back to making guitars that looked great with maple tops that were to die for.  Gibson COULD have been using wood like this but chose not to in the 70's and 80's which resulted in plain - no figure, multi piece tops that in all honesty sucked.  

Another example is rosewood.  Gibson is using baked maple on a number of their guitars, as well as others rather than rosewood.  Sorry but these boards to not sound or feel the same.  

Don't get me wrong..I love Gibson guitars...but they have lost their fucking minds.  Their customer service is NON-EXISTANT.  PRS on the other hand is incredible.  It will take Gibson losing market share as has happened in the past for them to wake up again.  Right now there are too many non-players ...i.,e...collectors ...that are willing to buy a Gibson at any cost...driving up the prices for the true lovers...the musicians.  this has happened in the past....nothing new here

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

OK...joking aside

I forgot about this. Reminds me of "Richlite", a synthetic ebony fretboard or some such nonsense that they were/are using on some guitars.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:I played a few and they universally felt as well made as a Gibson Melody Maker.
View Quote

HEY!. I have a Melody Maker that is superb.  Action is great, and tone is amazing for a single, single coil pickup.  
Bought it for my daughter to learn on... Now, she's not allowed to touch that one... Went and grabbed an Epi LP Jr for her. That one sounds sufficiently dead that I am willing to sacrifice it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OK...joking aside

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

OK...joking aside

Nah, Idon't know. They look gay.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

When PRS does the gay rainbow stain on a guitar I will agree with you then.

Somehow I think that is either on the way or has been done already.  

hell..after all...they are in Merryland right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They did. Do a Google Image search for PRS rainbow guitar.

That said, I don't think PRS guitars look gay.....well, maybe that rainbow one......but the rest of them are works of art.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That said, I don't think PRS guitars look gay.....well, maybe that rainbow one......but the rest of them are works of art.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Al Di Meola "Prism" model? I just had to google it. Compared with some of the other rainbow guitars there, it's arguably tasteful. Not my cup of tea, but I've seen worse.

FWIW, I thought the PRS aesthetic was gaudy until spending some time in person with one. It can grow on a guy, even one such as myself who is usually a solid color/black hardware or burst finish/chrome hardware user.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The Al Di Meola "Prism" model? I just had to google it. Compared with some of the other rainbow guitars there, it's arguably tasteful. Not my cup of tea, but I've seen worse.

FWIW, I thought the PRS aesthetic was gaudy until spending some time in person with one. It can grow on a guy, even one such as myself who is usually a solid color/black hardware or burst finish/chrome hardware user.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like guitars that show of the natural beauty of the woods used.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Not to hijack badly, but you guys have given me inspiration. I have a craigslist project, a destroyed old Ibanez. It's mostly glued back together and I was pondering what color to use. I whipped up this black-blue-yellow rainbow test pattern today in the garage and am considering painting something like this to showcase the lack of natural beauty. You like it?

My wife hates the idea, too. I'll probably just do black to pearlized blue, skipping the yellow.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not to hijack badly, but you guys have given me inspiration. I have a craigslist project, a destroyed old Ibanez. It's mostly glued back together and I was pondering what color to use. I whipped up this black-blue-yellow rainbow test pattern today in the garage and am considering painting something like this to showcase the lack of natural beauty. You like it?

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/CF1EC6E1-7D01-417A-BEEC-DDF144EA6419_zpsa791oxry.jpg

My wife hates the idea, too. I'll probably just do black to pearlized blue, skipping the yellow.

View Quote

Work in Finn and Jake from Adventure Time and you have a winner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/sleepdr/CF1EC6E1-7D01-417A-BEEC-DDF144EA6419_zpsa791oxry.jpg

View Quote
I would do a silverburst like the Gibson/Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer.

Fuck, I could've owned a page in my own thread.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That actually could be fairly sexy, since the guitar has black hardware and will probably get the EMG 81/85 I have lying around somewhere. That means buying more paint, but the Wicked Colors pearl yellow and blue together were only about $15 from Hobby Lobby anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:Look at ESP's pricing too.
View Quote

ESP changed how their stuff is, ESP is now just made in the custom shop, and E-II is what used to be ESP. So the reason the Hanneman sigs are $5500 is because it's a custom guitar.

And don't get me wrong, I love Gibsons, but I really quit giving a shit about the new ones after the lawsuit, and the richlite, and the Dark Tiger (or whatever that abomination was) and the putting tuners on everything thing, ect. Honestly I think  Henry Juszkiewicz is trying to run the company into the ground.

But my Les Paul is the only guitar I would never get rid of.

And the '93 Explorer I used to have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ESP changed how their stuff is, ESP is now just made in the custom shop, and E-II is what used to be ESP. So the reason the Hanneman sigs are $5500 is because it's a custom guitar.

