Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
Getting my IPC checkout soon and will be doing a lot more flying, including IFR.  Which app is everyone using for IFR (but also has VFR charts, weather, etc). How much does it cost?

So far, I have heard of fore flight and FlyQ but haven't used either.  Does either one have a one time, never expires, cost or do they all have a yearly fee?

Is everyone using E6B for flight planning?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Ifly from Adventure Pilot.  Stand alone devices, as well as Android or IOS software.

https://www.iflygps.com/
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Getting my IPC checkout soon and will be doing a lot more flying, including IFR.  Which app is everyone using for IFR (but also has VFR charts, weather, etc). How much does it cost?

So far, I have heard of fore flight and FlyQ but haven't used either.  Does either one have a one time, never expires, cost or do they all have a yearly fee?

View Quote

Foreflight + a stratus 2
MyRadar
Aeroweather
Fltplan.com:GO
FAR/AIM

The only times I've ever used an E6B as a pilot was for a checkride.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
FlyQ has a yearly fee. In the past, they offered a lifetime subscription around Thanksgiving.  I bought that.  FlyQ is similar to FF, like Word and WordPerfect.  FlyQ does NOT work well with Stratus2S, even though they swore to me that it would.  Their current release notes confirm it will not work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Foreflight + a stratus 2
MyRadar
Aeroweather
FAR/AIM

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foreflight + a stratus 2
MyRadar
Aeroweather
FAR/AIM

I use all of these in a PC-12. Company issued IPad Mini with stratus 2.

I use my personal iPad which has the Sporty's e6b app for quick calculations. If your flight director or GPS can't build a vnav profile, the Sporty's app can.

1800wxbrief.com is linked to briefer and works great once you setup a profile. Makes checking wx and filing simple.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Foreflight and have only used Foreflight. It has worked for me, as with anything it takes some getting used to navigating the pages for charts. Both IFR and VFR sectionals that are clear even when zoomed in. For weather planning it has all the imagery you would want although I don't have anything that can get weather in flight with the app since I can't get service above 4-5000'. If you paired with ADS B receiver you could get weather.

If you like Jepp charts, get Garmin Pilot. From what I understand, it is user friendly and similar in function to Foreflight, I've just never personally used it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an iphone with data and an ipad mini without a data plan.  Is this enough, or do I need to upgrade to a ipad w/cell data?  

For those of you with apps and an ipad, etc, do I need an ipad with cellular data or will the app do everything without a cellular data plan?  I've heard conflicting info, such as the airplane that moves over the map that indicates your position, does/does not work without a cellular data plan (even though you dont get cell service above XX altitude).

what will not work without a data plan?

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The iPad's that have the ability to get cellular data (you don't actually need it to have service to the iPad) will be needed if you want a GPS position on the map/chart. The wifi version you have will only give you a position when you are getting wifi signal. However there are external GPS units you can buy that Bluetooth to your iPad which would then enable the tracking on your app.

I have a Verizon iPad and I turn the data off be wise I only get 10GB per month and still tracks me great.

I think this goes without saying, but, do not count on your GPS on your iPad to give your position. I would only use as a supplemental navaid to visual check points, your A/C's GPS that is up to date and RAIM checked and VOR's/DME.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The iPad's that have the ability to get cellular data (you don't actually need it to have service to the iPad) will be needed if you want a GPS position on the map/chart. The wifi version you have will only give you a position when you are getting wifi signal. However there are external GPS units you can buy that Bluetooth to your iPad which would then enable the tracking on your app.
View Quote

Are you sure about this?  It's true of apps that download maps on the fly, like google maps, but aviation apps store them on the device.  There is no need for a connection.  If it is true, it's yet another win for android.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you sure about this?  It's true of apps that download maps on the fly, like google maps, but aviation apps store them on the device.  There is no need for a connection.  If it is true, it's yet another win for android.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears he was asking if the wifi only version will produce a position on the chart or plate which is what I was answering. But I'll clarify what you were asking about the downloaded charts and storing them to the iPad:

On a wifi only version, you can download the VFR/IFR charts and aproach plates ahead of time while connected to wifi for the area you are flying and it will not require a cellular data during the flight to get the charts and plates since it is downloaded to the iPad. Current weather info from the iPad such as METARS and radar will not be able to be loaded with a wifi only iPad in the air since that is ever changing. You'll need a wifi connection for that. ADS B could be your friend here.

