Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 3:08:09 PM EDT
Had an stress and echo to make sure it was reflux/stress causing some chest pains, they found a congenital bicuspid aortic valve.  Grounded.

Waiting for some paperwork from the Dr, then more waiting for the FAA in OKC to tell me what else they want me to do.

In the meantime, I guess I need to go actually fly the 1/5th scale Waco I built.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Aw man, that sucks!

I have one for CPAP and thyroid meds and it's a pain, but worth it overall. In my case, as long as everything is maintained then I'm golden. I have to renew every year (ie, not good for any class after twelve months), and it runs me $225 instead of the usual C-note. Fingers crossed you get back in the air soon, but the snail mail game with the FAA can be pretty long and drawn out, I'm afraid. Enjoy that Waco in the mean time!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that sucks to hear. Well, thankfully that doesn't mean you'll be losing your livelihood. The good news is that your condition has been recognized so at least it can be treated or at least given consideration for your long term health. Living is still more important than flying. Also, there's still a whole lot of fun aviating to be accomplished without a medical. If you so desire, you will still slip the surly bonds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they find a degree of stenosis in the valve?  If not I wouldn't worry too much about it from a health standpoint.  You will need to have serial echocardiograms now to monitor the valve but I'm sure they told you that.

I hope they don't take too long to get your medial cleared.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they find a degree of stenosis in the valve?  If not I wouldn't worry too much about it from a health standpoint.  You will need to have serial echocardiograms now to monitor the valve but I'm sure they told you that.

I hope they don't take too long to get your medial cleared.
View Quote
No stenosis, mild/mod regurgitation.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
You should get plugged into a good cardiologist.  Blood pressure control and some think statins can slow progression of stenosis.  The bicuspids I see seem to have worse stenosis than regurg.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should get plugged into a good cardiologist.  Blood pressure control and some think statins can slow progression of stenosis.  The bicuspids I see seem to have worse stenosis than regurg.
View Quote
BP is normal (12x/7x). No stenosis and a 0 overall calcium score at this point. Have followup Echo in a year with my cardio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top