Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 11:41:06 AM EDT
Don't remember seeing this one yet.

Supposedly GOL airlines in Brazil.

Looking at the radar, I wonder why they even started the approach, mush have had a hot date or something.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I wish I could see the airspeed and altitude.    Looks like he had a good climb rate the whole time?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting.  I wish I could see the airspeed and altitude.    Looks like he had a good climb rate the whole time?
View Quote
Is that a PWS warning?  Sounds like "windshear ahead" to me, thats what the magic bus says for a PWS warning.  Hard to tell if it's just heavy rain or some little hail towards the end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
"Go Around Windshear Ahead"

It looked a lot tamer than the sim.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the rightseater reading the checklist?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure doesn't look as responsive as my little airplane. Attitude appeared stable with lots of control input. You can see the altitude ribbon the right side. It looks like pitch angle increased significantly prior to any increase in altitude. Can someone provide some insight into this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sure doesn't look as responsive as my little airplane. Attitude appeared stable with lots of control input. You can see the altitude ribbon the right side. It looks like pitch angle increased significantly prior to any increase in altitude. Can someone provide some insight into this?
View Quote
Momentum and spool up lag in the engines.  There isn't much extra energy in the wing coming down final in landing configuration.

The bigger the airplane, the longer it takes to get it to change directions.  Once he sets "radar power" or pushes the thrust levers all the way up, it takes a few seconds for the engines to respond and spool up.  Turbines make most of their power in the last 20% or so of rotational speed.  It can seem like forever for the engines to spool up from idle, especially in older airplanes.

Once they get the power up, and the nose pointed up, it looks like they maintain a pretty good rate of climb.  Wish we could see the airspeed, and what it's doing.

ETA:  Also, the slower your airspeed, the more pitch change it's going to take to change the flight path.  All the drag they have hanging out isn't helping the cause either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That poor bastards face was painted with fear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a windshear going into to Freeport Bahamas in a King Air C90B once.

It was my leg and flying the full ILS approach (non-radar) when the shear snagged us.

The captain and me both grabbed power levers at the same time. We saw a 40 knot decrease followed by damn near 60 increase.

Turns out there was a bit of a microburst that a 737 reported as THEY were going around that the approach controller forgot about... the bastards.

To say it scared us shitless would be an understatement. Our pax were clueless about it as we lied like rugs about the reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Based on the size of his wristwatch they were never in any danger...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Can any of you transport category guys explain why the gear wasn't raised once a positive rate was achieved and things seemed to calm down a bit?

FWIW my experience is all in light singles and twins but it seems to me you'd want to get them tucked up in the wells once terrain clearance and positive rate is achieved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can any of you transport category guys explain why the gear wasn't raised once a positive rate was achieved and things seemed to calm down a bit?

FWIW my experience is all in light singles and twins but it seems to me you'd want to get them tucked up in the wells once terrain clearance and positive rate is achieved.
View Quote
The established windshear escape procedure (at least in every transport category airplane I've ever flown) is to apply maximum power, pitch to 15 degrees or flight director command (if equipped with windshear escape guidance), and leave the configuration alone.  Once you are positive you are clear of the shear, with acceptable performance you clean the airplane up.

It looks like they went around because of a predictive windshear warning, the radar and computer see possible windshear ahead, not a reactive windshear warning.  That should be a normal go around, not an escape maneuver.  But like vne noted, the captain appears a little amped up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The established windshear escape procedure (at least in every transport category airplane I've ever flown) is to apply maximum power, pitch to 15 degrees or flight director command (if equipped with windshear escape guidance), and leave the configuration alone.  Once you are positive you are clear of the shear, with acceptable performance you clean the airplane up.

It looks like they went around because of a predictive windshear warning, the radar and computer see possible windshear ahead, not a reactive windshear warning.  That should be a normal go around, not an escape maneuver.  But like vne noted, the captain appears a little amped up.
View Quote
I don't think he really wanted to make that approach to start with... which means he shouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think he really wanted to make that approach to start with... which means he shouldn't.
View Quote
That's kinda what I was getting at in the OP.  Looking at the radar, I wouldn't be poking my nose in that stuff to start with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't the 737NG have a HUD for the Captain?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Doesn't the 737NG have a HUD for the Captain?
View Quote
Not all have it, and besides, only about 50% like it to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Macho pilots.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It looks like they went around because of a predictive windshear warning, the radar and computer see possible windshear ahead, not a reactive windshear warning.  That should be a normal go around, not an escape maneuver.  
View Quote
This...  He might have been max power and climb rate by the time he actually hit the windshear condition.  And the windshear might not have been that bad but was detected by the aircraft systems...

And you can see his VSI on the right side of his ADI.  It never goes very low, -500 FPM and then pegs at +2000 FPM (that's as far as the line goes but the digital read out goes much higher).
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Is that hail right at 1 minute ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Wipers are out of sync.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is that hail right at 1 minute ?
View Quote
Sounds like it could be, or really, really big rain drops.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's kinda what I was getting at in the OP. Looking at the radar, I wouldn't be poking my nose in that stuff to start with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda what I was getting at in the OP. Looking at the radar, I wouldn't be poking my nose in that stuff to start with.
Same here, I was just assuming the guy wanted an adrenaline rush.... Perhaps there was some other reason he went through that. I can't imagine what it would be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Same here, I was just assuming the guy wanted an adrenaline rush.... Perhaps there was some other reason he went through that. I can't imagine what it would be.
View Quote
I'll stick with hot date, as the only valid reason to do that.

Thread drift, you in MSN?  My home town, learned to fly there way back in the dark ages.  Beat up the pattern for many hours as a CFI, back when the runways were 4/22 and 13/31.  Been a very long time since I've been back, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top