Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 8:53:45 PM EDT
Strange. I'm assuming it was un-commanded.  It's...concerning that something like that could happen.  Presumably the only thing keeping the reverser stowed in flight was the squat switch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4S4OmA63w

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
pilot was showing off for camera man OP.    manual engine thrust steerage.

United 232 without the altitude

but yeah, holy shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
After the second time I'm shutting it down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you supposing it is uncommanded?   .
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
not un commanded if he took off again

it is not uncommon for it to show not stowed after landing

so we open it and close it and repeat  until we get a stowed indication.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
3800 hours in the DC9 as a Captain, but not the MD series of airplanes. Does not matter, they have the same reverse system. Looks to me like he had an erroneous indication of not stowed. Regardless, it could have been mechanically locked out and MEL'ed prior to departure, you don't need the reverseres for flight anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Older pilot, left his blinker on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting, didn't think of that.

Shame the equipment is in such a state that the pilots have to bang things open and closed like an old screen door to get them to work.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Shame the equipment is in such a state that the pilots have to bang things open and closed like an old screen door to get them to work.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  That isn't how it is, at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My money is in poor or "atypical" Captain technique.

Look how long he kept the buckets out on roll out.

Then left turns with the T/R deploy.

My money says the captain was "saving his brakes" and the f/o was rolling his eyes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My money is in poor or "atypical" Captain technique.

Look how long he kept the buckets out on roll out.

Then left turns with the T/R deploy.

My money says the captain was "saving his brakes" and the f/o was rolling his eyes.
View Quote

SOP

Habit patterns for an icy runway

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

takes more than a squat switch to deploy TR's

and I'm not sure why you would think that those are in a state of disrepair.  Guess what happens when the engine doesn't light off?  you try again.  Know how many gate calls I've gotten for that?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a 717 that had a thrust reverser deploy on takeoff from STL many years ago.....2001-2002 maybe?  It was about the same time when one had the engine fire on takeoff.  Will try to remember or find the details.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Fun video.  

https://youtu.be/7R0CViDUBFs

View Quote
Haha..good one.

I got my MD-80 type (yes I know DC-9) in September of last year.

Because of its many levers and knows and cranks, I call it the Russian Sub because it reminds me of a submarines control room.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I love old airplanes.  After pilot training, my first panel was a C-130E that hadn't changed much since the 60s.  When I first started flying it, I was humbled, but am a better pilot for it.  The simplicity of the old stuff was wonderful, especially since I could level my ADI during any phase of flight. 0VVI on approach?  Level it.  0VVI, dirty, door open on the run in?  Level it.  None of this "well, 2.7748 degrees is level right now...  so fly that."  NDB approaches were also easy on the old panel.  

However, I've never flown a true "glass" airplane and am no expert.  The closest was a Beech 400, and that was 1st gen glass.  I would love to fly an MD-80 before they are gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fun video.  

Haha..good one.

I got my MD-80 type (yes I know DC-9) in September of last year.

Because of its many levers and knows and cranks, I call it the Russian Sub because it reminds me of a submarines control room.

I love old airplanes.  After pilot training, my first panel was a C-130E that hadn't changed much since the 60s.  When I first started flying it, I was humbled, but am a better pilot for it.  The simplicity of the old stuff was wonderful, especially since I could level my ADI during any phase of flight. 0VVI on approach?  Level it.  0VVI, dirty, door open on the run in?  Level it.  None of this "well, 2.7748 degrees is level right now...  so fly that."  NDB approaches were also easy on the old panel.  

However, I've never flown a true "glass" airplane and am no expert.  The closest was a Beech 400, and that was 1st gen glass.  I would love to fly an MD-80 before they are gone.
Real glass is the good stuff.  The MD-80 makes you work and perfect your fundamentals.

Right now I'm on the 757 with the flat panel avionics, they replaced the old round dail instruments with a PFD and ND displays.

I love it, but since I stay current on both I get to see the benefits of both.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 8000 hours on the MD-82/83.  It grows on you, and I enjoyed my time on it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#18]
None of the jets I've ever flown had the ability to deploy a TR asymmetrically.

