Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 3:20:29 PM EDT
Some of you may recall that I posted recently (in GD) asking for advice on beginning pilot training.   Got it all sorted, everything is squared away -- my school is great and highly recommended, planning on 3-4x/week flying, class 3 medical is go, etc..  The discovery flight was great.  Really looking forward to starting my journey this Tuesday.

My question, for you more experienced folks, do you see any benefit using sims?  Seems like there are some quality, reputable programs out there, but do you find any practical benefit?  What I'm focusing on more than anything is reading through the Jeppesen PPL book and listening to as many ATC interactions as I can, but was wondering if sims help supplement training somehow.   I'm in the camp that nothing will surpass real-world flying experience, but maybe there's something sims can offer that I'm not thinking of.

Advice? Thoughts?

ETA:  I mean sims that a home computer can run, not the big simulators schools and institutes can offer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They're useful in IFR training, but I wouldn't bother with it for a PPL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Being a sim jockey most of my life made flying under the hood a breeze but like anything else its all in how much time you've spent doing it.  For radios, I recommend getting a GoPro or something else you can plug into the intercom and record your radio calls so you can go back and review.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a sim jockey most of my life made flying under the hood a breeze but like anything else its all in how much time you've spent doing it.  For radios, I recommend getting a GoPro or something else you can plug into the intercom and record your radio calls so you can go back and review.
View Quote
GoPro is on the docket once I get going. If you have any recommended setups, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

GoPro is on the docket once I get going. If you have any recommended setups, I'm all ears.
View Quote
Depending on what model you get:
GoPro 3 & 4 cable
GoPro 5 cable
You'll also want a prop filter and while Sporty's sells mounting kits that have the cable and filter, I'd go with an actual GoPro suction cup mount.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I never found the average pc sim to be useful. Flying the sim with a joy stick and hotas throttle, flight and engine instruments crammed onto the bottom half of a computer screen, limited view out the front..  Not realistic enough. I actually found frasca sims to be far more helpful simply because it felt like more of an airplane when you were sitting in it. If you made a more dedicated sit-inside kinda sim with a couple of computer screens then it might be better. I learned to fly the shit out of NDBs in a frasca though. Of course, the ultimate are the full motion level D sims we use now. They supposedly fly just like the real thing (but they dont). Still, they're damn good for training. How helpful a sim will be will be determined by how well set up it is.
But that's just been my experience with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're useful in IFR training, but I wouldn't bother with it for a PPL.
View Quote
I agree with this.  The one thing to be careful of is to get some IFR training before you start to hard on the sim.  You don't want to ingrain a bad habit in the sim that'll be hard to break in the plane.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The Sim is not going to help with initial aircraft control training.  It does come in handy if you want to practice navigation (VOR/NDB/GPS).  Makes it easier to figure out how to turn the knobs and push the buttons to make it all come together.
When I did my flight training, the Sim was very handy once I got into cross country and solo flights.  Plan the route and fly it in the Sim and all the landmarks and nav points will be familiar in real life.
I used the old MS Flight Sim 3.1.  Primitive by todays standard but it still helped.  FSX is great, get it on steam with the add-ons.  Cost is only about the same as 1 hour in a 172.

Currently taking my P-3C on an around the world tour hitting all my old bases.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Great advice.

Overwhelming support for not using sims until IFR training comes up...  I think I'll go with this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I think there might be 4 things playing with sim software / games on a pc might help with.

1. understanding navigation
2. instrument cross check
3. hand eye coordination.
4. understanding attitude reference on the ADI and what it looks like outside.

If you need help with those at a basic level, then it might help, if not then probably not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was a flight instructor is was readily apparent which students used sims at home, particularly under the hood, they picked up much quicker.  This was 99-2000 when pc  sims were.....meh
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Get Flight Simulator X, preferably steam edition.

Go to A2A simulations and spend the dough for one of their aircraft. They have some of the best replicated aircraft ever on a game, simulating wear and tear, oil, oil vicosity, you name it. Failures happen and you have to maintain your aircraft. they everything from the B-17, Constellation to a C172.

Buy a HOTAS/Stick combo with a minimum of 10 buttons. If you want cheap a Thrustmaster Hotas X will do.

If you want to really get into it like I did, buy a Trackir5 package. Its a bit expensive, but very very useful. Its a headtracker that relays your head position in game so you can look around without using a hat switch. Also useful for DCS World.

PM me if you want more info. FSX Steam also has a multiplayer with people playing ATC.

Heres a teaser of their C172, Part 1 of 3 and several tutorial videos.
A2A Accu-Sim C172 Trainer Development Video Part 1 of 3
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get Flight Simulator X, preferably steam edition.

Go to A2A simulations and spend the dough for one of their aircraft. They have some of the best replicated aircraft ever on a game, simulating wear and tear, oil, oil vicosity, you name it. Failures happen and you have to maintain your aircraft. they everything from the B-17, Constellation to a C172.

Buy a HOTAS/Stick combo with a minimum of 10 buttons. If you want cheap a Thrustmaster Hotas X will do.

If you want to really get into it like I did, buy a Trackir5 package. Its a bit expensive, but very very useful. Its a headtracker that relays your head position in game so you can look around without using a hat switch. Also useful for DCS World.

PM me if you want more info. FSX Steam also has a multiplayer with people playing ATC.

Heres a teaser of their C172, Part 1 of 3 and several tutorial videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YQjabJiFt4
View Quote

That's amazing.   Hell, that'd be useful to simply learn everything on the aircraft!! (for me, a Piper Cherokee).

