Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 9:03:46 PM EDT
Watched this a couple times.  Still quite can't figure out what happened.  Hate to say it, but seemed like gross incompetence on the part of the PIC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPo5yuLbvco

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Watched this a couple times.  Still quite can't figure out what happened.  Hate to say it, but seemed like gross incompetence on the part of the PIC?

View Quote

I was trying to follow all that and the ATC was confusing the shit out of me, might have gotten a bit overloaded himself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was trying to follow all that and the ATC was confusing the shit out of me, might have gotten a bit overloaded himself.
View Quote
No kidding I was thinking the same thing. I believe I would have said the hell with it and exited the pattern.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Did that small plane have three people in it? How does a plane just fall out of the sky like that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did that small plane have three people in it? How does a plane just fall out of the sky like that?
View Quote
She spun it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
This one's been done here before. Inexperienced pilot flying a plane she wasn't competent in, in airspace she wasn't competent in. Controller usually seems to get the blame in these discussions because he didn't drop everything and put on his kid gloves to handle this woman.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This looks like a group effort . But at the end of the day the pilots number one job is to fly the plane . Any chance wake turbulence contributed ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it was wake turbulence, it was sheer incompetence.  Terribly, terribly  sad for the families but it appears she was in over her head trying to go into hobby.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't think it was wake turbulence, it was sheer incompetence.  Terribly, terribly  sad for the families but it appears she was in over her head trying to go into hobby.
View Quote
Unfortunately, yes.  You also have to realize that the way the LiveATC recordings work, you don't necessarily hear all the transmissions from the plane.  An individual sets up a receiver somewhere - usually fairly near the field, but sometimes not as close as necessary - so when the plane gets low, you no longer hear their transmissions.

That said, I'm guessing there's some stuff missing that makes it sound like ATC was just willy nilly changing stuff.  I have a feeling that the Cirrus was having trouble with the cross wind, was already stressed due to multiple errors, flying very high patterns, and she just lost it on another go-around.  If I'm reading the winds right, she also was dealing with a quartering tail wind of up to about 7kts, depending on the gusts.  She just lost it, that's all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Why was she so high on her approaches though, that's what I don't get.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Uncoordinated stall at low altitude. Like others have said, she was in above her head with the plane and airspace.  Sad.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Speaking in general, I suspect that the SR20 and SR22 are too much airplane for most private pilots.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Several issues here. PIC was given confusing instruction the last being land R4 then hard right Put it on 35. She had already missed a couple was at low altitude and stressed. Final nail was the left turn so to about 270 to join downwind for R4 again it was a downwind turn with 15 knots of wind. Low ,slow, confused probably looking hard outside. she stall/spinned it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Speaking in general, I suspect that the SR20 and SR22 are too much airplane for most private pilots.
View Quote
I believe that I read somewhere that the average flight time for a Cirrus pilot involved in a fatal crash was something like 1300 hours. There's something concerning about this to me.

As far as the LiveATC recordings are concerned, I pulled the recording of when I had my engine failure. While you could hear me decline the intersection departure, none of the comms of me reporting the failure or the sound of the landing were picked up (I had the mic keyed the entire time).
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have always heard the Cirrus is the new Bonanza.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doctor Killer ®
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Cirrus is a great aircraft and is no harder to fly then any other aircraft.    

This crash was 90% pilot error and 10% ATC changing back and forth between two runways while trying to squeeze a 70kt on final aircraft in between a bunch of 737's that are doing 145kts on final.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This crash was 90% pilot error and 10% ATC changing back and forth between two runways while trying to squeeze a 70kt on final aircraft in between a bunch of 737's that are doing 145kts on final.
View Quote
With the exception of a mid-air collision, ATC cannot crash an aircraft, not even if they wanted too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was just about to post the exact same thing....
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
His knock wasn't on Cirrus, but more some of the pilots that fly them.... their wallet and aircraft far exceed their capabilities... in other words, the Cirrus is the new "fork tailed doctor killer."

If you are flying a Cirrus, you should be able to handle the above scenario half asleep, yawning, feet on the dash and sippin coffee... if not, you're out of your element.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top