Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
(172 R/S) There's a little door about the size of a 2x4 on the left side of the airplane right where the engine cowl meets the firewall, located close to the grab handle.  What is it, and what is it for?
(172 R/S) You move the elevator up and the trim tab moves down without moving the trim wheel.  You move the elevator down and the trim tab moves up without moving the trim wheel.  What does this do?

You pass your checkride and you fly with an instructor for the purposes of a rental checkout in a singe engine piston airplane.  You fly the airplane the entire time for a total of one hour.  How do you log this flight time?

You pass your checkride and you fly with a friend in his single engine airplane that has 250 hp, flaps, a controllable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear but weighs less than 12,500 pounds and is not turbojet powered.  Your friend states that he is PIC but lets you fly an entire leg of the trip while he works the radios.  How do you log this flight time?  

You pass your checkride tomorrow, can you legally act as PIC of a Cessna Caravan?  The caravan has a maximum takeoff weight of 8,000 lbs and is turbopropeller powered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You're just touched down, and rolling out, when suddenly the nose wheel starts to shimmy violently.  What do you do?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
(172 R/S) There's a little door about the size of a 2x4 on the left side of the airplane right where the engine cowl meets the firewall, located close to the grab handle.  What is it, and what is it for?

shore power

(172 R/S) You move the elevator up and the trim tab moves down without moving the trim wheel.  You move the elevator down and the trim tab moves up without moving the trim wheel.  What does this do?

I have no idea

You pass your checkride and you fly with an instructor for the purposes of a rental checkout in a singe engine piston airplane.  You fly the airplane the entire time for a total of one hour.  How do you log this flight time?

PIC

You pass your checkride and you fly with a friend in his single engine airplane that has 250 hp, flaps, a controllable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear but weighs less than 12,500 pounds and is not turbojet powered.  Your friend states that he is PIC but lets you fly an entire leg of the trip while he works the radios.  How do you log this flight time?  

on that I'm not sure.  You're the sole manipulator if the controls, but you don't have an endorsement and you're not a required crew member.  I think you can log SIC, but im not really sure.  Have to look it up.

You pass your checkride tomorrow, can you legally act as PIC of a Cessna Caravan?  The caravan has a maximum takeoff weight of 8,000 lbs and is turbopropeller powered.

no.  I don't have a complex/high performance endorsement
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're just touched down, and rolling out, when suddenly the nose wheel starts to shimmy violently.  What do you do?
View Quote

I would not touch the brakes.  Leave the flaps down.  Add some back pressure to the yoke to keep the nose as light as possible for as long as possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The answer they're looking for us "the horizontal component of lift". Doesn't matter what flight control you use, the horizontal component of lift is what turns it. This leads directly into the second question.

"Then what is the rudder for?"
View Quote

To make up for errors of the aeronautical engineer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

shore power

I have no idea

The trim tab moves in a manner that assists you on the controls (if you apply full up elevator, the trim tab moves down, helping you) and this is generally referred to as a "servo tab."  A tab that does the opposite (makes the controls heavier as you get to the edge) is an "antiservo tab."  Cessna doesn't come out and straight up call it a "servo tab" but they say something like "the tab moves opposite the elevator to help keep control inputs" or something like that.

PIC

on that I'm not sure.  You're the sole manipulator if the controls, but you don't have an endorsement and you're not a required crew member.  I think you can log SIC, but im not really sure.  Have to look it up.

Endorsements do not matter, you can log PIC any time you are sole manipulator of the flight controls of an aircraft  you are rated in, meaning category, class and type (if applicable.)  The only time you'll really be logging SIC in a single pilot aircraft is if  you are a safety pilot, in which case you are a required crew member (safety pilot is required by regulations)

View Quote

You seem very well read, I think you'll do just fine.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shore power

I have no idea

PIC

I'm not trying to keep you from finding the answer yourself, but if you aren't familiar with legal interpretations, they're not a bad thing to scan every now and then.  This is a good one for these questions.

Legal Interpretation

Also, rethink the last one.  Does a Caravan fit the definition of complex?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would not touch the brakes.  Leave the flaps down.  Add some back pressure to the yoke to keep the nose as light as possible for as long as possible.
View Quote

Zakly.  Have you experienced it yet?  Do you know what causes it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to keep you from finding the answer yourself, but if you aren't familiar with legal interpretations, they're not a bad thing to scan every now and then.  This is a good one for these questions.

Legal Interpretation

View Quote

OK, at least I'm not the only person that couldn't figure out when/how to log PIC time.  

I don't know enough about a Caravan to know if it's complex.  I don't really know how turboprops work.  But I DO know it's over 200hp, which requires a High Performance endorsement.  I thought that High Performance and Complex were the 'same' rating.  

