Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 1:34:21 PM EDT
So I pulled my JCM800 out of the attic, and cranked it for the first time in about 2 decades.

The pots are scratchy, but other than that, it works fine.

Other than working the pots, is there anything I should do to make them work correctly, or should I replace them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a can of tuner spray first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try a can of tuner spray first.
View Quote

This. They probably just need cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this tuner spray any different than the can of electronics cleaner that I have from the Shack? I may need some soon.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this tuner spray any different than the can of electronics cleaner that I have from the Shack? I may need some soon.
View Quote

Probably no difference. This is the first time I've heard of tuner cleaner, so I assumed it was the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Some tuner cleaners have some sort of residual chemical that helps prevent future oxidation.  Gotta read the label.  

/actually has cleaned lots of tuners and used tuner grease too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I still haven't sprayed them, but I worked them pretty hard, and they are much better.

I went out and bought some pedals yesterday, as I'd given most of my old stuff away, because I thought I'd never use them again :)

Grabbed as Boss cs-3 dd-3, and a phase 90 so far.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a can of DeoxIT D5 in the mail today to clean a 5 way switch that was crapping out on me. Neck position worked fine, the 3 middle positions not at all, and the bridge position would cut in and out requiring a little jiggle persuasion to get it to work. Sprayed a little in the switch and worked it a few times and let it dry. Worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I had this issue with my Taylor T5 recently, and it turned out to be dirty pots like the others have said. Clean 'em out real good and you should be alright.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Beware of 'contact-cleaner.'
Most brands say it is safe for use on plastics, 30+ years in the electronics industry have proven otherwise.
(New ''techs' spray and pray when they can't trouble shoot and repair, caused me much grief)
De-Oxit is gtg.
Apply sparingly, can always apply another shot.
P.S. Glad your are playing again, Have Fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top