Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 3:26:06 PM EDT
In the GD thread "Would you feel comfortable flying in an Airbus 320?" someone made the following comment.

"Seeing that the original Airbus scheme involved a group effort by European countries, it shows. British can't cook. French only work four day's a week and strike close to holidays so they can get a four day weekend. Spanish can't manage money. Germans still trying to get a Volkswagen to work. Airbus systems where designed by some old Nazi with a grudge and they have managed to stick with the concept all these years."

It reminded me of a commuter flight I took in 1990 from Denver to Gillette.

The plane was about 14 seats. Had twin prop engines. It was pretty casual boarding and I had a chance to ask the Captain what we were flying in.
I don't recall the name/model/number/ etc. but he said it was designed by the Brits (and maybe assembled by the Brits, not sure), the engines were Messerschmitts from Germany, the wings were French and the fuselage was Spanish (or vice versa on the wings and fuselage maybe).
I recall the entry door was in the left rear of the plane, but I have old timer's disease.

Anyone know what we flew?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure just spitballing here, but a BAE Jetstream 31?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Google Images says no.
I seem to recall it being a high wing also. Impressed me as generally odd looking
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Metro?

ETA:  Saw left rear door.  Think the Metro is in the front, but don't recall.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like it might have been a DeHavilland DH-6 Otter, or perhaps a more recent upgrade of same. Flew in a DH-6 from Philly to Atlantic City in 1975. Being a DH, it could have been built by a European mish-mash program like Airbus is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Also might be Shorts 330/360 or Dash 7
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like it might have been a DeHavilland DH-6 Otter, or perhaps a more recent upgrade of same. Flew in a DH-6 from Philly to Atlantic City in 1975. Being a DH, it could have been built by a European mish-mash program like Airbus is.
View Quote

It was most similar looking to the DeHavilland DH-6 Otter than any of the other models mentioned, but Wiki doesn't mention any version built by a mish mash euro group with Messerschmitts .
But who knows.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Donier  228?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_228
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
CASA 212?

Or Dornier 228 as above.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't really think of any Messerschmitt / MBB-built or license-built engines that fit the bill.  Any recall of whether it had fixed landing gear or retractable?  The seating arrangement (1 + 1; 2+1; 2+2, no middle aisle at all)?

My first guess was also the BAe J31. I'll go with a couple of odd-birds, one slightly smaller, the other slightly bigger than the 14 seat capacity.

The Britten-Norman Islander

The CASA 212 Aviocar

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't really think of any Messerschmitt / MBB-built or license-built engines that fit the bill.  Any recall of whether it had fixed landing gear or retractable?  The seating arrangement (1 + 1; 2+1; 2+2, no middle aisle at all)?

My first guess was also the BAe J31. I'll go with a couple of odd-birds, one slightly smaller, the other slightly bigger than the 14 seat capacity.

https://www.capeair.com/images/islander-side-2.jpg

The CASA 212 Aviocar
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7333/12159278615_302112d671.jpg

View Quote

I use to fly the islander and the three engine Tri -lander.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be DeHavilland Canada that built the DH-C 3 Otter, DH-C6 twin Otter, dash 7 , dash 8.  Made in Canada

And as far as I know, Messerschmitt was an airframe builder, not an engine builder, now known as MBB (helicopters)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The CASA 212 Aviocar

View Quote

I could be mistaken on the engines being Messerschmitts. The only thing I know for sure was that the Captain mentioned  Brits, Gremans, (Something Messerschmitt from there), French and Spanish all were involved in the aircraft design and manufacture.

The plane had non retractable rear gear. Don't recall the nose gear. High wing as I mentioned. This was way before phone pics were always in hand.
This plane had an aisle with 2+2 seating except the last left rear seat by the door area was a single.

The CASA C-212 had a max ceiling of 10 K. according to wiki. Don't know if that would handle Denver to Gillette route.

Coming back to Denver a week later this thing rode out some Hell Turbulance. I about pulled the armrest off the seat.

Gillette had also had one of their famous late spring snow storms and even though the runway was plowed it was like a 18th century cobblestone road.

I appreciate ALL of your help in this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Lookup Shorts 330
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lookup shorts 330
View Quote

Or a Skyvan.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lookup shorts 330
View Quote

I did when brasilia listed it. Nope. That one is really odd looking.

I also looked at pics of the list on the wiki page for the Dehavilland D6 Otter of similar size and duty planes. Nothing really jumped out at me and said "This is it!"

Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era:
Pilatus PC-6
Antonov An-28
Antonov An-38
Beechcraft 1900
Britten-Norman Islander
CASA C-212 Aviocar
Dornier Do 228
GAF Nomad
Harbin Y-12
IAI Arava
LET L-410
PAC P-750 XSTOL
PZL M28 Skytruck
Shorts SC.7 Skyvan
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or a Skyvan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lookup shorts 330

Or a Skyvan.

Sorry . No
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Any idea what airline it would have been on?  That would help narrow it down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I could be mistaken on the engines being Messerschmitts. The only thing I know for sure was that the Captain mentioned  Brits, Gremans, (Something Messerschmitt from there), French and Spanish all were involved in the aircraft design and manufacture.

The plane had non retractable rear gear. Don't recall the nose gear. High wing as I mentioned. This was way before phone pics were always in hand.
This plane had an aisle with 2+2 seating except the last left rear seat by the door area was a single.

The CASA C-212 had a max ceiling of 10 K. according to wiki. Don't know if that would handle Denver to Gillette route.

Coming back to Denver a week later this thing rode out some Hell Turbulance. I about pulled the armrest off the seat.

Gillette had also had one of their famous late spring snow storms and even though the runway was plowed it was like a 18th century cobblestone road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CASA 212 Aviocar

My Wiki say 26K service ceiling which sounds about right. Maybe saw it in meters
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Twin Otter makes a fine jump plane. That is what I mad my first jumps from at Lake Elsinore.

Vince
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any idea what airline it would have been on?  That would help narrow it down.
View Quote

No. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My Wiki say 26K service ceiling which sounds about right. Maybe saw it in meters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CASA 212 Aviocar

I see that know on the series 300 farther down the page.
Earlier I had only noticed this:
The C-212 has a high-mounted wing, a boxy fuselage, and a conventional tail. The tricycle undercarriage is non-retractable. It has space for 21–28 passengers depending on configuration. Since the C-212 does not have a pressurized fuselage, it is limited to relatively low-flight-level airline usage (below 10,000 ft (3,000 m) MSL). It is thus ideal for short legs and regional airline service.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The CASA 212 Aviocar

View Quote

Ha, Allegheny Air, we used to fly them going to visit my grandparents in Upstate NY in the 70's...my Dad called them "Agony Air"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top