Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2015 8:48:03 PM EDT
I recently read a fine book on the McDonnell F-101 Voodoo and its operation authored by Nigel Walpole, a former Royal Air Force (RAF) exchange pilot who flew the aircraft.  The title of the book is Voodoo Warriors: The Story of the McDonnell Voodoo Fast-Jets, and at $1.99, the Kindle Edition is a straight-up bargain and worth the read.  For years and years I had read about the Voodoo's terrifying pitch-up issues and Walpole's book helped bring home the fact that pitch-up was never too far from the minds of those who operated the aircraft.  

Now within the past couple of days, a film produced by McDonnell about avoiding pitch-up and how to attempt to get out of it was just recently posted to YouTube by the San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM).  The flight test footage (beginning at approximately the 8-minute mark) inside and outside of the cockpit is breathtaking (featuring McDonnell Test Pilot Don Struck in the cockpit). What also caught my ear was this restrained bit of commentary about recovery from pitch-up and the resulting loss of control through the use of the aircraft's drag chute, and the consequences of not using the drag chute to recover:

"However, if a [drag] chute is not utilized, time out of control will be lengthened considerably with the resulting increase in altitude loss. Extended out of control time could possibly force you to leave the aircraft prior to recovery because of altitude considerations."

Anyway, check out the film.  It really makes one appreciate the risks of flying a Century Series jet, and in particular, the grave danger presented by the Voodoo's dreaded pitch-up problem.

Also, check out this article by James H. Farmer that was published in Flight Journal in April 2012, "Voodoo Magic: Learning to Dance With A High-Spirited Lady." There's an illuminating passage which apparently refers to the efforts this film was a part of (although Test Pilot Don Struck's name is mistakenly provided as "Don Strock.")

Col. Craigwell today recalls that the Voodoo’s manufacturer, McDonnell Aircraft, sent a company pilot around to the various USAF F-101 squadrons to further brief pilots on the pitch-up phenomenon—‘a sword of Damocles problem’ never resolved by the company’s engineers. "The company test pilot was Don Strock, as I recall, a civilian, a very good man. He was trying to show us how far we could go with the airplane—what the onset felt like. Don kept telling us the pitch up was recoverable. He did it a number of times in his factory airplane. But he had an extra drag chute with a very long line attaching it to the airplane. If the normal drag chute line was, say, 75 feet, his was 175 feet. This was important to get the chute out beyond the turbulent air around a tumbling airplane. He also had a cannon cartridge to quickly shoot it out of the immediate vicinity of the airplane into the cleaner air. