User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, sorry, no.  I can see how you'd think that.  I wasn't the plane on the runway.  It was someone else landing in front of the jet.  I was holding short.
View Quote
Oh joy! I'm glad I learned at an uncontrolled airport!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh joy! I'm glad I learned at an uncontrolled airport!
View Quote
Which airport around Madison was that? I've flown into Middleton a few times. Usually Madison though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a mental thought.  That plane is much harder to slow down than a trike.  And I'm really not a fan of the landing gear warning.  Descending from 5500 to 2500(tpa) I had the prop full forward and throttle all the way back. I was screaming down and the horn was just blaring the whole time.  

Is there a way to avoid that? Descend with power instead??. I can see how you'd start to ignore the horn after a while.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a mental thought.  That plane is much harder to slow down than a trike.  And I'm really not a fan of the landing gear warning.  Descending from 5500 to 2500(tpa) I had the prop full forward and throttle all the way back. I was screaming down and the horn was just blaring the whole time.  

Is there a way to avoid that? Descend with power instead??. I can see how you'd start to ignore the horn after a while.
View Quote
One way to slow down is to lower the gear.  Also, when you start flying more high performance airplane you can't just cut the power to descend because you'll shock cool the engine.  You learn to milk the power off a few inches at a time and better plan your descents so you can scream down (makes up for the time you lost in the climb) yet get down far enough in advance to slow down.  After awhile, you'll be able to descend without the horn going off.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, today was interesting....

Started off with a short field take off followed by a soft field touch and go.  Everything good so far.  On downwind, I hit the gear extension lever.  See the gear come out.  Hmm.  No green light.  I pull out the checklist.  I hear tower clearing me for T&G, and asking if I have the traffic in sight.  I didn't respond.  CFI and I decide we're going to have to leave the pattern to work the problem as we're now abeam the numbers.  I call tower and tell them I need to leave the pattern and depart.  She asks if I need assistance.  I told her not at this time.  We ran through the checklist, the light was good (I pressed in on it) but no matter what, we couldn't get a green light showing locked.  All gear appeared to be down, but...  So, I decided to do a manual extension.  Pulled the breaker, moved the lever to down, and started pumping.  Took 24 pumps, but the green light came on.  So, something was definitely not correct in the gear system.  

We were first thinking maybe the microswitch was bad or something, but if the green came on with the manual extension, nope.  The hydraulic system just didn't have enough power to lock the gear.  

Called back and got back in the pattern.  Made a very nice landing.  Made the very first exit off the runway (the reverse high speed exit!) CFI says, "Well, I guess we can consider you checked out in complex aircraft now..."  Signed me off and now I'm endorsed.  That was my first in-air incident where I had to actually follow the emergency procedures.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ksdl/KSDL2-Twr-May-04-2017-1300Z.mp3

Starts 17 minutes in.  No big deal on the ATC, just interesting to hear my own voice and hear that I didn't sound 'freaked out' or anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, good for you. Now fly something fun that is complex, like an Arrow. One that has a bit better of a landing gear system
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Ha!  That girl has it bad.

ATC:  Cessna XXX, make left closed traffic.
Pilot:  We've already turned right.
ATC:  Cessna XXX, that's fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ha!  That girl has it bad.

ATC:  Cessna XXX, make left closed traffic.
Pilot:  We've already turned right.
ATC:  Cessna XXX, that's fine.
View Quote
Have you not seen my other posts on her antics? It's always interesting when she's in the tower
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which airport around Madison was that? I've flown into Middleton a few times. Usually Madison though.
View Quote
I learned at C29. Morey Airport in Middleton. It was a great program.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top