Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
So this version, 1.7 has bass?  If so, def not overpowering, I would even say go for more.

When you are lookin for headphones, you want to find ones that are as neutral as possible.  I.e. no Bose super bass boost shit.  You want the sound as uncolored as possible otherwise it will skew your mixing process.

Nothin beats good monitors tho, so put that on your christmas wish list too ;)
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this version, 1.7 has bass?  If so, def not overpowering, I would even say go for more.

When you are lookin for headphones, you want to find ones that are as neutral as possible.  I.e. no Bose super bass boost shit.  You want the sound as uncolored as possible otherwise it will skew your mixing process.

Nothin beats good monitors tho, so put that on your christmas wish list too ;)
View Quote

I fucked the link, and thought I fixed it... Guess not

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, like Mike said, you want headphones with a flat response.

I've been using a cheap $20 pair of Sony MDR-ZX100s for several years. Most people bitch about their lack of bass response, but I'd say that they're fairly well balanced. One of these days I need to upgrade, but they'll work for now and there are other things I need to get first.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Hmm, those look like some good headphones. Let us know how they turn out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Will do.

Just saw them on sale and with what little time I've had in a real studio, evidently AKG is quite the reputable brand, so I went for it
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought I'd point out that I just picked up a set of JBl lsr305 monitors. They were $149 each, but around $225 for the pair at guitar center.

They sound pretty good alone, and really rock with a sub.

Anyway, you can pick up a decent pair of near fields for relatively low money if you want to get away from the headphone mix.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thought I'd point out that I just picked up a set of JBl lsr305 monitors. They were $149 each, but around $225 for the pair at guitar center.

Anyway, you can pick up a decent pair of near fields for relatively low money if you want to get away from the headphone mix.
View Quote

Part of the issue is when I record, I'm too close to the monitors and was getting feedback, and there's no real way for me change how close I am due to my room, thus headphones :-/
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Part of the issue is when I record, I'm too close to the monitors and was getting feedback, and there's no real way for me change how close I am due to my room, thus headphones :-/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahhh, I see.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
These head-phones sound damn good. I don't have quite the discerning ear that some studio professionals, but they sound pretty flat. Provide enough bass without sounding like they're pumped up on the low end (I'm looking at you Beats by Dre.) Comfortable as hell too
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Moving forward with writing a bit.

Laid down some very rough scratch tracks for literally all of two riffs, but I'm excited for where I think it'll go

Here Toy Go
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Moving forward with writing a bit.

Laid down some very rough scratch tracks for literally all of two riffs, but I'm excited for where I think it'll go

Here Toy Go
View Quote

It's got potential.

How many layers do ya have going on there?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just the two at the moment, I just have a hard time being consistent on guitar
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you use a drum machine, drum program, or a metronome when recording?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you use a drum machine, drum program, or a metronome when recording?
View Quote

Metronome.

I'm not particularly used to playing one in general though. With a bass, I do just fine because I'm used to that motion, but keeping it right on beat consistently with a guitar feel's like a whole new ball game for me.

Edit: Although just toying with that first riff this morning, if I put that accented note first in the riff it makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep on beat since it stands out so much more. So I may well do that when it comes time to do an actual "I give a fuck" recording
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Touched the tone I've been using a bit. Brought down the amp emulated distortion and input gain, put up a tube screamer pedal in front of the amp and then pushed the output gain a little bit on the amp.

Then flipped the order of the EQ and amp emulator so that the signal hits the EQ plugin first and then the Amp.

Altogether its made for a beefier tone that isn't muddy or over distorted, but not so limp-wristed either.

Now as soon as I can actually play guitar consistently and on time

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I've done a fair amount of my mixing with koss ksc75's. Very cheap and sound very good. You'll have to compare your recordings between the headphones and your car and so on if you don't have decent monitors. Guitars seem to be louder in the headphones than other sources.

I've even tracked w/ the same headphones, getting isolation by putting some shooting muffs on top of the earphones. Worked pretty great actually.

If you want something a little nicer, Audio Technica and Sennheiser get a lot of good mentions at the gearslutz forum if you don't want to blow a bunch of money.

