Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2017 1:50:34 PM EDT
Here's what I keep:

* Tools to remove the cowling and spark plugs, safety wire and pliers, Fluke meter.
* Personal Locator Beacon (If you get injured or land somewhere remotely, you might not be able to make it to help in a survivable situation in time).
* First Aid Kit
* MREs and bottles of water
* First aid kit
* Life vests
* Small tent and wool military blankets
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a plane but I would carry a parachute.

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a plane but I would carry a parachute.

View Quote
You might as well carry an anvil, they are equally useful.

We keep a raft, FAK, small spare parts, water and a basic tool kit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
A roll of hundreds. Where I fly rescuers could find my plane by just looking for the the circling news helicopters.  Even an ELT is pretty much a waste.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tool kit, first aid kit, small survival kit and life vests.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
In my old Aztec:

ABC fire extinguisher
Small tool kit with sufficient tools to change a plug or vacuum pump
2 plugs
vacuum pump
First Aid Kit
EPIRB- way more effective than the damned ELT required

When over water- life raft and vests for each occupant
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You might as well carry an anvil, they are equally useful.

We keep a raft, FAK, small spare parts, water and a basic tool kit.
View Quote
A parachute and an anvil.......... both are quality manufactured products by ACME
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder the FAA has been approached about making the ELT requirement an either/or with the EPIRB. I've heard wonderful stories about EPIRBs, while ELTs have been described as a make-work program for battery manufacturers and wild-goose chases for CAP people.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my old Aztec:

ABC fire extinguisher
Small tool kit with sufficient tools to change a plug or vacuum pump
2 plugs
vacuum pump
First Aid Kit

When over water- life raft and vests for each occupant  
View Quote
I'd be tempted to throw an alternator belt I with your parts.  Watched on guy who made an emergency total electrical out landing at our base spend close to 24 hours waiting for someone to show up with a replacement belt and put it on.

If flying in the back country, throw in a survival kit for each passenger, possibly an RAF (Recreational Aviation Foundation) recommended survival vest for each passenger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a raft, life vests for each seat, a couple first aid kits, wireless sat phone, and a fly away kit in all of our planes. Personally aside from having used the first aid kits for bandaids a million times for the frequent preflight inspection bleeding I think the rest of the emergency stuff is wasted space and weight. Especially since the raft is always under a couple hundred pounds of bags. It's just for decoration. That's it and that's all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd be tempted to throw an alternator belt I with your parts.  Watched on guy who made an emergency total electrical out landing at our base spend close to 24 hours waiting for someone to show up with a replacement belt and put it on.

If flying in the back country, throw in a survival kit for each passenger, possibly an RAF (Recreational Aviation Foundation) recommended survival vest for each passenger.
View Quote
Spare alternator belts were tie-wrapped on the engine so they could be put on without pulling a prop.

When I owned the plane, I flew it mostly in Florida and the Bahamas and up to Illinois occasionally, so survival vests weren't needed as much as over-water survival gear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The work vest includes a radio, small FAK, CAT TQ, signal flare, mirror, flashlight, and some small survival gear.  There are multiple general purpose FAKs on board.

I bring along a pocket trauma kit, light, knife, lighter,  and a bag with an extra shell layer, insulating layer, hat, gloves, 1L of water, some food, a metal cup, and esbit stove with 12 tabs.
(I'll omit the insulating layer and ski gloves in the summer, and add a bug-net hat)

If you crash/ditch, only count on getting out with what is physically attached to you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The work vest includes a radio, small FAK, CAT TQ, signal flare, mirror, flashlight, and some small survival gear.  There are multiple general purpose FAKs on board.

I bring along a pocket trauma kit, light, knife, lighter,  and a bag with an extra shell layer, insulating layer, hat, gloves, 1L of water, some food, a metal cup, and esbit stove with 12 tabs.
(I'll omit the insulating layer and ski gloves in the summer, and add a bug-net hat)

If you crash/ditch, only count on getting out with what is physically attached to you.  
View Quote
I knew a guy who spent a lot of time in passenger seats of Alaska bush planes.  He had a "One quart survival kit" that lived in the calf pocket of the 5.11s he always wore when he flew.  The bag was a leather pouch same size of a 1 quart Zip Loc bag, which was inside the pouch filled with the contents of the kit.

The leather pouch had a paracord lanyard he tied around his ankle so that if he ended up crawling out of a crashed bush lane, he would automatically drag a basic survival kit with him.  I'm going to have to search for the one he gave me.  The list of contents was ingenious and was based on some hard learned lessons he saw while working in Alaska.

If this bug to go back country flying I've got right now carry through I just might be carrying the same sort of kit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
EPIRBs are the shizzle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
EPIRBs are the shizzle.
View Quote
My understanding is that the 408 MHz ELT's are pretty damn good too.

They weren't an option when I owned the Aztec.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#16]
One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the cool things about flying remote control airplanes on the other side of the world....
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've heard of people who fly over large forested areas carrying a long rope.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.
View Quote
Guy could have a pretty good time in Dallas with that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I'll be the guy to add it.  

Toilet paper and a good quality garbage bag.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll be the guy to add it.  

Toilet paper and a good quality garbage bag.
View Quote
Tyler Wojo; is that you?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tyler Wojo; is that you?
View Quote
I don't know who Tyler is, I just know he is not alone.  

This is the dark side of aviation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top