Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd love how we use the spoilers. The VSI on my iPad said 11,350 fmp the other day.

The lear 24 I flew could do that going up

In the Challenger  I can go down or I can slow down but I can't do both without the flight spoilers.  They are incremental so you can deploy them and keep things smooth

BTW Pilatuspilot  I know who Arthur-Q is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd love how we use the spoilers. The VSI on my iPad said 11,350 fmp the other day.

The lear 24 I flew could do that going up

In the Challenger  I can go down or I can slow down but I can't do both without the flight spoilers.  They are incremental so you can deploy them and keep things smooth

BTW Pilatuspilot  I know who Arthur-Q is.
View Quote
I took a light Encore+ from sea level to north of 10,000 in a minute on a cool day. It would only do that cool and light.

No Lear time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I took a light Encore+ from sea level to north of 10,000 in a minute on a cool day. It would only do that cool and light.

No Lear time.
View Quote
A long time ago I got some time in a Lear 28.  25 with a 55 wing.  We took off out of IND, unrestricted climb to 370.  Made a turn basically downwind, and were level midfield at 370.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A long time ago I got some time in a Lear 28.  25 with a 55 wing.  We took off out of IND, unrestricted climb to 370.  Made a turn basically downwind, and were level midfield at 370.  
View Quote

They only made a very few of those...like 2 or 5 or something.  Bet it was a beast, that is a nice flying wing.  The 24 did it with brute force, 6,000lbs thrust, 6500lbs bew
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Lear time.
I didn't know Lear made F-16s!

That would have been an awesome ride!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet the range was 1.5 hours....if that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or in the B-52 where they don't have ailerons in the first place.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, and this really doesn't apply to this discussion, the one example I can give that spoiler use is automated is the C-17. They're automated into the primary flight controls to provide roll control with the ailerons.
Just like a MU-2
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
No matter what you do with the throttle a clean airplane will speed up if you nose down.

No Drag, and nose down means you won't be on the numbers for your approach.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bet the range was 1.5 hours....if that.
View Quote
It's been a long time, but I seem to remember it was something like 2:45 from start, till the fires went out.  It had a trunk tank, and you had to stay on top of the fuel transfer.  Or you could find yourself in a position where it wouldn't transfer fuel as fast as you were burning it.  

I'm pretty sure the one I flew was SN #19.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Lear time.
I have been level at 400 at the end of the runway
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These days I fly a very updated albeit very antique Falcon 20. It will definitely pop your ears if you pull the throttles back too far. The air brakes are perforated like a citation and also only have open and close positions. Back in the citations I would haul as much ass as a citation could then use the spoilers to slow to configure. The owner liked that. My new owner hates rapid throttle movements and the brakes. That's sometimes a problem in the Falcon trying to meet crossing restrictions. It's a slick plane and going down while slowing down is what the brakes were put there for. He'll just bitch when we unload the bags.
View Quote
Garrett or GE powered?

The GE powered ones required lots of air brake use in icing conditions.  Ours were also really bad about losing the cabin when you'd pull the power back too far.  Of course the big poorly sealed hole in the side of the plane (cargo door) probably didn't help much. they were some old planes, most of them were built in the mid sixties.

And I too know who Arthur Q is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lear 28 was one I always wanted to fly.  Only flew the tip-tanked Lears though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Garrett or GE powered?

The GE powered ones required lots of air brake use in icing conditions.  Ours were also really bad about losing the cabin when you'd pull the power back too far.  Of course the big poorly sealed hole in the side of the plane (cargo door) probably didn't help much. they were some old planes, most of them were built in the mid sixties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These days I fly a very updated albeit very antique Falcon 20. It will definitely pop your ears if you pull the throttles back too far. The air brakes are perforated like a citation and also only have open and close positions. Back in the citations I would haul as much ass as a citation could then use the spoilers to slow to configure. The owner liked that. My new owner hates rapid throttle movements and the brakes. That's sometimes a problem in the Falcon trying to meet crossing restrictions. It's a slick plane and going down while slowing down is what the brakes were put there for. He'll just bitch when we unload the bags.
Garrett or GE powered?

Garrett.

Probably the nicest and most updated 20F flying. Proline 4 and all. Lol  Still pops ears if you pull the throttles back too quick at altitude. It's an antique for sure but it makes quick work of the islands.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
As a tangent to the statement that "spoilers are never automatic", I'll add that on the L1011, in certain configurations (i.e., approach), descent rate was controlled by spoilers.  That is, to say, when the yoke was pushed (gently) forward, the deck angle didn't change and the elevator didn't change, the spoilers deployed.  This was a Lockheed (sp?) thing and made my sim evaluation at World Airways a bit of a WTF moment.  High on the slope on a raw data ILS, shove the yoke forward...no pitch change.  Strange to say the least.  The sim guy had flown the L10 for many, many years leaned forward at that moment and said "Thats normal, continue".  

The L1011, strange bird, WAY ahead of its time, never realized it's full potential, HUGE cockpit.

Damn, I miss flight spoilers

ka
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ring back to him and say "hold onto your scotch,here come the boards"
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a tangent to the statement that "spoilers are never automatic", I'll add that on the L1011, in certain configurations (i.e., approach), descent rate was controlled by spoilers.  That is, to say, when the yoke was pushed (gently) forward, the deck angle didn't change and the elevator didn't change, the spoilers deployed.  This was a Lockheed (sp?) thing and made my sim evaluation at World Airways a bit of a WTF moment.  High on the slope on a raw data ILS, shove the yoke forward...no pitch change.  Strange to say the least.  The sim guy had flown the L10 for many, many years leaned forward at that moment and said "Thats normal, continue".  

The L1011, strange bird, WAY ahead of its time, never realized it's full potential, HUGE cockpit.

ka
View Quote
DLC, Dynamic Lift Control.

Enter the flare 7 miles out, hold it to touchdown.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ka

Direct.  Not dynamic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Direct.  Not dynamic.
View Quote

Eh, you're right.

16 years since I last saw the bird.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
for a couple months when I was a freight dog based at Love we had an L-1011 on our ramp while it was getting prepped to go to some third world country. I would show up to work early to hang out with the ferry captain and have him show me all over that plane while it went through that inspection. He explained the DLC approaches and all. They've always been my favorite wide body. That sealed it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just like a MU-2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, and this really doesn't apply to this discussion, the one example I can give that spoiler use is automated is the C-17. They're automated into the primary flight controls to provide roll control with the ailerons.
Just like a MU-2
Or a Beechjet/MU-300
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top