Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 5:46:37 PM EDT

I am passing back through all the songs I know how to play and watching live performances of them.

Barracuda rocks. And at their peak, the sisters were, lets say, nommable.

Anybody here play heart songs? Did ann ever play anything other than a pretty ovation acoustic?

is there anybody out there.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I heard her say once in an interview that she prefers not to play lead parts because it lets her move around more.  I think she was saying it let her jump around and interact with the crowd more.  In other words... Make a better show.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that I can think of.

Their later stuff influenced me somewhat in the 80s/90s. Awesome production, and backup vocals/arrangement that are amazing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry...  When you asked about lead playing I thought you were talking about Nancy and how she doesn't like lead playing.  

I have never been to a concert, but I have seen them do performances on TV numerous times.   I don't think I have ever seen Ann pick up a guitar.  It was just Nancy playing rhythm and that tall blond haired guy playing lead.   I can't remember his name.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am passing back through all the songs I know how to play and watching live performances of them.

Barracuda rocks. And at their peak, the sisters were, lets say, nommable.

Anybody here play heart songs? Did ann ever play anything other than a pretty ovation acoustic?

is there anybody out there.....
View Quote
In most cases, Nancy is the rhythm guitarist, and Ann is lead vocalist.

On occasion, Ann plays acoustic guitar and accompanies Nancy on acoustic or electric guitar and even mandolin.

When they did their side project "The Lovemongers", Ann often played bass and Nancy guitar.

While Nancy doesn't play a ton of lead, she does do some harmony leads of a few Heart tunes.  Roger Fisher, Howard Leese, and Craig Bartock have handled the leads for Heart, while Ann sings, and Nancy moves around, plays acoustic, and electric rhythms.

From an interview with Nancy-

Howard Leese took over lead duties when Roger left in 1980, and
you’ve said in the past that you never considered taking over the lead
role because of your love of rhythm guitar. What is it about rhythm that
is so appealing to you?

I did actually step into a couple of solos on the albums around that
time, just because I wanted to do a little more of that. When you’re
talking about Howard Leese, however, his accomplishments on lead guitar
are formidable and he has a sound that is identifiable all on its own. I
think I was just plain intimidated to step into the lead-guitar
position while also being the creator and the songwriter. We do words
and music—we’re not just riffers. We were kind of hogging up a lot of
that territory onstage, and the guys want to have the chance to take
their steps forward and have their moment to shine. If we’re hogging all
that space as well as all the creative space, there’s a dynamic that
you have to be … let’s say "diplomatic” about [laughs].

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]

There was a stretch of years when she played a "real" Adamas 1 - textured top, suspension ring binding, and carved scroll headstock.  She has exquisite taste.  

I would wager she has a more than a few original first run Adamas examples that she is holding on to, as they should eventually become about as rare and coveted as a '58 LP.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]
And I believe Howard Leese had the first "extremely figured top" PRS, that Paul R Smith made with the fronts of a figured chest of drawers. Trust me, you can't make this stuff up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top