User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2014 6:02:22 PM EDT
Tested out some new Marshalls

W T F?

Where did the sound go? Now they are "fizzy sounding"

Made in China?  WTF?

No 50 watt heads?  W T F?

So what heads are worth a shit sound wise these days?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
They still make stuff in the UK...but the price of entry is quite steep..
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
What speaker cabinet did you play through?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure they have UK greenbacks in the cab.

Otherwise, I'd say Vox is my new favorite.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You could always just hit craigslist or Ebay and pick up a JCM something or other and have the real deal sound for far less.

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
1960a 4x12" cabinet

Heads were DSL series

Ps...they suck

Lol
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Marshalls have been a little fizzy for years, which is why some people remove the bright cap (C83 in my JVM), but some of that fizz you heard is due to the Celestion G12T-75s that the speaker cab you tried has in it.

I've been happy with my JVM, although I have modded it (took a great amp and made it better), and I used to have a TSL that was great too, but became redundant when I got my JVM. They also make the JVM in a 50 watt version. And they also have reissues of the JCM800 and the model 1974 Plexi.

But if you want a hot rodded Marshall without having to mod a Marshall, other companies have that covered. Amps that come to mind are the Splawn Quick Rod, Friedman Brown Eye, and Bogner Helios.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The MG stuff is all fizz/fuzz.

Personally....the only Marshall I ever really liked was the Valvestate...

I don't want a $1000 amp I have to modify.

I like amps that sound great right out of the box....and with no stomp-box processed distortion.

Believe it of don't....my current favorite is a Bugera 333XL Infinium (copied from the Peavy JSX model).

Just add a noise gate, delay pedal, EQ, and guitar.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Amps that come to mind are the Splawn Quick Rod, Friedman Brown Eye, and Bogner Helios.
View Quote

*cough* SLO *cough*
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1960a 4x12" cabinet

Heads were DSL series

Ps...they suck

Lol
View Quote

I currently own an 8 tube/100 watt DSL 2000 that I bought new in the mid 1990s with a 1960a cab and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Splawn Quickrod is a great Marshall.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I currently own an 8 tube/100 watt DSL 2000 that I bought new in the mid 1990s with a 1960a cab and it's the best sounding amp I've ever played.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1960a 4x12" cabinet

Heads were DSL series

Ps...they suck

Lol

I think he's talking about the new DSLs, which are either made in China or Vietnam, can't remember which.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it is!

When is your Supersport supposed to show up?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it was a brand new MADE IN CHINA Marshall DSL 100.

could not find any DSL 50's.  I just got back my second plexi from my amp tech recently.....had both of my plexis recapped due to filter caps getting old.  Rebiased and set up with  new JJ EL-34's.  The older plexi had a bit of a hum that we had to fix.  Now both are freaking hot.  Had them up and running on Sunday through some old grey checkfront Marshall 4x12" 1960B cabinets with 25 watt Blackback Celestions.  As much as I love my Plexi's....I kinda dig having things like an effects loop, etc

Recently picked up a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18...very close to getting the Grandmeister in a few weeks.  Been looking for older JCM800 2205 series Marshalls but they are vaporware.  

I may be switching to H&K for my stage rig....unless I find a kick ass Marshall I can gig with
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a look at Splawn. I have a Pro Mod and love it. It's a hot rodded Plexi, Hot Rodded JCM800 and really Hot Rodded JCM800 in one box, with a KT88 power section. Awhile back they discontinued my amp and made the power section an option with the Quick Rod (just as well, they share the same preamp). So one should scratch your JCM800 itch.

