Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 9:22:59 AM EDT
Look at the skid marks from the first one!

F/A-18 Hornets - 30-40 knot Cross Wind Take-Off
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
wow

there she blows
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeesh. No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, that must have been "fun."
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Those idiots at the fence line are primed for a face full of gravel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like #2 planned ahead for it a little more. I would've thought 30kts would be a non-event for a fighter. It looked a touch gusty too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like #2 planned ahead for it a little more. I would've thought 30kts would be a non-event for a fighter. It looked a touch gusty too.
View Quote
#2 was on the ball. #1 needed to go back to school (or maybe was in school? D model two seater)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn! Better them than me!

I hate cross-winds; Friday was 15G22, 60* off

16 knot x-wind component in a 172 and it sucked.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn! Better them than me!

I hate cross-winds; Friday was 15G22, 60* off

16 knot x-wind component in a 172 and it sucked.
View Quote
Lubbock international airport and this very reason in a 172 is why I quite taking lessons. Constant gusting crosswinds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very little crosswind when landing on a carrier, since the ship alters course to avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Very little crosswind when landing on a carrier, since the ship alters course to avoid it.
View Quote
I figured as much, but I mean, those are fighters. Do they lack the control authority on the takeoff roll to track straight down the runway in a 30kt crosswind? From watching the video, you see there are people standing between their car doors that are into the wind and not fighting them, which makes me suspect that the winds were much lower than 30kts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
#2 was on the ball. #1 needed to go back to school (or maybe was in school? D model two seater)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lead lined up in his half just as he should. After plugging in the blower and rolling away from #2 he headed for the centerline and tracked it till lift off.

#2 lined up close to the centerline and pretty much tracked a straight line to lift off.

All seemed to be good judgement ops for the conditions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Were the skidmarks in #1 underwear longer?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, lead should have insisted on taking the downwind side and then used a slight angle of the runway to reduce the crosswind component. But that's just me talking after 43 years of flying. Control authority is not an issue with any fighter, it's Vmcg that is an issue, sliding off the side of the runway if you loose the down wind engine during the initial 0-75/90 knots of acceleration. I saw F-16's routinely take off at Bagram AFB with the crosswinds over 30kts and gusting to 45kts that shut down everyone else, including my MC-12.

They were both two seat versions, Australian.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Crosswind take offs never bothered me. Landings well...........
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those weren't USN/USMC Hornets, they were Australian.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, #2 got to watch #1 and say "Whoa that looked rowdy, I think I'll try something different "
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To be fair, #2 got to watch #1 and say "Whoa that looked rowdy, I think I'll try something different "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly what I was thinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top