Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2015 1:28:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The brand new A400M that recently crashed in Spain apparently experienced simultaneous fsilure of three of the four engines.  The cause is allegedly a software "glitch".  Maybe there's a systemic problem with Airbus/RR software.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]

"a jet like the A330 loses an engine, it's still certified to fly for as long as four hours on the remaining engine. Obviously, when a jet loses both engines, the situation is much more serious. However, pilots are trained to handle it. "

Yeah, but I bet the pucker factor is REALLY HIGH.

What I want to know is how anyone would have the confidence to take off again a few hours later and fly it back WITH passengers.

What did the entry in the Maintenance log say?  "Could not identify cause or malfunction. Cleared for service.  Report any reoccurrence."  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"a jet like the A330 loses an engine, it's still certified to fly for as long as four hours on the remaining engine. Obviously, when a jet loses both engines, the situation is much more serious. However, pilots are trained to handle it. "

What I want to know is how anyone would have the confidence to take off again a few hours later and fly it back WITH passengers.

What did the entry in the Maintenance log say?  "Could not identify cause or malfunction. Cleared for service.  Report any reoccurrence."  
View Quote

"Ops checked OK, Could not duplicate."
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
ETOPS: Stands for "extended two engine operations"

Interpreted by many as "engines turn or people swim"

How much you want to bet that it was engine icing related and that the crew did not have the anti-ice on while circumventing high altitude thunderstorm clouds?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ETOPS: Stands for "extended two engine operations"

Interpreted by many as "engines turn or people swim"

How much you want to bet that it was engine icing related and that the crew did not have the anti-ice on while circumventing high altitude thunderstorm clouds?
View Quote

Good bet.  I wonder if they have some fuel system icing issues like was experienced in the 777.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Looked that the flight radar trace and looks like the crew did a good job descending and maintaining airspeed so they had the ability to maneuver if need be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#10]
While flying through bad weather did the crew have both igniters on?  Both engines flamed out?  Interesting event for sure for both crew and passengers as the A330 is not a small aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The three loudest sounds:

A bang when you expect a click
A click when you expect a bang
Both engines quit burning
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A great point was brought up in another thread. Who in their right fucking mind, upon engine relight, would continue on for hours? I would have PL'd at the nearest suitable airfield.
View Quote

Lol.  Let's go from driftdown procedures back to normal ops.  No biggie guys.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A great point was brought up in another thread. Who in their right fucking mind, upon engine relight, would continue on for hours? I would have PL'd at the nearest suitable airfield.

When you have an engine fail in flight on an aircraft with three or fewer engines, you must divert to the nearest suitable airport. For flight planning purposes, the route you fly must remain within four hours of the nearest suitable airport. The ability to continue for four hours does not relive you of the requirement to divert.

Unlikely it's a fuel icing issue, the flight was not at cruise altitude long enough to have the fuel super cooled to it's freezing level. That usually takes 10-14 hours at sub -40C temps and requires fuel that was pretty cool at the start of the flight already, not summer time fuel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad I do not have any Airbus stock.

Vince
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I got to the word "Singapore" in the Subject line and instantly thought to myself....

"Yeah.. That figures."  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discrepancy #1: lt and rt engines missing
Corrective action : lt and Rt engines found under respective wings after brief search. No defects noted at this time.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Oil Plugs fell out?

Eastern Air Lines Flight 855 was an air incident near Miami, Florida on May 5, 1983. En route from Miami International Airport to Nassau International Airport, a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar, registration N334EA, experienced the loss of all three engines. The flight crew succeeded in restarting one engine in time to safely land the aircraft at Miami International Airport.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
They dropped around 30,000 feet after losing BOTH engines, got them to relight, AND THEN CONTINUED WITH THE FLIGHT AS NORMAL?!

I guess the stereotype about Asian pilots being button pushers is a lot closer to the truth than I though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
This applies to the EAL Tristar incident in Fla.