Here's a crappy cell phone vid of me screwing around with mine :
http://youtu.be/IBCZNc63fsI
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah it was a brand new MADE IN CHINA Marshall DSL 100.

could not find any DSL 50's.  I just got back my second plexi from my amp tech recently.....had both of my plexis recapped due to filter caps getting old.  Rebiased and set up with  new JJ EL-34's.  The older plexi had a bit of a hum that we had to fix.  Now both are freaking hot.  Had them up and running on Sunday through some old grey checkfront Marshall 4x12" 1960B cabinets with 25 watt Blackback Celestions.  As much as I love my Plexi's....I kinda dig having things like an effects loop, etc

Recently picked up a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18...very close to getting the Grandmeister in a few weeks.  Been looking for older JCM800 2205 series Marshalls but they are vaporware.  

I may be switching to H&K for my stage rig....unless I find a kick ass Marshall I can gig with
View Quote

You don't be disappointed with the Grandmeister. It's as versatile and awesome a package as you'll find. I've owned or played nearly everything and as far as I'm concerned... the Grandmeister is as good as it gets. Only sold mine because I was going back to all old-school single-channel plexi stuff (a pair of Ceriatones) with pedals. But it's very likely that I'll own another GM down the road. Talk about a Swiss Army Knife!

And yes, I did gig the GM before I sold it and it was great. Cut through the mix and roared as well as any Marshall I've ever gigged.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#16]
The can of bees sound started with the 900 series
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes it is!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is!

Had to abandon the purchase

Paid off some debt like a responsible adult. Growing up sucks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Had to abandon the purchase

Paid off some debt like a responsible adult. Growing up sucks.
View Quote

I struggle with such things as well. Sometimes I choose wisely... most times I do not!

But I only have a small amount of debt on ONE credit card. That's my Sweetwater card and it's 3 years, no interest. So the reason I haven't paid it off is that every time I think about it... I remember that it's THEIR money that I'm using interest-free and just keep paying my monthly payment (that will have it paid off in about 2 years).

My truck is paid-off, and the wife and I are two years from paying our house off. So I'm practically debt-free already. My wife doesn't even get bothered by my music purchases any more because our debt load is so small.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
So if I decided to crank up my JCM800 that I've had since the 80s (haven't used it in about 20 years), will I have problems?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So if I decided to crank up my JCM800 that I've had since the 80s (haven't used it in about 20 years), will I have problems?
View Quote

Might want to pull the chassis out of the head cabinet and look for caps that are leaky or bulged. Other than that, just let it sit on standby for awhile so everything has a chance to warm up at idle. Then go ahead and give it a whirl.

Might want to recap it before long, though.

And shame on you for letting such a great amp sit unused for that long.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm ashamed to say that I really have barely picked up my guitars for many years.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have the music bug again. I'm writing and playing again, and beginning to get some of my chops back.

My wife bought me a Parker Fly Mojo about a year back, and having a nice playing guitar really helped.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gone Shootin nailed it.

filter caps go bad in amps that are not used.  the big 50uf filter caps are notorius for bulging and in some cases popping.  

bests way to keep an amp going it to regularly use it.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Gone Shootin nailed it.

filter caps go bad in amps that are not used.  the big 50uf filter caps are notorius for bulging and in some cases popping.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone Shootin nailed it.

I'll pop it out and have a look.

Next is the Juno-106 in the attic....
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Might want to pull the chassis out of the head cabinet and look for caps that are leaky or bulged. Other than that, just let it sit on standby for awhile so everything has a chance to warm up at idle. Then go ahead and give it a whirl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standby switches accomplish nothing in an audio frequency amp.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait... wut?

Most tube amp builders recommend letting things warm up for at least a minute or thereabouts on standby, so the power tubes don't get slammed with current while they're still cold.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Standby switches are vital with the voltages on Marshalls.  Extends tube life
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Wait... wut?

Most tube amp builders recommend letting things warm up for at least a minute or thereabouts on standby, so the power tubes don't get slammed with current while they're still cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait... wut?

Exactly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait... wut?

Exactly.

Wrong.

Amps have standby switches because Leo Fender put standby switches on his amps.