For GPS capability such as your position on the chart or plate you will need a cellular version because those have an internal GPS, the wifi versions do not. That is the only difference I am aware of if you get a wifi only version (the difference being the ability to use the iPads GPS for your position on the chart). Like stated earlier though, a few companies make an external GPS for $100 or so that will Bluetooth link to your iPad and can then give your position on the chart/plate.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It appears he was asking if the wifi only version will produce a position on the chart or plate which is what I was answering. But I'll clarify what you were asking about the downloaded charts and storing them to the iPad:

On a wifi only version, you can download the VFR/IFR charts and aproach plates ahead of time while connected to wifi for the area you are flying and it will not require a cellular data during the flight to get the charts and plates since it is downloaded to the iPad. Current weather info from the iPad such as METARS and radar will not be able to be loaded with a wifi only iPad in the air since that is ever changing. You'll need a wifi connection for that. ADS B could be your friend here.

For GPS capability such as your position on the chart or plate you will need a cellular version because those have an internal GPS, the wifi versions do not. That is the only difference I am aware of if you get a wifi only version (the difference being the ability to use the iPads GPS for your position on the chart). Like stated earlier though, a few companies make an external GPS for $100 or so that will Bluetooth link to your iPad and can then give your position on the chart/plate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, gotcha.  I didn't realize the wifi only ipad has no internal GPS.  That's rather lame.  But like you said, external GPS receivers are cheap.  ADS-B receivers are indeed your friend.  I love mine.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ah, gotcha.  I didn't realize the wifi only ipad has no internal GPS.  That's rather lame.  But like you said, external GPS receivers are cheap.  ADS-B receivers are indeed your friend.  I love mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why that is. Data doesn't even need to be provided to the cellular iPad to take advantage of the GPS. I wish they were just installed in all iPad versions...
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't say enough about Foreflgiht with a Status.  Foreflight lets you install it on two iPad and an iPhone.  I use my iPad regularly and carry an iPad mini as a backup.  With the Stratus you even have a backup PFD to us as an absolute last resort in IFR or everyday use in VFR.  I know so flight instructors that use it to help students transition from steam gauges to glass..

If you do buy a new iPad, bet at least 32 GB.  Depending upon what charts you download, they can take up a lot of space!.  Foreflight even has a nice logbook feature too.  Can be expensive, about $200/year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
iFly is $110/year for IFR, $70 VFR
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Great info guys!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought an app I really like today.  It's Takeoff and is available for iOS and Android.  http://takeoffaviationweather.com/

If you own something like ForeFlight or another app with weather then this is likely not useful, idk, but I'm just an enthusiast and Wx buff.  I played with ForeFlight a couple years ago but only as trial.  

This app gives METARs, TAFs, NOTAMs, PIREPs and lots of cool info that make looking at airport Wx nice.  Only 4 USD, and no subscription.  I like it.  If you fly small GA and don't have fancy on-board weather utilities then it might come in handy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Garmin Pilot. On iOS it's an excellent option and you should try both that and Foreflight and see which you like better. On Android, where there is no Foreflight, Garmin Pilot is the top of the line choice and highly recommended

E6B--what's that?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Check out Ifly from Adventure Pilot.  Stand alone devices, as well as Android or IOS software.

https://www.iflygps.com/
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorite apps is NOAA RadarUS+, which costs about $3 from the iTunes App Store. It provides animated echo tops as well as an hourly forecast of radar imagery for six hours, and then a 3 or 6 day pressure/precipitation map, where regions of precipitation are depicted every 6/12 hours, respectively. I find it to be my "go to" app if I'm debating over whether to fly myself or take the airline for a trip that's a few days away. It's also nice to see your enroute expectations depicted as a visible region.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top