Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2014 8:26:53 PM EDT
Of all the guitarists I like, I think I'd  love to have a few hours with Steve Howe from Yes
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Slash and AFD are the reasons I wanted to pick up the guitar in the first place.    However, if I had to chose just one I think it would be SRV.   The way he played is a lot different than how I try to play.  It would be really cool to sit and get a closer look at how he did it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
SRV, BB King and Robert Johnson for a few hours....then I'd like to just goof around and jam for an hour or two with Adam D from Killswitch Engage.  That dude is hilarious but also a genius, and my style in most like his.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
SRV, Jerry Reed, James Taylor and Mark Knopfler.

My playing style is most like James Taylor and Mark Knopler

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Adam D would be funny, but I'd probably pick Paul Gilbert.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Chuck Schuldiner.  RIP
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark Knopfler

Chet Atkins

Roy Clark

EVH

Dominic Miller

Etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a guitarist, but I'd love to play with Chicago, Tower of Power or the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Rufus Reid
Jaco Pastorius
Geezer Butler
Steve Harris

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could have made the trip to NYC and played with Les Paul before he died.

Would have been weird getting on stage with him though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who sucks really bad and makes me feel superior
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Gone now, but Chet Atkins.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Piggy R.I.P.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#13]
ZZ Top or the Allman Brothers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone who sucks really bad and makes me feel superior
View Quote

Next time your in town swing by, I got you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Hetfield. I have several interests in common beyond just guitars with him. Plus his rhythm playing has had a big influence on my playing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Gilmour for those who are unfamiliar with "The Black Strat".
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/Axes/DSCN2020_zpsd9cdf9a9.jpg

View Quote

That long trem arm threw me off for a second... doesn't (or didn't) he use one cut down pretty substantially shorter?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That long trem arm threw me off for a second... doesn't (or didn't) he use one cut down pretty substantially shorter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I have yet to sick the Dremel on it. It also has the wrong color trem arm tip. GC gave me the arctic white one and it's was supposed to be the aged white like the knobs and pup covers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes. I have yet to sick the Dremel on it. It also has the wrong color trem arm tip. GC gave me the arctic white one and it's was supposed to be the aged white like the knobs and pup covers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was re-bent as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Jimmy Page is who I would love to meet and just hang out with..talk,about Marshalls, etc

I have been fortunate to spend time with a number of guitarists

Schenker, Blues Saraceno, Jimi Bell, Macalpine, Amir Derakh
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hetfield. I have several interests in common beyond just guitars with him. Plus his rhythm playing has had a big influence on my playing.
View Quote

Definitely gotta agree with you. And you want to talk about common interests, before he came out with the white Iron Cross, I had been thinking of doing a replica of the Iron Cross, but I figured I'd do one that was white so it'd be a little different. Like 3 days later he started playing his white one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jimmy Page is who I would love to meet and just hang out with..talk,about Marshalls, etc

I have been fortunate to spend time with a number of guitarists

Schenker, Blues Saraceno, Jimi Bell, Macalpine, Amir Derakh
View Quote

Jimmy Page would be cool...The latest issue of Guitar World has an interview with him.   He makes it seem like he doesn't like to talk much about how he got his sounds.  He would rather not get specific about guitars. effects, and such.  That would suck to actually be able to hang out with him but not ask the questions that most fans want to know.  

I would add Scotty Moore to my list.   Running over those early Elvis lines would be fun.  

My wife used to work with a lady that had a friend who was close friends with Ronnie Milsap.  They would jam together all the time.  I asked if he could show me some things (I offered to pay), but he said he played by ear.   He could listen to a track and play just about anything, but he didn't know much about chords or scales.

I really wish I had that same talent...  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you hear the Jimmy Page interview on Sirius?  It was awesome...him taking questions from the audience....

I have HUGE respect for Page for crafting the concept of Zeppelin...he isn't the best player...I actually think he is a much better composer / visionary.  

I still recall reading an interview with him years ago where he said the concept behind Zeppelin was "soothe then pulverize"

I think that comment sums up Zep very well

when you talk about Ronnie Milsap playing by ear...I can tell you Schenker is the same way.  Schenker knows VERY LITTLE about theory....but he knows what he wants to play BEFORE he plays it.  He knows the neck so well that he knows exactly where to go for what tone of the note...not just the note...but which position sounds the best for what he is doing.  