And while I'm still learning them, I got the JBL LSR 5" monitors w/ a BO1GO Half off deal and like them quite a lot. They translate fairly well for me, and would probably do even better if i had a treated room.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#18]
my humble "studio" I use Sonar X3

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally figured out that annoying buzzing sound in the background occasionally in my recording. It's the two high strings talking when I play the lower strings, especially through palm mutes.

Note to self: Mute un-used strings with fretting hand.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Finally figured out that annoying buzzing sound in the background occasionally in my recording. It's the two high strings talking when I play the lower strings, especially through palm mutes.

View Quote
I use the pinky and occasionally the ring finger of my picking hand to do that.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to do some experimenting, I'm still new to this "six strings" business
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Any of you guys tried one of these?

Mic Interface combo

Since I sold my drums (Big mistake! Didn't think my back could get better!), all I'm doing is laying down new vocal tracks on some old band recordings I have - and, emulating Ozzy on some tracks I found online with the vocals removed!) - this should be all I need. Right?

At least, I'm HOPING it'll be an adequate set up. Matched with Logic ProX - GTG?

*BTW, what's that site some of you guys post your stuff on? (Free, I think.) I did some experimental tracks with the Ozzy/Sab tune mentioned above using just my Macbook's tiny mic and was blown away at how truly decent some of it sounds. (But, of course, it can be easily overloaded.) Nonetheless, I thought I might post a few on such a site and share it with friends - just for shits and giggles.

Help a guy out?  

Thanks!

ETA: The one linked above is for all-original stuff. Am I stuck with Youtube?  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mic Interface combo

Since I sold my drums (Big mistake! Didn't think my back could get better!), all I'm doing is laying down new vocal tracks on some old band recordings I have - and, emulating Ozzy on some tracks I found online with the vocals removed!) - this should be all I need. Right?

At least, I'm HOPING it'll be an adequate set up. Matched with Logic ProX - GTG?

*BTW, what's that site some of you guys post your stuff on? (Free, I think.) I did some experimental tracks with the Ozzy/Sab tune mentioned above using just my Macbook's tiny mic and was blown away at how truly decent some of it sounds. (But, of course, it can be easily overloaded.) Nonetheless, I thought I might post a few on such a site and share it with friends - just for shits and giggles.

Help a guy out?  

Thanks!

View Quote

Chech out Soundcloud for posting your music.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mic Interface combo

Help a guy out?  

Thanks!

Thanks. But, I just did - and the tune wouldn't load. I'm guessing there's a tag (or something) in the audio file identifying it as copyrighted material, somehow. Is that possible, or am I way off the mark?

I checked youtube and it has an "authorized use" notice, too. Am I relegated, then, to putting the Ozzy stuff on CDs and sending 'em out? LOL

I'm confused, cuz there's bunches of, say, karaoke vids on youtube - and others, similar (though not as good!), as what I did.  

Hmm . . . I sure don't want to break the law. You know?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, after fighting with iMovie for a couple hours (why did they EVER change it?!?), I FINALLY got something to post to Youtube!

I'll go ahead and link to it, so be gentle. It's "Diary of a Madman".

Now that I have an inkling of what I'm doing I might put up my version of "I Don't Know". The effects came out pretty well, but the vocals do distort at times because of obvious mic limitations.

Still, it' a shit-ton of fun playing with Logic Pro X! I sure wish we'd have had a tool like that when I was still playing!

Diary of a Madman - just cuz!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#26]

I'm going to be the noob here and ask:  Why all the keyboards?  Wouldn't two be enough?  Maybe a piano with a full keyboard and velocity control, and another pure synth?

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Well, after fighting with iMovie for a couple hours (why did they EVER change it?!?), I FINALLY got something to post to Youtube!

Now that I have an inkling of what I'm doing I might put up my version of "I Don't Know". The effects came out pretty well, but the vocals do distort at times because of obvious mic limitations.

Still, it' a shit-ton of fun playing with Logic Pro X! I sure wish we'd have had a tool like that when I was still playing!

