Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 2:05:48 AM EDT
I was able to get inside the CAF's "Texas Raider" recently, and saw something I had never seen before.  On the instrument panel, there was a gauge with three "propellers" only labeled "slow" and "fast" along with "1," "2," and "3."  

I couldn't figure out what gauge would measure 3 things and only indicate "slow" and "fast."  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a B-17 pilot's manual and the only "SLOW" "FAST" instrument I can find is the windshield wiper control switch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Where was it on the panel?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Prop sync. Shows when all props are same rpm so you dont get the low frequency differential beat thru the airframe and in your ear.
Common in all multi engine prop planes
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prop sync. Shows when all props are same rpm so you dont get the low frequency differential beat thru the airframe and in your ear.
View Quote

Might be only 3 because 1 is a master and the other 3 are slaves you syncing to the master
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Might be only 3 because 1 is a master and the other 3 are slaves you syncing to the master
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I texted my buddy this question.  He is typed in the -17 and flys it regularly.  When I get a response I will post it.  Prop sync makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It is prop sync.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's racist  

When a black FAA inspector axes you to explain about the master cylinder you know you in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not the only odd instrument in the cockpit.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, that's a really nice looking retrofit.  I wanted to see the pit of Aluminum Overcast when it was in town, but i was loaded down with camera gear and the visiting hours were just about up so i didn't have time to run it back to my car and wiggle my way up there.

They are pretty amazing birds, much respect to the men and women who keep them flying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a really nice looking retrofit.  I wanted to see the pit of Aluminum Overcast when it was in town, but i was loaded down with camera gear and the visiting hours were just about up so i didn't have time to run it back to my car and wiggle my way up there.

They are pretty amazing birds, much respect to the men and women who keep them flying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a shot of the cockpit of Aluminum Overcast from last year when I took a ride.  I'll see if I can find it but it was nothing special.  Both pilots used iPads with the Foreflight moving map.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
A couple of cockpit shots from B-17 Sentimental Journey, which I rode in last year when it was in Manassas, VA.

The best shot I have of the instrument panel, you can see an addition at the top of the frame:

Shot showing a better view of the added instruments:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top