Great recommendation.   In addition to appealing to my desire to fly, it's definitely got my interest from a programmer perspective.  This is a really cool setup.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's amazing.   Hell, that'd be useful to simply learn everything on the aircraft!! (for me, a Piper Cherokee).

Great recommendation.   In addition to appealing to my desire to fly, it's definitely got my interest from a programmer perspective.  This is a really cool setup.
View Quote
They have a piper cherokee sim too.
A2A Piper Cherokee 180 Ten Minute Promo

I have the P-40,B-17, and P-47. They are worth the price tag with accu sim. Take a look at the a2a forums as well for software updates and repaints.

If you are a military guy, take a look at DCS World. The aircraft don't have accu sim features, but they do replicate in every detail what it is like from startup to shooting down aircraft. In multiplayer you'll have full fledged dogfights. DCS is also free and the addons are not.
DCS: Two F-5E vs Four MiG-21bis [21:9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWQRsPce7ss

I have the P-40,B-17, and P-47. They are worth the price tag with accu sim. Take a look at the a2a forums as well for software updates and repaints.

If you are a military guy, take a look at DCS World. The aircraft don't have accu sim features, but they do replicate in every detail what it is like from startup to shooting down aircraft. In multiplayer you'll have full fledged dogfights. DCS is also free and the addons are not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20oE0i6dRw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWQRsPce7ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20oE0i6dRw
So what's the total deal here, I'm not following - do I need Microsoft Flight Simulator and these are add-ons?   Thinking I wouldn't mind getting this for the Cherokee.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Simulators are great for not only IFR, but also emergency procedures training.  They really help teach diagnosis and troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So what's the total deal here, I'm not following - do I need Microsoft Flight Simulator and these are add-ons?   Thinking I wouldn't mind getting this for the Cherokee.
View Quote
FSX and the Cherokee are separate purchases and the Cherokee is an add on. The Cherokee has a trainer package for FSX which includes Accu sim.

You are going to need Steam. Steam download link Its a major port for all things PC gaming. Then you will use that to buy FSX: Steam edition. Then you are going over to A2A's store website and their Cherokee
Link

Once you buy it and finish the download, then you will have a exe file. It will open an installer. Make sure the directory file that it sends the files to is FSX Steam, it should look something like this.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Its going to take more than a few hours to get adjusted to how things work in FSX, and a few more to learn the aircraft. The manual is 104 pages long.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FSX and the Cherokee are separate purchases and the Cherokee is an add on. The Cherokee has a trainer package for FSX which includes Accu sim.

You are going to need Steam. Steam download link Its a major port for all things PC gaming. Then you will use that to buy FSX: Steam edition. Then you are going over to A2A's store website and their Cherokee
Link

Once you buy it and finish the download, then you will have a exe file. It will open an installer. Make sure the directory file that it sends the files to is FSX Steam, it should look something like this.

Its going to take more than a few hours to get adjusted to how things work in FSX, and a few more to learn the aircraft. The manual is 104 pages long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
FSX Steam or Lockheed Martin P3D are both great Sims. A2A makes fantastic add-ons that really give you the feel of being in an aircraft. Remember unless you have a really powerful computer you'll be turning down the eye candy a bit but for training you want smoothness not something pretty out the window. Once you get the hang of the sim check out VATSIMS network, loads of fun especially if you want to practice radio comms and procedures.

The sim is never going to get rid of the need for real world experience but it can definitely get you more comfortable in your aircraft.

Just be careful the sim can very addictive and expensive if you really get into it. Tons of add-ons for weather, aircraft, airports, camera view and the like.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I found it useful for many things, just not the actual flight things. 

To me the secret of learning to fly was the flying part is easy.  It is all the systems management stuff that is the challenge.

Practice stuff like pattern work, radio calls, checklists, etc in the sim.  It will help you learn to be less "busy" while really flying while allowing an easy way to build skills.  IIRC MSFS has radio stuff, or just listen to LiveATC while flying.  Learn to listen to the radio and what a proper radio call looks like. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it could possibly be helpful, but it could also result in a lot of negative transfer of training as well.    Ideally, you should have a pilot set you up with some profiles, lessons, etc.  

I've been thinking about building a home sim, to begin training my children.

Where in Fl.  Do you live?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]
The military uses simulators extensively for both initial qualification training and emergency procedures training.

But I'm not sure about the fidelity of the sims you have access to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think it could possibly be helpful, but it could also result in a lot of negative transfer of training as well.    Ideally, you should have a pilot set you up with some profiles, lessons, etc.  

I've been thinking about building a home sim, to begin training my children.

Where in Fl.  Do you live?
View Quote
Lakeland
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The military uses simulators extensively for both initial qualification training and emergency procedures training.

But I'm not sure about the fidelity of the sims you have access to.
View Quote
Limited to home entertainment/consumer sims. MFS, Xplane, etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Limited to home entertainment/consumer sims. MFS, Xplane, etc.
View Quote
Gotcha. Well in that case, I would say the biggest benefit to sim usage for you is going to be cockpit layout familiarization (switch locations) and normal checklist procedures. But I have zero civilian flying experience, and zero hours with those computer programs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I probably spend more time than is recommended watching YouTube aviation videos.  This video right here is what has convinced me to further explore doing the sim thing.  

Can YOU Survive VFR into IMC - Practical Flight Simulator Challenge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top