View Quote

Dial back the reverb on the vocals a bit.  Otherwise?  LOVE IT!

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks bro.  

I just tried to post "I Don't Know", but youtube flagged it for copyright infringement!

I filed a dispute because: 1) it was downloaded FROM YT and is still up, 2) the vocals had been removed/deleted, so it's already been altered, 3) I'm only doing it for fun/not profit and 4) it's no different than any of a thousand other karaoke recordings posted there.

And while I was typing, it looks like I already won the dispute! Hahahahahaaaaaa!!!! Cool!  

Here ya go: "I Don't Know!"
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks bro.  

I just tried to post "I Don't Know", but youtube flagged it for copyright infringement!

I filed a dispute because: 1) it was downloaded FROM YT and is still up, 2) the vocals had been removed/deleted, so it's already been altered, 3) I'm only doing it for fun/not profit and 4) it's no different than any of a thousand other karaoke recordings posted there.

And while I was typing, it looks like I already won the dispute! Hahahahahaaaaaa!!!! Cool!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks bro.  

I've gotta pull that one up on my home theater system.  The speakers in my laptop don't do it justice.

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Black Sabbath (I put in my own thunderstorm, btw! I actually like it better! LOL)

If these are imposing on the home studio thread, just let me know. Okay?

I just thought you guys might get a kick out of 'em.

I hope I'm right.  

ETA: I've got plenty more, if you wanna hear them!  

Eh! What the hell!

Mr Crowley
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Black Sabbath (I put in my own thunderstorm, btw! I actually like it better! LOL)

If these are imposing on the home studio thread, just let me know. Okay?

I just thought you guys might get a kick out of 'em

I hope I'm right.  

ETA: I've got plenty more, if you wanna hear them!  

Eh! What the hell!

Mr Crowley
View Quote

No worries, brother!

Sounds good man, just as was suggested before I'd say dial the reverb on your voice back just a little bit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#32]
New material

Been a while since I've recorded anything. I've been writing quite a lot, but figured it was time to start getting some of it out of my head so I dont forget it
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm going to be the noob here and ask:  Why all the keyboards?  Wouldn't two be enough?  Maybe a piano with a full keyboard and velocity control, and another pure synth?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lost this thread

I have 2 synths, one above the keyboard (Roland VR-09) and 1 in front of the right moniter. The midi board on the left (Alesis QX25) I got because it has a actual midi connector on it (the Novation midi at the far right, I got first and only has a USB connector) I can hook the QX25 up to the VR09 and use it as a 2 keyboard setup for the organ portion of the VR09. Some organs have 2 keyboards, and I can use the QX25 as a 2nd keyboard
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys were pretty forgiving with my Ozzy vocal covers, so I thought I'd post up a number I played drums on (and sang on a little) with my last band, FEARINGMIND, from Harrisburg, PA.

I just dug out the original drum tracks and did a quick remix. The drums were completely buried originally and I'm thrilled with what I was able to produce in about an hour's time in Logic Pro X. Damn! I wish I'd have had access to a freaking tool box like that way back when!

Anyway, hope you like it. It's pretty heavy, so . . . be warned!

"Human Dilemma"
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I've gotten four views so I guess I'll go ahead and post the one other I've got ready!

Hope you like it!

"Dueling Realities"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn!

I'd have thought I'd get SOME kinda' feedback!

Is the thread dead?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn!

I'd have thought I'd get SOME kinda' feedback!

Is the thread dead?  
View Quote

Sorta.

I'll give a listen in a few minutes man
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds pretty damned good for only having 5 weeks of prep, and then only 2 takes each. Both of those show, some awkward and uncomfortable sounding rolls and fills, and the occasional late/early hit.

Otherwise, sounds pretty cool though man. I can dig it
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks bro.

And I know what you mean. I hear 'em too! LOL

It all definitely evolved and matured over time, but this is what I've got of that time - well, plus a few more! They've all got little sections that could stand improvement, but eh! What the hell? It is what it is, as they say!

Thanks for checking it out & providing some feedback.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top