Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 11:21:49 AM EDT
Not my usual genre, but I'll probably see it.

Sully

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tbkbx4Hz8Q[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
For sure. When does that premiere?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Projected release September 2016.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to see it
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll watch it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure it'll be entertaining.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I know if someone asked if I had personal problems after I dead stick in a transport category airplane, I'd tell him he's going to look funny trying to eat corn on the cob with no fucking teeth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know if someone asked if I had personal problems after I dead stick in a transport category airplane, I'd tell him he's going to look funny trying to eat corn on the cob with no fucking teeth.
View Quote

I didn't realize that he caught flack for his landing...........if true, what a bunch of second guessing schmucks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't realize that he caught flack for his landing...........if true, what a bunch of second guessing schmucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the nature of the game.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
"One way of looking at this might be that for 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education and training. And on January 15 the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal."

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"One way of looking at this might be that for 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education and training. And on January 15 the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal."

View Quote

damn, that is lyrical.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess what bothers me is the claim that Sully could have turned around in the air and made it back to the field. It was impressed upon me in the Navy flight school that that was a big time no-no. I'm sure if he had turned around he would have landed short in the middle of Queens and killed a bunch of folks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess what bothers me is the claim that Sully could have turned around in the air and made it back to the field. It was impressed upon me in the Navy flight school that that was a big time no-no. I'm sure if he had turned around he would have landed short in the middle of Queens and killed a bunch of folks.
View Quote

I would guess that much of the second-guessing in the movie is designed for dramatic tension, and is justified by poetic license.

That said, Sully was lucky and good. Most people who survive crashes that aren't their fault are usually only one or the other.

Thus, there is plenty of grey space for the MMQB Brigade to explore.

Add to the this fact that most pilots involved in serious crashes AREN'T there to defend themselves, will always make the pilots the prime target of blame in all but the most egregious cases of mechanical failure or outside insult.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

damn, that is lyrical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn, that is lyrical.

It also represents a model of aviation that is being hunted to extinction on multiple fronts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Heard from old line pilots, QB's when it happened that perhaps if they had their heads outside the cockpit
they could of avoided the birds?

Have no idea, just putting it out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would guess that much of the second-guessing in the movie is designed for dramatic tension, and is justified by poetic license.

That said, Sully was lucky and good. Most people who survive crashes that aren't their fault are usually only one or the other.

Add to the this fact that most pilots involved in serious crashes AREN'T there to defend themselves, will always make the pilots the prime target of blame in all but the most egregious cases of mechanical failure or outside insult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for luck, I think Louis CK said it best in how he described it. I can't find the clip, but he's talking about how it was a miracle and how it was in God's hands that everybody survived. "Would you give the guy some credit!? God didn't save the airplane, the pilot did. ...... God threw the geese into the engines."
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heard from old line pilots, QB's when it happened that perhaps if they had their heads outside the cockpit

View Quote
Nahhh, birds are everywhere. they will go thru a GA's aircraft's windshield ending up in the back seat
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crap happens, we have been hitting birds long before glass cockpits and autopilot.  From my little experience in that airplane, that phase of flight the pilot is actually at the controls and likely heads out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Any HR hired new guy could do it  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends. If the B1-RDs were higher they for whatever reason tend to dive from something I read years ago.. Ive never read if the flock was higher than the aircraft, but I'm sure like always, it is last second before you see them depending on atmospheric conditions if you see them at all.  Try seeing them at night. I hit what I would guess was a Canadian goose at 1am, thankfully I only hit 1. It smashed the fuck out of the caravan wing outboard of the radar radome. I would guess I just missed a bunch more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wanna know how much time I had to react when I had my two major bird strikes? Zero!

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any HR hired new guy could do it  
View Quote
Do you like my "big" pilot watch?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wanna know how much time I had to react when I had my two major bird strikes? Zero!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profile descent into LAX 14,000' 350KIAS looking straight out the windshield.....BOOM...blood, guts etc. Never saw the bird, just the splat.

Takeoff roll HOU RW 22 125KIAS flock of birds in left engine...KA-BOOM....ABORT

ILS final DAL RW31L at night .....BOOM, SPLAT, BOOM, BOOM. Goose co-pilots windshield. Goose right engine. Mega stank in A/C.

