Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2014 4:26:57 PM EDT
Ive played a few over the past 20 years, but my favorite thus far is the Zakk Wylde signature pedal, iMO it has the best sweep and best range of any wah and sounds damn good, the worst I've played is the Dimebag sinature Wah. I also had a badass Roger Mayer Wah way back in the day when i was in High school that sounded pretty damn good. It's taken me a few years to know how to play a wah the right way instead of just sounding like a tool wanking on it like a 13 year old.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Morley Tremonti wah.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Hendrix and the Slash, but I have never bought either of them.   I have always just used an old Cry Baby.   If I ever want to change the sound I take the bottom off and tinker with it.   I actually sold that one not too long ago.  I hope I can do the same with the newer ones whenever I decide to replace it.  

I am no expert on pedals though.  I only really use a scripted phase 90 and the wah.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Dunlop DCR 1SR rack wah
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my BBE wah. It's awesome. I even had a sweet (and beautiful) Mission Engineering wah on my board recently, but preferred the BBE because of its deeper lows. The Mission sure had a musical, beautiful sweet spot though. It's the candy-purple one in the pic below, next to my BBE.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Those M.E. pedals look really nice.  I have heard of a few people taking the guts out of different wahs and putting them inside ME pedals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those M.E. pedals look really nice.  I have heard of a few people taking the guts out of different wahs and putting them inside ME pedals.
View Quote

They are built very well. And this one sounded oh so musical. But I get used to those deep Robin Trower/Jerry Cantrell lows and everything else sounds thin. Actually, the ME wasn't thin at all. But it was definitely a mid-range beast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree 100% on the Dimebag wah, I've had one since they first hit. There is just not enough sweep, and the boost just dirties everything up (in a bad way)! I like to look at its purchase as donating to the memorial fund.

I have also heard great feedback on the ZW Wah!

How the hell do I always end up with over hyped crap!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah man, I was real excited about the dime bag 535Q, when I plugged it and cranked it was very disappointing, and it had a hard time thinking Dimebag had any input on the pedal, I suspect he probably didn't or the actual one he uses isn't like the commercial version. Poor sweep no balls.

Again the ZW has all the muscle and sweep I was looking for, and Zakk uses what he endorses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a long time Morley user. Currently switching between the Tremonti signature and the George Lynch Dragon 2. I mostly use the Tremonti but the Dragon 2 has a static "cocked wah" button I like to use from time to time.
So I guess for now, I would say the Tremonti is the best, for me anyway. Its Q is in the sweet spot I like and the boost is cutting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My son uses a Crybaby he modded.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
A  Thomas Organ Co wah... circa '67 ish.. Kinda the real deal..

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I dropped a fulltone clyde circuit board into my old crybaby about 15 years ago, and it's been perfect ever since.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A  Thomas Organ Co wah... circa '67 ish.. Kinda the real deal..

View Quote

I found one in a Pawn shop. I paid 25 for it and sold it for 125. It was nice but I didn't need it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
RMC Wah hands down.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My son uses a Crybaby he modded.
View Quote

I modded my Crybaby (vocal mod, ect) and have really liked the tone I get from it but use a Morley Tremonti wah anymore bucause it has the automatic off when I let off on the pedal. I would often not push forward enough on the Crybaby to shut it off and go into a rhythem part with it still on - sounded goofy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Vox Clyde McCoy, don't really care for it. It has a really trebly sound and the pedal just seems hyper-sensitive, I have a hard time making subtle sweeps.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was a little kid, a strategically placed rubber band around the volume pot and my fingers.
So, when I strummed up and down the volume would cycle accordingly.
The Good Old Days.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah man, I was real excited about the dime bag 535Q, when I plugged it and cranked it was very disappointing, and it had a hard time thinking Dimebag had any input on the pedal, I suspect he probably didn't or the actual one he uses isn't like the commercial version. Poor sweep no balls.

Again the ZW has all the muscle and sweep I was looking for, and Zakk uses what he endorses.
View Quote

Not exactly 100% but pretty much does.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the Hendrix and the Slash, but I have never bought either of them.   I have always just used an old Cry Baby.   If I ever want to change the sound I take the bottom off and tinker with it.   I actually sold that one not too long ago.  I hope I can do the same with the newer ones whenever I decide to replace it.  

I am no expert on pedals though.  I only really use a scripted phase 90 and the wah.  

View Quote

What did you do to it, and what did it change? Modifying wah pedals is a new concept to me. I don't know if I'd ever do it. I can. I have plenty of experience with soldering and electronic components, but this is mostly curiosity.

I also don't know the circuitry of a wah pedal, so if you tell me that you changed cap. x, I have no idea what that would accomplish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What did you do to it, and what did it change? Modifying wah pedals is a new concept to me. I don't know if I'd ever do it. I can. I have plenty of experience with soldering and electronic components, but this is mostly curiosity.

I also don't know the circuitry of a wah pedal, so if you tell me that you changed cap. x, I have no idea what that would accomplish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A wah pedal is basically a "sweepable" bandpass filter.
Start at 6:50 for explanation.

Great vid and some interesting music history.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about best, but certainly most expensive. A local shop started carrying Dr No effects: http://drno-effects-usa.com/effects/holy-wahcamoly/.
The packaging, custom extras, build quality, paint/molding,  impeccable.

Sounded neat, but not sure how I liked it, since I wasn't playing thru my guitar and amp.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Weeping Demon

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#24]

I've used Dunlop, Morley and Vox. Right now I'm using the old Dunlop GCB-95 because I"ve had it for years and it's basically the old standard, for me anyhow.

I have been looking at the ZW wah, but haven't heard too much from people that actually have one. That and most of the time I see a used one for sale, you may as well buy a new one.

I know you can adjust the pot to get different sweep angles and what not, and have experimented in the past with the Dunlop.

As far as the best, it was probably an old Morley Power Wah I used to have, that thing was a beast.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Build your own...or at least extensively modify it

here's how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsPh2W4a780&feature=player_detailpage

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top