Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 4:32:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I suspect this probably would've been a topic for before cmjohnson got the hammer, but that's the way it goes.

Anyone built a guitar from one of the companies that offer kits?  Seems like something that would be kind of a cool project, assuming the components are decent.
View Quote

My brother has. Electric kits.
Many of my friends have too, actually.
And i've assembled kit tube amps.
Some of which.. with a little bit of component changes,
I can't tell the difference between them and the original.

for 8-10x less money.

Not bad, if you're decent with a soldering iron, paint, drill, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
What happened to cmjohnson?

Damn,,,,.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I've thought about buying a Martin kit, but I know I could never make it sound like the real thing. But for the money if your very good with wood working I think it would be a real blast.

Martin Guitar kits

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a Carvin fanboy, so I want to build one of their kits soon.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've thought about buying a Martin kit, but I know I could never make it sound like the real thing. But for the money if your very good with wood working I think it would be a real blast.

Martin Guitar kits

View Quote

Wow. I had no idea you could buy them this way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am a Carvin fanboy, so I want to build one of their kits soon.
View Quote

I have always thought Carvin's kits were nice as well.  I have never done one, but I had a friend that put one together.   The guitar sounds great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just checked with my brother for you puck, and he didn't do "kits" per say, but would order a body and neck from warmoth (warmoth.com)
That way he could choose the hardware finish he wanted, tuners he wanted, bridge he wanted, pickups, tone and volume knobs as well
as wiring setup, (Do I want a coil tap?) (Do i want a mute switch, or a volume knob with built in pull-mute?) Pickup arrangements, etc..

Apparently it all started when he broke a strat neck while drunk. Ordered a replacement neck from warmoth, and he said it was nicer than
the fender neck it replaced. Then he went from there. I don't know how many he has put together, but more than 3 for sure.

Will check with ryan later and see where his kits came from.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Will it feature a hand rubbed cosmoline finish?

ETA: maybe some wire wrap too?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I built my last bass guitar from components.  Finished the neck, drilled it, wired up the pups I wanted, etc.  I had no experience with any of it, and decided for some reason just to dive into it.  

Learned a lot, junked some parts, used some new swear words, and built something I'm proud of.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I built my last bass guitar from components.  Finished the neck, drilled it, wired up the pups I wanted, etc.  I had no experience with any of it, and decided for some reason just to dive into it.  

Learned a lot, junked some parts, used some new swear words, and built something I'm proud of.
View Quote

Well... Where are the pics?

I'll be waiting
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bayonet lug on the neck?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lug on the neck?

That would be sweet!  Spike or blade though?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bayonet lug on the neck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bayonet lug on the neck?

Don't forget the Paki tape, and the stickers.

And as to your question. I've never built one, but Warmoth and PrecisionGuitarKits.com are both at the top of my list.

And when did CMJ get the ban hammer? This is the first I've heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Couple weeks ago, I believe.  If I dig up the thread, I'll add a link in this post.

ETA:  End of May.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And when did CMJ get the ban hammer? This is the first I've heard of it.

Couple weeks ago, I believe.  If I dig up the thread, I'll add a link in this post.

ETA:  End of May.

Let me guess, he pulled a Hemi Cuda and said something along the lines of "Kill 'em all"?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#19]
That blows. 13 years and zap over one post?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#20]
He's tested the limits several times over the years, and has been locked before.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh God, that site has single cutaway bodies like the Les Paul and ESP Eclipse.

I can hear my wallet screaming for mercy already
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyway, teeli, that damn website is going to cost me obscene amounts of money.  I hate you a little now.

Thankfully, I was able infect one of my coworkers with it tonight as well, so I feel a little better
View Quote

You'll be happy with everything you order from them. They have top notch product and customer service.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Let me know if you need any carbon comp. resistors, and when you're ready to start a project of a DIY tube amp clone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let me know if you need any carbon comp. resistors, and when you're ready to start a project of a DIY tube amp clone.
View Quote

Unless you like noisy amps there are only a few places, such as plate resistors late in the siganl path, where carbon comps should be used in a modern amp build where they add their mojo w/o adding noise.  I'm not a big believer in the slight mojo they add, so I stick with more modern resistors such as metal film and metal oxide.

Here's an article explaining why.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
R.G.Keen

I knew it without looking... Then I looked.

That guy was an absolute Guru about tube amps, as far as what he put online back in the day.

Along with Randall Aiken, Fat Willy and Rich K. Far less cork sniffing BS from those guys, altho the Willie and Rich

duke outs on AGA were memorable. Willies chats @ conelrad, Ampage chat room, and just pick up the phone and call Rich K.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got done building an all USA start about a month ago. It has quickly become my favorite electric. I soldered every wire and assembled every piece. I ordered a body and neck off of ebay. I built it like a deluxe with an S1 switch. I love the way it feels and plays.