Low levels in C-130 results in bird strikes all the time.

In my younger days doing AG flying I had a swarm/flock of small birds flush out of the cotton field right in front of me. The Super Cub had both cowl inlets filled with smoldering bird carcasses roasting against the hot cylinders. Burnt feathers and guts were coming out the cowl outlets on both sides. All the leading edges were splattered with blood and guts. The windshield was covered. Bird entrails were flapping in the slipstream from the struts and tail wires. The field I was flying had a landing strip right next to it so I was able to land immediately. I would not have been able to fly any distance before the engine would have severely over heated.

Those helium filled party balloons are another thing that will make you soil your britches at 350 KIAS when one instantly fills the windshield.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Geese are known to dive on aircraft flying below as a defensive measure. It's been said that you should not fly underneath a flock. Birds also look for lift. If there's bird activity and there are clouds with flat bottoms, pass where it is sunny as the birds frequently circle under the cloud bases for the extra lift (likewise, if you're at altitude and want to gain a little extra speed, fly under the cloud bases as you can pull a little additional speed by flying through the rising air).

I've had a hawk pass between my prop and wing root. Balloons, especially those metallic ones when they catch a glimmer of sunlight will scare the shit out of you. One of the most dangerous things I ever did in a car happened when driving down the Interstate I see a balloon at eye level just sitting over the road -- probably had one of those weighted things on it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anybody else ever know eagles to be aggressive?  I was flying just north of Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago and an eagle just came right at me.  At first I thought it was a small plane far away because it never flapped it wings.  Luckily, we went left and it went right so no strike.  I'd never seen an eagle that close.  Those are huge birds!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has anybody else ever know eagles to be aggressive?  I was flying just north of Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago and an eagle just came right at me.  At first I thought it was a small plane far away because it never flapped it wings.  Luckily, we went left and it went right so no strike.  I'd never seen an eagle that close.  Those are huge birds!
View Quote

They'll fly closer to me to check me out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I know two different people who have hit bald eagles in Alaska.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It also represents a model of aviation that is being hunted to extinction on multiple fronts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn, that is lyrical.

Now that also is lyrical, and true.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Friend of mine told me a story about flying gliders in Germany as a teenager and had Eagles form up with him on each wing. I believe someone here posted a story about flying a C130 and having a Hawk look back at them with a "Fuck you, I'm not moving" look.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones around DC think they own the place.  They expect you to get out of the way!
Fortunately, they are usually big enough to see a decent way away.  Sparrows on the other hand, I've had a couple of them explode on the windscreen before I knew what was happening.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The ones around DC think they own the place.  They expect you to get out of the way!
Fortunately, they are usually big enough to see a decent way away.  Sparrows on the other hand, I've had a couple of them explode on the windscreen before I knew what was happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eagles in SE AK will dive at you talons out, wings back they're so territorial. I've had many a near-miss with them. Beautiful birds when I'm on the ground, assholes in the air. I don't think they could have done anything to miss the birds besides not take off.

I do remember FSI instructors talking about the incident years ago saying that around 50% of those who turned back in the sim made the runway. Sully made the right call.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Eagles in SE AK will dive at you talons out, wings back they're so territorial. I've had many a near-miss with them. Beautiful birds when I'm on the ground, assholes in the air. I don't think they could have done anything to miss the birds besides not take off.

I do remember FSI instructors talking about the incident years ago saying that around 50% of those who turned back in the sim made the runway. Sully made the right call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never hit one, but a bald Eagle was part of the single coolest thing I've seen in an airplane.  Way back when (early 80's)  I started flying gliders.  I made several flights in a Blanik L-13.  One of my first few flights, we had just entered a thermal in a left turn, with the instructor flying.  Off the right wing, I noticed a Bald eagle, flying a nice finger formation, right off the wing.  BIG bird!  It stayed with us for 180 degrees of turn or so, looking us over the whole way.  Then it broke right, and was gone.  Totally cool to this then 14 year old pilot wannabe.  How I wish I'd had a camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top