Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:37:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really. While the rules aren't finished, the exam you will have to get from your PMD will be much more invasive than the third class medical. What you will have to carry with you as proof of compliance may be burdensome. For example your PMD will have to certify that he inspected your starfish.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really. While the rules aren't finished, the exam you will have to get from your PMD will be much more invasive than the third class medical. What you will have to carry with you as proof of compliance may be burdensome. For example your PMD will have to certify that he inspected your starfish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do people say this?  Never mind, that's rhetorical.  The reason is that they never read the full guide for AMEs to begin with.  Here's what I posted in the other thread:
Quoted:
Not really sure why some people are up in arms about this.  

The only "extra" thing you will have to do is take the online course every two years.  Do it when you do your flight review, is it really going to add that much headache?

You can go to a family doctor, or go to an AME.  Unless the AME you usually go to is going out of business, they will probably still be able to take care of you, even if it doesn't result in a regular medical.

There are no new items on the exam, in fact the text of the bill is EXACTLY the same as called out in the "guide for aviation medical examiners."  It stands to reason that the FAA will simply transpose this information into the new regs considering it's already written.

Don't believe me?  See the  AME guide here:  https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/

Read the text of the bill here:  https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/636/text#toc-H04F79505CBE84ADABBEB9BA55380AF26

And of course there is nothing stopping you from seeing an AME for a regular class 3/2/1 medical.

Here's my takeaway if you are a general aviation pilot that intends to operate within the parameters set forth in the re-authorization act:

If you are under age 40 and are healthy and don't have to worry about special issuance, get a third class medical because it's good for 5 years.
If you are ANY age and have to worry about SI, this will likely be of great help to you.
If you are over age 40 and are healthy, it's probably a wash (valid for two years either way) HOWEVER from what I have been reading it will result in a more streamlined certification process for pilots in this age group.  IOW, these folks will get to breathe a little bit easier and get treated more "normally" and not have to worry as much about going to the doctor.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
WATCH YOUR CRONHOLE, BUDDY.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The big win is this:  You can't lose your medical! (unless heart, neurological, psychiatric),  If your doc won't sign it fix what is broke and get them to or  find one that will. No more once failed always failed.

Speaking personally I have avoided going to the doctor at times because I don't want to deal with the reporting and possible other FAA crap.  This well get pilots getting better health care.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am trying to see how this is going to play into my ADD diagnosis.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is if you have never had a 3rd class you still need to get one.  There in lies the rub.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The problem is if you have never had a 3rd class you still need to get one.  There in lies the rub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct.  If you've never held a medical, you will need to get one.

Right now, your only option without the 3rd class is sport pilot, BUT that is kinda on shaky ground.

If you want your private (or recreational) pilot certificate, you're going to need to go through the process to get a third class medical.  Your best bet is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien and go from there.  Do not BS him, he will help you.  Don't do a single thing unless he tells you to. In fact, if I were in your shoes I would spend the $ to go to him for the exam (fly commercial to Illinois if need be, he operates out of the KPIA terminal part time)

It's likely that he will tell you to have the assessment done first.  Prepare to spend several thousand on that... BUT the good news is (and I may be wrong) but I'm pretty sure if you "pass" the test it's (for lack of a better description) disproving the ADD diagnosis, so you aren't in special issuance territory any longer and have a regular medical.  Either way, with the new regulations you are in the clear and that burden is lifted off your shoulders.  

The problem with the sport pilot route is that TECHNICALLY under 61.53 you're prohibited from operating with a medical deficiency, even if you don't need a medical (sport, glider, balloon) so depending on the circumstances, someone COULD make an issue with it.  I don't know your history, don't care and don't expect you discuss it publicly, but I'd imagine that the circumstances would dictate everything - some kid who was fed ritalin as a 9 year old that "grew out of it" may have a different alibi than someone that took ADD medications well into adulthood and only stopped to fly.  

So the other option here is to evaluate (again, Dr. Chein) your situation and see what he thinks about the sport pilot option for YOU.  If it is, you could potentially earn a sport pilot certificate, then wait it out to see what happens with the private pilot medical options.  Remember, it took 12 years to go from sport pilot to where we are now  - how long, IF it ever happens, will it take to go to driver's license medical style regs for private pilots?  A year?  10 years?  Never?  And remember, as it stands now if you apply for and fail a medical you're done.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Right now, your only option without the 3rd class is sport pilot, BUT that is kinda on shaky ground.

If you want your private (or recreational) pilot certificate, you're going to need to go through the process to get a third class medical.  Your best bet is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien and go from there.  Do not BS him, he will help you.  Don't do a single thing unless he tells you to. In fact, if I were in your shoes I would spend the $ to go to him for the exam (fly commercial to Illinois if need be, he operates out of the KPIA terminal part time)

It's likely that he will tell you to have the assessment done first.  Prepare to spend several thousand on that... BUT the good news is (and I may be wrong) but I'm pretty sure if you "pass" the test it's (for lack of a better description) disproving the ADD diagnosis, so you aren't in special issuance territory any longer and have a regular medical.  Either way, with the new regulations you are in the clear and that burden is lifted off your shoulders.  

The problem with the sport pilot route is that TECHNICALLY under 61.53 you're prohibited from operating with a medical deficiency, even if you don't need a medical (sport, glider, balloon) so depending on the circumstances, someone COULD make an issue with it.  I don't know your history, don't care and don't expect you discuss it publicly, but I'd imagine that the circumstances would dictate everything - some kid who was fed ritalin as a 9 year old that "grew out of it" may have a different alibi than someone that took ADD medications well into adulthood and only stopped to fly.  

So the other option here is to evaluate (again, Dr. Chein) your situation and see what he thinks about the sport pilot option for YOU.  If it is, you could potentially earn a sport pilot certificate, then wait it out to see what happens with the private pilot medical options.  Remember, it took 12 years to go from sport pilot to where we are now  - how long, IF it ever happens, will it take to go to driver's license medical style regs for private pilots?  A year?  10 years?  Never?  And remember, as it stands now if you apply for and fail a medical you're done.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have retained Dr. Bruce for services and we are in the middle of all of this right now.

I have a few choices.

1. wait and see what happens with the new "4th class medical" regarding mental health.
2. pay $1800 to the Psych an hour away who is the guy all the local pilots use
or
3. pay $3000 to the HIMS Psych in Houston knowing I am going into with the best possible shot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top