Most of the truly talented players play from the heart rather than a sheet of music or theory of what sounds best.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you hear the Jimmy Page interview on Sirius?  It was awesome...him taking questions from the audience....

I have HUGE respect for Page for crafting the concept of Zeppelin...he isn't the best player...I actually think he is a much better composer / visionary.  

I still recall reading an interview with him years ago where he said the concept behind Zeppelin was "soothe then pulverize"

I think that comment sums up Zep very well

when you talk about Ronnie Milsap playing by ear...I can tell you Schenker is the same way.  Schenker knows VERY LITTLE about theory....but he knows what he wants to play BEFORE he plays it.  He knows the neck so well that he knows exactly where to go for what tone of the note...not just the note...but which position sounds the best for what he is doing.  

Most of the truly talented players play from the heart rather than a sheet of music or theory of what sounds best.
View Quote

No, I didn't catch that interview.  I will have to try and dig it up... Sounds interesting.  

I never actually spoke with Ronnie Milsap.  I was only an acquaintance of his buddy that played bass and guitar.  He wasn't in Ronnie's band because he was loyal to a guy that had played with him for awhile.   The guy I knew would just get together with Ronnie and play whenever they could because they were close friends.  

I'm sure Ronnie played by ear a lot as well considering he is blind.   He probably hears notes a lot better than most good musicians do.  If I remember correctly, I think he said that's why they liked playing together so much. They could just jam out for a couple of hours without thinking about it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rufus Reid
Jaco Pastorius
Geezer Butler
Steve Harris

View Quote

I spent time with Rufus Reid around 1980 or so as part of being a work study student in college organizing and running jazz education workshops. Rufus Reid was a reserved, yet well-spoken man who was very correct, polite and willing to help anybody. He was a breeze to work with. Rufus and Ric Petrone used to run workshops for HS kids. These two had the patience of Job when dealing with those kids. They were amazing and inspiring to watch.

Never met Jaco, but a musician I knew actually bumped into a weird, mumbling homeless guy who literally smelled like shit in NYC in the 1980s. Halfway down the next block he said to himself, "Fuck, that was Jaco Pastorius!"
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gonna second that. One of my guitars is a Kirk signature model because I liked the looks better, but I honestly think Hetfield is a better guitarist. You can feel what he was feeling in his playing, especially his solos. Kirk? Not so much.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd have to say good ole Dime Bag Darrel.  along with Buddy Guy, Albert King, hound dog Taylor, and I can't forget B.B.King.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'd have to say good ole Dime Bag Darrel.  along with Buddy Guy, Albert King, hound dog Taylor, and I can't forget B.B.King.
View Quote
Holy shit, Dime would've been a blast to jam with, and drink with, ect.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Keith Richards
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Mark Knopfler
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Dimebag
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#32]
How about Brian May? Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing would be cool to hang out with just to hear stories. I'm thinking of Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton, Toni Iommi also. The rest have already been mentioned or are unfortunately dead.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Keith Richards
View Quote

I don't think my liver could handle being that close to him...

Seriously though - I bet hanging out with Keith & Ron Wood would be a helluva good time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#34]
J Mascis
No talking just playing

Most of the guitarist I'm influenced by seem like attention whores or assholes, and I think I'm good with watching them on video or from a crowd. If I wanted to play with an asshole I would just quit buying toilet paper.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I got to open for Fallujah, which was cool. But I wish I could have played on the In Flames / Lamb of God tour in 2012.

That show was fucking killer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

J Mascis

No talking just playing

Most of the guitarist I'm influenced by seem like attention whores or assholes, and I think I'm good with watching them on video or from a crowd. If I wanted to play with an asshole I would just quit buying toilet paper.
View Quote
We're all attention whores.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Jerry Garcia - RIP
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
J Mascis
No talking just playing

yes... yes you are.

Meanwhile bassists just hang out in the back and wish people paid them any mind

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

yes... yes you are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J Mascis

No talking just playing

yes... yes you are.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Piggy R.I.P.
View Quote

This is my answer, as well, after thinking about it.  Though, I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to learn anytihng!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top