Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 11:33:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks hot.  As in 120 degrees Fahrenheit hot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you tell me why an Air Force jet has what appears to be an arrestor hook tucked between the engines? Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you tell me why an Air Force jet has what appears to be an arrestor hook tucked between the engines? Just curious.
View Quote
Because it is an arrestor hook.  Lots of fighter bases have cables at the end of the runway for emergencies.

Edit: Not a fighter pilot, so somebody else may chime in.  But you can find yourself in a situation where you're not taking the jet airborne, but you can't stop it either.  Taking the cable may be your last shot before having to punch out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because it is an arrestor hook.  Lots of fighter bases have cables at the end of the runway for emergencies.

Edit: Not a fighter pilot, so somebody else may chime in.  But you can find yourself in a situation where you're not taking the jet airborne, but you can't stop it either.  Taking the cable may be your last shot before having to punch out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More for LANDING emergencies than anything else. If you snag a wire at the departure end of the runway, you're world is already upside down.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't the Argies try to set up arresting gear on the Falklands so their A-4s could operate from there?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't the Argies try to set up arresting gear on the Falklands so their A-4s could operate from there?
View Quote
Yes they did, lost one airplane in the process. But to be fair, it was after the only Vulcan actual combat bombing ever conducted. The RAF cratered the runway at it's mid-point from 50,000' limiting the airfield to only being able to handle C-130's for loaded landings and empty takeoffs. Of course after the Argentinians had a C-130 shot down by the RAF, they stopped all aerial resupply of the islands. It was at that point that the whole world knew the war was won by the British.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about F15s, but the F117 arrestor hook could only be dropped, not raised like a Navy plane. It had to be manually stowed on the ground once deployed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For full power engine runs mainly. Brakes alone won't hold it down in AB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More for LANDING emergencies than anything else. If you snag a wire at the departure end of the runway, you're world is already upside down.
For full power engine runs mainly. Brakes alone won't hold it down in AB.
Sure it's used for that purpose but that's not why it's there.  Shackles on the gear struts would work fine as hold backs.  It for arrested landings when you have a gear or brake problem, usually hydraulic system failure. I've seen them used quite a few times, sometimes hilariously.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not necessarily, you could just be doing a high speed abort...just hope it doesn't skip the cable.  Although, we do use them for approach end arrestment for certain landing emergencies.

Quoted:
Not sure about F15s, but the F117 arrestor hook could only be dropped, not raised like a Navy plane. It had to be manually stowed on the ground once deployed.
Same for the Viper.  You can raise the hook switch, but it just lifts off the ground a little bit.  Has to be stowed my maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking mostly on the Viper side...Mainly EP stuff, on both Takeoff and Landing.

For take off, heavy weight abort with two bags and munitions on the wings, depending on the distance it could get a little sporty.

Landing as stated, brake malfunctions/hydraulic issues. Or taking a heavyweight EP airborne and being heavy on final causing you to be fast, once again this is all dependent on the runway available.

Long story short, it gives you options when you are in a pinch...I like options

ETA Ragingwhite nailed it
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not necessarily, you could just be doing a high speed abort...just hope it doesn't skip the cable.  Although, we do use them for approach end arrestment for certain landing emergencies.  Same for the Viper.  You can raise the hook switch, but it just lifts off the ground a little bit.  Has to be stowed my maintenance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not necessarily, you could just be doing a high speed abort...just hope it doesn't skip the cable.  Although, we do use them for approach end arrestment for certain landing emergencies.  

Quoted:
Same for the Viper.  You can raise the hook switch, but it just lifts off the ground a little bit.  Has to be stowed my maintenance.  
Most AF aircraft with hooks are only one way.  They have to be reset by the ground crew due to the simple design of the system to reduce weight by eliminating a hydraulics system to raise the hook.

The only AF aircraft with self-retracting hooks were the F-4 Phantom, F-111 Aardvark, A-7 Corsair II and A-1D Skyraider.  Those retractable hooks reflect the Navy heritage of those aircraft designs (or intended heritage for the F-111).
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most AF aircraft with hooks are only one way.  They have to be reset by the ground crew due to the simple design of the system to reduce weight by eliminating a hydraulics system to raise the hook.
View Quote
This!  Back in the day I had to stow plenty of the tailhooks after a barrier engagement or various other jobs. I wasn't a very good crew chief so they kicked me over to ops and they made me a pilot.  I showed them!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]

One of my favorite acft to have worked on. Looking at the 1st picture brought me back to that unique smell those tail pipes have.

I worked swing shift at Langley in the early '80's (27TFS), there was nothing better than laying across the top of the engine cowls on a cool summer night and feel the heat radiate up into your back,

it was like a heated lounge chair.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes they did, lost one airplane in the process. But to be fair, it was after the only Vulcan actual combat bombing ever conducted. The RAF cratered the runway at it's mid-point from 50,000' limiting the airfield to only being able to handle C-130's for loaded landings and empty takeoffs. Of course after the Argentinians had a C-130 shot down by the RAF, they stopped all aerial resupply of the islands. It was at that point that the whole world knew the war was won by the British.
View Quote
I literally finished this book about that attack, well worth the read!

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Back when I taught UPT, we would have Saudi students come through from time to time. Flying with those kids was... Exciting. Wonder if any of them are flying those jets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I watched a couple of F4's grab the arresting barrier when I was stationed in Thailand during the Viet Nam war.  Kind of cool since no one was hurt.  Phantoms were toast.  I also got to see them hooked up to the test pads and run up into AB.  Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice pics OP.  Are you a former F15 mechanic in the Air Force working for the RSAF?

I've seen the drogue chute break loose on an AirForce F4 that had some emergency or other landing at NAS Dallas.  He dropped the hook and grabbed the arrestor wire as the strip was too short for an F4 without one or the other.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a chance to watch an emergency landing that utilized the hook by one of our F-15's (Langley bird) while TDY at Dhahran way back in March or April of 1994 .

It was just after dark, so, sparks everywhere when that hook hit the runway and grabbed whatever the hell it is it grabs .
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#28]
You can Google arrested landings.    They're just not at fighter bases per se.    Typically they've got approach and departure end barriers.    Fighter guys can back me up on this but I think the procedure to land with hydraulic/brake failure is if you miss the barrier engagement is to eject.  (or try again)
I used to work with some F-15 pilots that helped deliver the F-15S to Saudi and the F-15I to Israel.

F-16 Fighting Falcon Arrested Landings At Tulsa International Airport
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can Google arrested landings.    They're just not at fighter bases per se.    Typically they've got approach and departure end barriers.    Fighter guys can back me up on this but I think the procedure to land with hydraulic/brake failure is if you miss the barrier engagement is to eject.  (or try again)
I used to work with some F-15 pilots that helped deliver the F-15S to Saudi and the F-15I to Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblVgm5x-Ng
View Quote
BAK-12, been around for eons.  The main brake comes from a B52 (or did in the old versions)

Yes, emergency use only.  On AF jets, they only go down and are blown down by compressed N2.  With a Viper you put a chock on the ground where the hook will hit before you test it.  They slam down pretty damn hard and stay there.  Bouncing on the runway would mean a cable hop and a lost jet in an emergency.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#32]
What? You never saw Tomcats?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#33]
What? you never saw Tomcats?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Saudi F-15s are the worst.  Their -C models must be absolute junk considering all the cash they're throwing at the SA and S Conversions.

(And the F-15SA is a POS too...thanks Boeing for being you!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top