Leo Fender put standby switches on his amps for two reasons:

1.  The generic circuits he was copying from the major tube companies literature had standby switches, because sometimes those circuits were the basis for RF circuits -in which case a standby switch actually does something.
2.  It let him run cheap, under-sized capacitors in his early amps.

Everyone else was copying him.  Unless your marshall's output stage is powering a radio transmitter, it does nothing.

Don't take my word for it ....  read about it here

Guitar amps don't run at voltages high enough, or have output tubes expensive enough, to make a standby switch anything more than a "mute" switch.

Otherwise, why are there tube amps that do not have a standby switch?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Ummmmm.....

I was an electronics tech in a previous life

I also have played tube amps for the past 35 plus years

Tubes last longer in my experience with amps w standby switches
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ummmmm.....

I was an electronics tech in a previous life

I also have played tube amps for the past 35 plus years

Tubes last longer in my experience with amps w standby switches
View Quote

Former electronics tech.  Explain the process by which a standby switch, especially as wired in fender amps and copies,, can extend tube life in amps operating below 600 volts and at or less than 100 watts.

I have no doubt you thought it did - the placebo effect is very powerful.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Never played fenders.  Only marshalls.  Enlighten me on how slamming a tube with plate voltages without warming the tube up does not hurt it
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never played fenders.  Only marshalls.  Enlighten me on how slamming a tube with plate voltages without warming the tube up does not hurt it
View Quote

Evidently, the fact that 99+% of all tube amps rated at over 5 watts have Standby switches is a result of all of these countless amp builders with their myriad complex circuit designs buying into the standby switch "hype" and doing it simply because "it's always been done".  They are evidently capable of designing complex circuits to produce varying tonal options, but incapable of understanding the need (or lack thereof) for a Standby switch, or... they are afraid to present their amps to the public without the snake oil that is a standby switch.

Btw... I did read that article and the guy seems to know what he's talking about. But I've been using standby switches for going-on 30 years and don't intend to stop doing so now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Same here, I'll keep using my standby switches, especially on my JVM so I can use the silent recording feature.

And even after reading the article, I still don't see any harm in them. To me it's the difference between dumping your clutch or easing up on the pedal smoothly so you don't rack the hell out of your drivetrain.

Also, the article's argument that standbys aren't safe because people forget and leave the amp on and cause fire is a moot point in my case. All of my amps are plugged into a power strip, and when I'm done, the strip either gets turned off or unplugged. Been doing it this way for years.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do amps without standby switches, disconnected standby switches, or unused standby switches manage not to be hurt?  What is the mechanism by which "slamming a tube" with the plate voltages it is designed to use can  "hurt" it?

BTW, marshalls were based on fender circuits.  If you are running a 1000+ watt transmitter tube, then a standby switch has some utility.  In a guitar amp it is a fancy mute button and does nothing for the life of the tube.

If anyone has EVIDENCE to the contrary, by all means post it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]
2 things can actually improve tube life:

Proper bias - line voltage can vary greatly  If you take the amp on the road, bias on the cold side or be prepared to buy tubes,

Let the amp cool down thoroughly before moving it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#36]
How well do tubes do when then come in from cold weather?  Like sitting in a van or trailer during the winter?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How do amps without standby switches, disconnected standby switches, or unused standby switches manage not to be hurt?  What is the mechanism by which "slamming a tube" with the plate voltages it is designed to use can  "hurt" it?

BTW, marshalls were based on fender circuits.  If you are running a 1000+ watt transmitter tube, then a standby switch has some utility.  In a guitar amp it is a fancy mute ampbutton and does nothing for the life of the tube.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, marshalls were based on fender circuits.  If you are running a 1000+ watt transmitter tube, then a standby switch has some utility.  In a guitar amp it is a fancy mute ampbutton and does nothing for the life of the tube.

It is all about the tube life.  I have played tube amps since the Early 70's.  I have retubed my share of amps.  It is exactly like unplugging an instrument cable on an amp that is full up...the surge hits the speaker....which shortens the life of the speakers.  So you recommend that too?  