After further reading, I see that they're not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, and no.

But I would guess it would be caused by a broken/worn out shimmy damper or loose attachment points of the nose gear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:38:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, and no.

But I would guess it would be caused by a broken/worn out shimmy damper or loose attachment points of the nose gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, and no.

Nope, it's caused by the little wheel being on the wrong end of the airplane.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OK, at least I'm not the only person that couldn't figure out when/how to log PIC time.  

I don't know enough about a Caravan to know if it's complex.  I don't really know how turboprops work.  But I DO know it's over 200hp, which requires a High Performance endorsement.  I thought that High Performance and Complex were the 'same' rating.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legal Interpretation

The turboprop is irrelevant with regards to complex.  A Caravan has a fixed gear so it is not complex.  This could be a trick question.  If the Caravan has floats then it does meet the definition of complex.  See definition of complex airplane in 61.1.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The turboprop is irrelevant with regards to complex.  A Caravan has a fixed gear so it is not complex.  This could be a trick question.  If the Caravan has floats then it does meet the definition of complex.  See definition of complex airplane in 61.1.
View Quote

Not just landing gear, but a controllable prop.  Do turboprops have controllable propellers?  Or did I misunderstand and it has to have both?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not just landing gear, but a controllable prop.  Do turboprops have controllable propellers?  Or did I misunderstand and it has to have both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any turboprops that don't have constant speed prop. I know the Caravan does (or at least every one I've ever seen does).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not aware of any turboprops that don't have constant speed prop. I know the Caravan does (or at least every one I've ever seen does).
View Quote

Then you would need a complex endorsement, correct?  Or is that is has to have BOTH a constant speed prop AND retractable gear AND flaps?

Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller That's from 61.1

So, if you have a plane with retracts, controllable prop, and for some reason it does not have flaps, you could fly it without a complex endorsement?  Am I reading that right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then you would need a complex endorsement, correct?  Or is that is has to have BOTH a constant speed prop AND retractable gear AND flaps?

Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller That's from 61.1

So, if you have a plane with retracts, controllable prop, and for some reason it does not have flaps, you could fly it without a complex endorsement?  Am I reading that right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is my understand that you have to have all three for an airplane to be complex (assuming land).  Otherwise a 172 would be complex because it has flaps.  A Cirrus is a good example too.  They have fixed gears, flaps, and a constant speed prop so they do not require a complex endorsement.  If a Cirrus had floats, it would be complex because it has a constant speed prop and flaps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is my understand that you have to have all three for an airplane to be complex (assuming land).  Otherwise a 172 would be complex because it has flaps.  A Cirrus is a good example too.  They have fixed gears, flaps, and a constant speed prop so they do not require a complex endorsement.  If a Cirrus had floats, it would be complex because it has a constant speed prop and flaps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if the floats were amphibian floats; straight floats are the same as fixed gear.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only if the floats were amphibian floats; straight floats are the same as fixed gear.
View Quote

61.31e

(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), unless the person has--

Seaplanes need only flaps and a controllable pitch propeller to be considered complex.

Per the letter of the law, a fixed pitch 172 on amphib floats would not require a complex endorsement.

I'm on mobile so research is difficult but as I recall this is how amphib LSAs exist - a LSA can't have retractable gear unless it's an amphib.  

Sorry to tear up your thread, OP
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the difference between amphibian floats and straight floats?  I don't know much about sea plane stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's the difference between amphibian floats and straight floats?  I don't know much about sea plane stuff.
View Quote

Amphib floats (or amphibious flying boats like the lake amphibian) have built in retractable landing gear.

Straight floats are just a float, no wheels.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Amphib floats (or amphibious flying boats like the lake amphibian) have built in retractable landing gear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys for putting in all the effort asking me questions and giving me tips.

Checkride passed today!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats!  Welcome to a new way to spend your money...
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for putting in all the effort asking me questions and giving me tips.

Checkride passed today!!
View Quote

Congrats

Who's your first passenger going to be?  Mine was my brother...
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Congrats

Who's your first passenger going to be?  Mine was my brother...
View Quote

Took my wife and 2 of my kids from KSDL to KSEZ today!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Checkride passed today!!
View Quote

Congratulations!!! Now, go enjoy, and get ready for Instrument rating.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Congrats OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found this thread and was going to remind you to remove the chocks before you tried to start the plane. Just sayin`.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Congrats OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found this thread and was going to remind you to remove the chocks before you tried to start the plane. Just sayin`.
View Quote

And don't forget to undo the tail tiedown, either.  Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Checkride passed today!!
View Quote

Congrats! Have some fun then get your instrument ticket ;)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top