If memory serves, the crew shut down the engines shortly after takeoff after losing oil pressure in each of the three engines. The shutdowns were not all at once.  The oil tank caps were left loose or off completely (maybe there was o-ring missing) after maintence action.  After realizing the predicament they were in, the crew initiated restart of the engines and got one restarted before making a successful safe landing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They dropped around 30,000 feet after losing BOTH engines, got them to relight, AND THEN CONTINUED WITH THE FLIGHT AS NORMAL?!

I guess the stereotype about Asian pilots being button pushers is a lot closer to the truth than I though.
View Quote

I thought the descent was part of the procedure.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Granted, I used to work for P&W, but I never liked AB or RR.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If memory serves, the crew shut down the engines shortly after takeoff after losing oil pressure in each of the three engines. The shutdowns were not all at once.  The oil tank caps were left loose or off completely (maybe there was o-ring missing) after maintence action.  After realizing the predicament they were in, the crew initiated restart of the engines and got one restarted before making a successful safe landing.
View Quote

Maintenance had forgotten to install O rings in the chip detectors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  I stand corrected.  At least I got the o-ring part right.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It generally is.  Because you can't really keep flying straight and level without any propulsion.

I'm curious if they ended up deploying whatever their version of a ram air turbine is.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It generally is.  Because you can't really keep flying straight and level without any propulsion.

I'm curious if they ended up deploying whatever their version of a ram air turbine is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On Boeing aircraft it would have been automatic due to no engines and IRS input to include air/ground input as well.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#26]
No APU?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Many APU's have altitude limits for start and operation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]
If you can't find the cause, it needs to be scrapped.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ops/MX control told them where to go based on how much it was going to cost to get MX and parts.  

Seriously.  Before I went corporate I contracted with a few 121 regionals.  You'd be amazed how far 1900D's and CRJ's can fly with shattered windshields.  (Not just cracked, I mean full on loss of cabin pressure shattered).
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Many APU's have altitude limits for start and operation.
View Quote

Also depending on how their emergency power is configured, they may not have wanted to start the APU without any active generators.  

If you kill the battery and still can't get anything online, you are now royally screwed.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I would bet that aircraft has a ram air turbine driven generator that dropped out almost instantly at the dual flameout.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Just based on the initial article it sure sounds like a textbook case of "ice crystal icing".
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm saying is that if I had both engines quit on me, I'd want to put it down ASAP and find out why, not continue on my merry way for another few hours and risk it happening again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What I'm saying is that if I had both engines quit on me, I'd want to put it down ASAP and find out why, not continue on my merry way for another few hours and risk it happening again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picture the captain looking over at the FO and saying, "Hell, we should just keep going.  You know what the odds are of losing both engines TWICE in the same flight must be?"  

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just based on the initial article it sure sounds like a textbook case of "ice crystal icing".
View Quote

I came here to post this. Some sensor got iced up and the engines went into limp mode.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I came here to post this. Some sensor got iced up and the engines went into limp mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea probably the mass air flow or O2 sensor..........

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's regular everyday icing you're thinking of. It virtually never happens at high altitude because any visible moisture is already frozen hard and won't accrete to the aircraft.

Ice Crystal Icing is a relatively newly discovered and slightly less understood phenomena. It happens at very high altitude in pretty specific atmospheric conditions. It won't typically accrete to the aircraft skin or protrusions and if it does would only register as trace deposits. But what it will do is accrete to the inside walls of the engine. It'll build up until it sheds and that will commonly flame the engine out without damaging it. In the known cases of it occurring a relight has always been successful though a loss of altitude is inescapable if you don't have continuous ignition on for an instant relight. ICI is a bit of a hot topic these days with Boeing and Airbus both fielding research teams into the subject.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have personal knowledge of a 737-200 that lost oil pressure on both engines at the same time on climb out going through 1500'. The pilot declared emergency, did a 180 and landed downwind. I have flown a 737-300 that once belonged to TACA that had a dual engine flameout and deadstick landing off airport.

Take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPn8G7enbF4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top