Over time and after retubing amost for almost 40 years you just know based upon real life...not electronic theory.  Ps.....i do understand electrical theories having been an electronics tech

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gone Shootin nailed it.

I miss my Juno, man, there are a lot of much  more capable keyboards out there, but for a pure synth all it needed was weight / pressure sensitive keys. I wouldn't want weighted keys on the songs I'd play it on, since there was a lot of stuff that required really fast key pumping.

I want another Juno 106, not the new Juno retro stuff. That and a good workstation can do wonders. I still remember the wonder that was MIDI controlled TR 707 drum machines and sequencers. lol Had to sell all my stuff to pay for meds and lawyers and all after my first divorce. Finally built up another small recording studio back in 1998, but had to sell all the instruments and sound equipment to pay for the 2nd divorce in 2008.

Since then, I've just stuck to the bass. Chics don't want to hook up and settle down with a  broke ass bass player. No wife, no divorce, no problem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also, the article's argument that standbys aren't safe because people forget and leave the amp on and cause fire is a moot point in my case. All of my amps are plugged into a power strip, and when I'm done, the strip either gets turned off or unplugged. Been doing it this way for years.
View Quote

WERD!

And during particularly active electrical storms, I always unplug the power strip cables from the wall.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It is all about the tube life.  I have played tube amps since the Early 70's.  I have retubed my share of amps.  It is exactly like unplugging an instrument cable on an amp that is full up...the surge hits the speaker....which shortens the life of the speakers.  So you recommend that too?  

Over time and after retubing amost for almost 40 years you just know based upon real life...not electronic theory.  Ps.....i do understand electrical theories having been an electronics tech
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tubes aren't speakers.  Electronics is science, not feelings.  

5881 tubes (military short-bottle 6L6) were used in servos on B52 bombers.  Do you think the airplane had a standby switch?

Since you understand theory, what specifically is the bad thing you think happens to tubes in amps with no such switch?

BTW built a tube amp when I was 16 - not from a kit.  Hand-formed the chassis out of sheet steel and followed a circuit diagram.  SOld and repaired tube and ss amps for years part time.  Standby does nothing in an audio amp.  It is of some use in RF applications.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

5881 tubes (military short-bottle 6L6) were used in servos on B52 bombers.  Do you think the airplane had a standby switch?

Since you understand theory, what specifically is the bad thing you think happens to tubes in amps with no such switch?

BTW built a tube amp when I was 16 - not from a kit.  Hand-formed the chassis out of sheet steel and followed a circuit diagram.  SOld and repaired tube and ss amps for years part time.  Standby does nothing in an audio amp.  It is of some use in RF applications.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hate to break it to you...but many mil radars did have warm up functions on the tube elements.  Reason stated in the manuals was extending tube life.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

hate to break it to you...but many mil radars did have warm up functions on the tube elements.  Reason stated in the manuals was extending tube life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Servos aren't radars.

Radars are RF devices, and I've already stated that a standby switch in such a device does indeed serve a purpose.

The same is not true in audio frequency applications.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#43]
No new marshall sounds good. get a vintage jcm 800 2203 and live happy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I'm confused or you just pulled a herpa derp

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guitar player, former guitar and amp repairman and salesman, vocationally trained in electronics and have hand-fabricated amps from the chassis up.  In an audio frequency amplifier, at powers below 1000 watts, a "standby" switch is nothing more than a poorly engineered "mute" button.  It is incapable of prolonging tube life, and use of it instead of shutting off the amplifier is a fire hazard, and actually shortens tube life because you are running the heater circuits when they don't need to be.

Stand-by switches are useful in radio frequency applications, especially with output tubes of high power, which are very expensive and somewhat tempermental.  They do nothing for 6L6s, EL34s, & the like.

Caveat - assuming properly sized and rated compoents in the rest of the amp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top