I don't know if you are talking acoustics or electric but go for it. It is a lot of fun. Obviously building an electric is much easier to the point of you are.really just assembling it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that in the OP, but I'd be doing an electric.  I don't have the woodworking skill for an acoustic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got done building an all USA start about a month ago. It has quickly become my favorite electric. I soldered every wire and assembled every piece. I ordered a body and neck off of ebay. I built it like a deluxe with an S1 switch. I love the way it feels and plays.

I don't know if you are talking acoustics or electric but go for it. It is a lot of fun. Obviously building an electric is much easier to the point of you are.really just assembling it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that in the OP, but I'd be doing an electric.  I don't have the woodworking skill for an acoustic.

DEF go with warmoth parts then.
don't go cheap on the pickups either. get something nice
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive done a couple of total scratch builds, no kits. If I did it would be a Precision Kit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a somewhat botched convolution of a Carvin kit with an Ibanez Edge bridge and Top Lok. I'm thinking of doing what I can to salvage it, because it's all but unplayable after my uneducated gorilla hands 20 years ago. There's a fair bit of glue hidden behind that bridge, after I underestimated how much extra drilling was needed to install the trem studs and split the wood badly.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I like building my own stuff too, and I've toyed with the idea of 3 different Strat builds from a Warmoth body and neck, but I've never pulled the trigger on it because it's going to be around $405 for the body and $451 for the neck.  I want to make a P Bass too.

I'm doing the research right now to make my own TS-808, I'm just not sure if I want to buy a kit that includes the circuit board, or if I want to try to etch my own.  If that goes well I'm probably going to make a few more pedals.  After that I'm thinking about doing some research on making a tube amp since all I have right now is a Roland Cube.  I haven't done enough amp research yet to figure out what I want to try to make though.  I love making things though, in part because it forces me to learn more about stuff that I don't know much about like amps.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like building my own stuff too, and I've toyed with the idea of 3 different Strat builds from a Warmoth body and neck, but I've never pulled the trigger on it because it's going to be around $405 for the body and $451 for the neck.  I want to make a P Bass too.

I'm doing the research right now to make my own TS-808, I'm just not sure if I want to buy a kit that includes the circuit board, or if I want to try to etch my own.  If that goes well I'm probably going to make a few more pedals.  After that I'm thinking about doing some research on making a tube amp since all I have right now is a Roland Cube.  I haven't done enough amp research yet to figure out what I want to try to make though.  I love making things though, in part because it forces me to learn more about stuff that I don't know much about like amps.
View Quote

I recommend starting with this book: http://www.amazon.com/Design-Construction-Tube-Guitar-Amplifiers/dp/0615291805

I wish I had it when I started to research how to build an amp. I also recommend buying a simple single channel tube amp an doing some mods to it. Your stompbox building will give you some experience, but opening up an existing amp and performing mods will give you some hands on experience working on an amp, and it will also show you how making changes to various components changes an amp. This is how I started, by modding my Marshall JVM, and my Peavey VTM-120 (still need to do some tweaks to the bias mod), and I have a much better understanding of how amps work, especially after I read that book. My next step is to buy an amp kit, when I have the extra money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I recommend starting with this book: http://www.amazon.com/Design-Construction-Tube-Guitar-Amplifiers/dp/0615291805

I wish I had it when I started to research how to build an amp. I also recommend buying a simple single channel tube amp an doing some mods to it. Your stompbox building will give you some experience, but opening up an existing amp and performing mods will give you some hands on experience working on an amp, and it will also show you how making changes to various components changes an amp. This is how I started, by modding my Marshall JVM, and my Peavey VTM-120 (still need to do some tweaks to the bias mod), and I have a much better understanding of how amps work, especially after I read that book. My next step is to buy an amp kit, when I have the extra money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Warmoth certainly have good wood but you'll pay for it. My first Carvin was a Bolt kit but I bought some upgrades for the kit such as Walnut body, SS frets and 10" fretboard radius. The HSH pick guard was custom made from Terrapin. My next Carvin was the red DC127 next to it. I also got SS fret and 10" radius like on the Bolt.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Stewart-Macdonald has a lot of great parts, special tools, finishes, everything.
Great to deal with.

As far as building an Martin kit, you will spend more on tools and jigs than the kit, worth it if you plan on building a few.
Like building an flint lock rifle, not many have the skill to turn $500.00 worth of parts into a several K rifle.
Is rewarding though.
Have Fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top