And don't get me wrong, I love Gibsons, but I really quit giving a shit about the new ones after the lawsuit, and the richlite, and the Dark Tiger (or whatever that abomination was) and the putting tuners on everything thing, ect. Honestly I think  Henry Juszkiewicz is trying to run the company into the ground.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/DSCN2058.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/DSCN2057.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/10348545_1436107833305850_5749771150298295981_n_zpsb0b84211.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Look at ESP's pricing too.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/DSCN2058.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/DSCN2057.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz125/Shot_To_Hell/10348545_1436107833305850_5749771150298295981_n_zpsb0b84211.jpg

Does top wrapping the strings on your LP make a big difference in feel?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#30]
And now we have this version of Hitler flipping out.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/cB0wi5-5wNU

I've seen better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/cB0wi5-5wNU

I've seen better.

It had potential, but THERE WAS TOO MUCH OF THIS!!!, griping about the tuner, and adding expletives instead of satire. Many missed opportunities for clever jokes riffing on things like VOS, Ed Roman, the glut of "signature" models, lawsuits against Ibanez/ESP/Heritage/PRS, the hardwood fiasco, the fact that Slash's iconic "'59 Les Paul" Appetite guitar is a replica, etc.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:Does top wrapping the strings on your LP make a big difference in feel?

View Quote

Not really, I just think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:08:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Does top wrapping the strings on your LP make a big difference in feel?

Fair enough.

ETA: broke my high E string last night, so I took advantage of the opportunity to lower the bridge and tailpiece a bit, then top wrap.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
The local Guitar Center just got in a new Explorer in Black/white pick guard and it's priced at $1999.

That's more than double for what they were just 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The local Guitar Center just got in a new Explorer in Black/white pick guard and it's priced at $1999.

View Quote
Hell, they were only $1300 last year.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Flying V's and Explorers should be cheap....a bandsawed mahogany body.....

I will be content with my 5 Flying V's....

I still recall buying Flying V's ALL Day long in the 70's and 80's at $300 a pop
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
And I had to replace all of the wiring in mine as it was absolute crap.

Even my Les Paul needed some work.;
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

And I had to replace all of the wiring in mine as it was absolute crap.

Even my Les Paul needed some work.;
View Quote
Yeah, I rewired my Explorer too, but that's because I couldn't stand the stock 500T/496R set it came with, and I'm not a fan of 300K pots either. Right now it has a Burstbucker 1 & 2 set in it with 500K pots and a .047uf Orange Drop cap.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Is it the 120 year anniversary model?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's nice.

I play lefty (The left handed players got hosed bigtime by Gibson this year) and it looks like my only choice.......is a $3500 Les Paul.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would pretty much have to be... no Explorers in the 2015 lineup from what I can see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I still recall buying Flying V's ALL Day long in the 70's and 80's at $300 a pop
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$300 bucks was a lot of money in the 70's.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not so much in the 80's
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's nice.

I play lefty (The left handed players got hosed bigtime by Gibson this year) and it looks like my only choice.......is a $3500 Les Paul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice.

Yup...
I should've gotten a lefty SGJ when they were sub-500 bucks a while back.  I could've sprayed some gloss Nitro on it myself & called it done. Gibson really pulled the rug out from under people recently.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not so much in the 80's
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not so much in the 80's
I gave $680 for my LP in 1988 and that was a lot of $$ at that time. We had one Gibson dealer in the whole state and I drove 2 and a half hours to get there.

I played that ax for 10 years and sold it for more than I paid for it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yup...
I should've gotten a lefty SGJ when they were sub-500 bucks a while back.  I could've sprayed some gloss Nitro on it myself & called it done. Gibson really pulled the rug out from under people recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice.

Yup...

The Sam Ash store in Cincinnati had a lefty LPJ for under 500$ when I was in there Tuesday.  I am not a lefty, but was shopping lefties for my daughter... Neck and action felt good and it sounded pretty nice plugged through an AC15C1.
I bet they still have it.  Could swing by on Friday and get photos and such for you if you like.

Edit to add:  Samash.com has the LPJ listed in "satin red' or their 'satin goldtop' for 429$ as a lefty.  I know it isn't an SG... but tempting price for a lefty.  If I knew for a fact my lefty kid were going to stick with playing guitar long term, I'd probably grab her one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, Musician's Friend now has the 2015 Les Paul Standard posted.MSRP: $6265, MF Price: $3759.00!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2015-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar
View Quote

Jesus, I priced out a loaded custom ESP and it came out less than that MSRP.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
From cruising a bit today it appears the Studio's haven't gone quite full retard... about 1300$.... But, no hardshell case and the finish colors are lacking.
Best buy of the 2015's looks to be the SG standard.... 1900$ from what I can see.
LesPaul standards nearing 4k?... yeah... nice guitar.... very nice guitar... but triple a Studio for bindings and paint?... No thanks.

Hate to say it Gibson... I think I'll take a pass on even considering new Gibsons if this is the future.  My current 3 will hold me for the foreseeable future.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Jesus I had no Idea the went for that kind of coin.
I remember working all summer long at my first job when i was in high school. I bought my very own Les Paul by myself for I think it was 1699$ or something around there, that was back in 1998/99. I remember how much i thought it was back then but Jesus thats nothin when we talk these numbers. Mine in a 1960 Reissue Classic witht he Slim taper neck. It plays/feels better today than it did brand new. I just wish i could play better.
Drunk Bachelor Party Picture
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top