I would be floored to find out a passenger jet had that ability.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm confused....do you mean uncommanded deployment or pilot commanded?

Every jet I've flown is fully capable of deploying one TR independent of the other.  That includes Citations, CRJ, 737, Md80, 757/767.

Even the MEL allows dispatch with one TR inop/locked out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Er, What?    .       What jets have you flown?

They pretty much all do that.        Otherwise, how would you defer one?    

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
None of the lears or citations I've flown had ability.  

The only time I've seen a Lear be able to deploy one but not the other there was a series of faults from the pedestal to the tail. Both or none, not one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only time I've seen a Lear be able to deploy one but not the other there was a series of faults from the pedestal to the tail. Both or none, not one.
View Quote

Must be a weird Bill Lear thing?  

Which Citations?

Fwiw, normal jets have a thing that goes Up, and back.  They work independently.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

None of the Lears I flew were like that.  
I've flown 20 series with Dee Howards and they were totally independent.  
I've only flown 30 series with Aeroncas, and you could single engine reverse, but you could only do it at idle.  There was a solenoid that locked out the sub-throttles from being pulled above idle until both were deployed, but you could stil get idle reverse.
No experience with Dee Howards on a 30 though.

ETA spelling.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I know first hand that CRJ-200s, CRJ-900s, and 737s can deploy TR's asymmetrically.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've only flown 30 series with Aeroncas, and you could single engine reverse, but you could only do it at idle.  There was a solenoid that locked out the sub-throttles from being pulled above idle until both were deployed, but you could stil get idle reverse.

ETA spelling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA spelling.

Straight from the expanded normals on the LR-jet series and applies to both aeronca and Dee Howards. They are locked out in multiple places to prevent independent operation of the TRs. If you were flying a LR-jet that could deploy them independently something was bad wrong.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Like MACH said, it's not uncommon on the -82/83 for a reverser unlocked light to stay on after you stow the buckets.  Usually cycling the affected reverser a couple of times fixes the problem.

Quoted:
Real glass is the good stuff.  The MD-80 makes you work and perfect your fundamentals.

Right now I'm on the 757 with the flat panel avionics, they replaced the old round dail instruments with a PFD and ND displays.

View Quote

What are you doing that allows you to stay dual qualified, CKA, MTX test?  It's pretty rare these days, I think the only guys at my shop that qualify on multiple aircraft anymore are the MTX test pilots.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/jfcoggins/media/03639F29-75B3-49F2-8B3D-3CD0B2C3B999_zps3epmzggf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/jfcoggins/03639F29-75B3-49F2-8B3D-3CD0B2C3B999_zps3epmzggf.jpg</a>

Straight from the expanded normals on the LR-jet series and applies to both aeronca and Dee Howards. They are locked out in multiple places to prevent independent operation of the TRs. If you were flying a LR-jet that could deploy them independently something was bad wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA spelling.

<a href="http://s44.photobucket.com/user/jfcoggins/media/03639F29-75B3-49F2-8B3D-3CD0B2C3B999_zps3epmzggf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/jfcoggins/03639F29-75B3-49F2-8B3D-3CD0B2C3B999_zps3epmzggf.jpg</a>

Interesting.   Just as I suspected, it's some kind of weird, fucked up Lear thing.      Pretty silly on a centerline thrust jet.    

It's funny how you exptrapolated that, to assume that's how all aircraft would be.    Wouldn't be safe, otherwise.

Pretty much every normal aircraft deploys independantly, and it isn't unusual to pick up a plane with the TR lever safety wired on one side.    It's understood, that the pilots will show a bit of finesse in deploying the one good one.  

And this will really blow your mind:  Large Turboprops will also go into reverse independently.   It is helpful on an icy runway, but can get wiggly, if it happens inadvertently.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
It's been a long time since I flew a CE-500 but I don't remember them being able to deploy one TR but leave the other stowed.  That just seems like a dumbass idea to me begging to drag a newbie off the runway.  I don't have a CE-500 manual anymore so I can't back that up with anything.

