Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 5:36:24 AM EDT
So I finally managed to put together my ultimate rig for guitar that can pretty much handle every type of music I play from country, to classic rock to punk and metal. However, I've kinda just lost the desire to play. I rarely feel the want and when I do I'm only aging for maybe 20-25 min before just being done.

That aside, even though I'm not playing there are a few pieces to the rig I am missing, both pedals and both made by a boutique builder and have been off the market for a while but one of the 2 just came up for sale ~$200 (normal price). Should I just grab it now even though I don't play much anymore or just skip it and wait until I'm actually playing more?

My normal guitar forum now SUCKS so I figure I'd just ask here.

ETA:

Dream rig is this

Splawn Nitro (KT88) head
Orange 412 cab

RJM music RG-16 which controls all pedals and amp channel changing
Liquid Foot midi control lf+jr+

Mxr gt od
Mxr evh phase 90
Monster effects El Dorado

Line 6 wireless
Dunlop 1SR custom shop rack wah
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't know....I guess everybody's playing waxes and wanes. I guess I'd at least keep an eye out for those pedals.

And nice choice on the Nitro. I love my Pro Mod, but sometimes wish it was a Nitro instead.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. I caved and bought the pedal. Most expensive pedal I've purchased to date. Monster Effects Swamp Thang $200.... Used by country artists and even Mastodon. I've been wanting it for a while and figured might as we scoop it up while it was available. Now I just need a Mastortion, a MXR carbon Copy and some chorus pedal.

Eta:

Yeah I loved the pro-mod I had a few years ago. Stupidly sold it to try other amps and knew it was mistake. I do wish the nitro had the gears like Pro-mods.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow nice list there.

I tried the Carbon Copy last week, and honestly the LGS guy pretty much sold me on the Lotus Pedal - Golden Echo.  It just does not have a bad setting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow nice list there.

I tried the Carbon Copy last week, and honestly the LGS guy pretty much sold me on the Lotus Pedal - Golden Echo.  It just does not have a bad setting.
View Quote

Interesting. I'll check out some YouTube videos of it tonight. I usually stick to mxr for all my pedals. For instance, the new octave fuzz la machine...sounds GREAT.

I'm going to have an even more killer rig to collect dust.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#5]
MXR Phase 90 is the "original" sound to me, but there are just so many other companies making cool sounding stuff.

I did go in figuring I'll just buy a Carbon Copy (since I'd heard many demos, just wanted to play it myself),  after the LGS guy prodded me for what I'd be using it with, and what for,  he grabbed the CC, a Mooer Analog Delay, the Budda Samsara Delay, the CC, and the Lotus Golden Echo.  I want an ultra short delay to thicken up my sound.  The Mooer has a very noticeable 1st delay so it was out, the CC sounded good, but the delays were still very present and upfront.   The Samsara has a tone control, and I could darken the delayed sound, but the Golden Echo was a step past that, in my desired effect and in that you could not get it to feedback even with near infinite delays.  

Otherwise I want a Choad Blaster (almost on name alone!) from Henretta Engineering.

Funny that both pedals that I want are built in MN.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I mostly gave up playing for about 14 years before a life changing event
called me back into music. I don't do it for money now. I do it for love.

For the past 9 years I have not made a dime from playing music but I have

blessed and helped bless a lot of people.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I was recently getting back into it then some stuff happened and it killed all desire to play.

I like the EVH phase 90 a bunch. I saw it in so many racks and pedal boards it had to try it.

I don't use effects a lot. I'll say that. But I like to have them available if I want them. I used to just use a chorus pedal on cleans and straight amp Overdrive. Now I have no chorus on clean (can't decide what to buy) and mostly straight amp overdrive sometimes boosted with gt od.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I just roll with the changes and my desire to play ALWAYS comes back.

I've had years where I was more into guns/reloading than playing and didn't play every day. And in the case of the past several years, I'm MUCH more into playing than guns. I just go with whatever I'm into. In fact, last fall was all about bass playing. Bought 4 basses, a GK bass head, and a couple of different cabs and just did bass after nearly 30 years of playing guitar. I thought that I was mostly done with guitar. But after several months of living on 4 and 5 strings... I recently found my passion for guitar re-ignited. This has also happened with the mandolin and other instruments. And it also happens within the realm of guitar... where I took a couple of years and just played acoustic guitar and had no desire to blast through my pedals and amps. It's all cyclical and seasonal for me. So instead of fighting it or getting too crazy with gear swaps... I'm trying to be a little more steady on the course now and be committed to moving steadily forward no matter what direction my wind is blowing at the time. In the end, it all makes me happy, and it all adds to my knowledge and experience in music (or other pursuits in life).
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah. I started playing about 10 years ago. Played in bands a lot and that kept me interested. But with no band, no time for a band and no good teachers around here I feel like I stagnate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Like anything, it will grow boring and tiresome. Stop playing for a month and then pick it back up. You'll have incredible gains after.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully, although my new pedal arrived...so resistance to playing may become futile.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
It happens and I'm in the same boat as you.  Seems I have about four hobbies I rotate around in as my interests come and go.  My interest in music is currently waning and I haven't touched a guitar/drums in weeks now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top