Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 12:06:56 PM EDT
Sorry for the potato pics.

86 or 87 Fender MIJ 62 Jazz Reissue.  I already took the strings off, and the picture isn't good representation of the color, it is really surf green.  I paid $200, a couple local shops say it should sell on the used market for around $600 or $700.  Figure $80 for a setup and new strings, I'll throw it on CL and see what happens.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, awesome deal.

I would love to have it for that price. I love my Ibanez SR500, but the Jazz bass is on my list. If i have to pay full price there are a couple of other basses I want first, primarily a 1980s Jap Aria Pro II SB 1000, a Philip Kubicki Factor with the drop D lever ( if I win the lottery ), a 5 string Peavey Cirrus, and I have been Jonesin for a really nice Musicman.

My dream unobtanium is the JT84 John Taylor signature bass, with the Juicy Couture case and accessories.

More realistically, the Aria and the Jazz bass, or a P Bass,  will be first. I only played a good jazz bass once, but the tonal quality was really good, and it cut through the noise of the other instruments very well. Part of that was the head unit, but the bass had great punch on the first five frets from E to A, good mids, and was strong when popping the highs. Really smooth neck as well, though bigger than I'm used to.

Wish I could find a deal like that on one in that condition. You better be looking for the blue lights, you stole that.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
My other bass is a Peavey Millienium BXP AC 5.  I told the wife I would turn around and sell the Jazz for double what I paid for it, but it might be sticking around for a while :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My other bass is a Peavey Millienium BXP AC 5.  I told the wife I would turn around and sell the Jazz for double what I paid for it, but it might be sticking around for a while :)
View Quote

I'd get it completely looked over, electronics checked , new strings, fret job, action job, everything, probably $120 worth around here, and play it for a month or two and see what you think before you sell it. You might fall in love with it. If not, you still have very little in it and can turn a pretty good profit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine bought a "Fender in a box" for $100 at pawn shop. Some one had disasembled it to repaint it or some nonsense.
Re-assembled it, new strings, tuned it. Sold it for $400.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
American or Mexican made?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Said Made in Japan.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Said Made in Japan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said Made in Japan.

Must have missed that...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Must have missed that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said Made in Japan.

Must have missed that...

Fender has Mexican, Korean, and Japanese made stuff,  so it does just look like model number gibberish when abbreviated MIM, MIK, MIJ.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fender has Mexican, Korean, and Japanese made stuff,  so it does just look like model number gibberish when abbreviated MIM, MIK, MIJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Said Made in Japan.

Must have missed that...

I'm impressed that you could make out the lettering
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Great score..that would never slip through the cracks here. Local Pawn
would list it on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#11]
And I thought I got a steal the other day when I got a Mexican made strat for $130.  Just needed new strings and a good cleaning. After a coat of wax she looked brand new.  Hopping that the neck agrees with my hand since I want to keep it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And I thought I got a steal the other day when I got a Mexican made strat for $130.  Just needed new strings and a good cleaning. After a coat of wax she looked brand new.  Hopping that the neck agrees with my hand since I want to keep it.
View Quote

That is a steal!  I swear, if you bought a Mexi Fender in the mid/late 90's, it has held its value better than gold it seems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is a steal!  I swear, if you bought a Mexi Fender in the mid/late 90's, it has held its value better than gold it seems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good chance it is made in the 90's due to the sticker that was on the neck plate.  Guess I'll have to check the S/N when I get home from my 21 day rotation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top