Its been even longer since I flew a BE-200 and I don't remember them being able to enter reverse independently either.  That just doesn't seem like a good idea at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]
All of a sudden,  I'm hoping my 2 scheduled flights on 88s this year get switched.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It's been a long time since I flew a CE-500 but I don't remember them being able to deploy one TR but leave the other stowed.  That just seems like a dumbass idea to me begging to drag a newbie off the runway.  I don't have a CE-500 manual anymore so I can't back that up with anything.

Its been even longer since I flew a BE-200 and I don't remember them being able to enter reverse independently either.  That just doesn't seem like a good idea at all.
View Quote
I've flown the CE-550, 560, and 650. They all deploy independently. We would test that very thing on taxi out.
For turbo props I've flown the Beech 99, B-1900, and E-120 Brasilia, they all allow independent beta/reverse.

To be honest, you're the only person I've heard of that flies something that DOESN'T allow separate deployment.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Like MACH said, it's not uncommon on the -82/83 for a reverser unlocked light to stay on after you stow the buckets.  Usually cycling the affected reverser a couple of times fixes the problem.
What are you doing that allows you to stay dual qualified, CKA, MTX test?  It's pretty rare these days, I think the only guys at my shop that qualify on multiple aircraft anymore are the MTX test pilots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Part 142 operations.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA spelling.

Out of curiosity, which model Lear and autopilot is that for? And is that the Lear expanded normals or a training provider's?

I know the FC200 35/36s with Aeroncas that I flew could idle reverse on one engine.  The 20 series would work independently,  as can the A320 series.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
The FC200 35/36.

None of the nearly dozen different tail numbers in the LR-jet series I've flown could asymmetrically deploy the TRs. I asked two CAE instructors today because I was convinced due to the shear number of y'all saying it's how they work, that I was wrong. Turns out, I'm not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The FC200 35/36.

None of the nearly dozen different tail numbers in the LR-jet series I've flown could asymmetrically deploy the TRs. I asked two CAE instructors today because I was convinced due to the shear number of y'all saying it's how they work, that I was wrong. Turns out, I'm not.
View Quote

Interesting.

Well, I learned something today. I also know of 2 that will.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

LoL, you have no idea how funny that sounds to the rest of us.  

Lear apparently created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and they had you convinced this was a critical thing.  the ironic part is that the differential drag is nominal, on a centerline thrust jet.   it's a little more noticeable when you have big fans outboard on the wing. (But still manageable, if you are smooth)

Being able to operate them independently, in a crosswind, on an icy runway, is a very nice thing, - If you have finesse.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lear apparently created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and they had you convinced this was a critical thing.  the ironic part is that the differential drag is nominal, on a centerline thrust jet.   it's a little more noticeable when you have big fans outboard on the wing. (But still manageable, if you are smooth)

Being able to operate them independently, in a crosswind, on an icy runway, is a very nice thing, - If you have finesse.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...I'm actually a pretty good stick and would not have faired well flying in Alaska without finesse. I've used lots of asymmetric thrust for many phases of flight but deploying one TR doesn't seem like a good idea.  It's not any different than having anti-skid on only of the mains.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

they all do that

not only that but the 88 reversers are not matched by throttle settings.

They open at different times and give different amounts of thrust with symmetric throttles.

Do you even non-FADEC  brah?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

they all do that

They open at different times and give different amounts of thrust with symmetric throttles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they all do that

It must have cost you a ton of money developing a STC turning EECs into a FADEC, broliene.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It must have cost you a ton of money developing a STC turning EECs into a FADEC, broliene.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they all do that

You lost me on that one.

88's don't have EECs
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#40]
And the LR-Jet doesn't have a FADEC.  I think the 60 does but I don't even 60.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know first hand that CRJ-200s, CRJ-900s, and 737s can deploy TR's asymmetrically.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know for a fact crj200 and 737-700 will.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Challenger 600/601 will deploy independently.  You can go full power with one TR on the Falcon 50.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Some aircraft allow reverser deployment while airborne.  The C-17 and DC-8 come to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdn0465zE4o

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I flew a 501SP for 3 years and it would deploy independently.  I also flew a King Air 200 for 8 years and it would enter beta/reverse independently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top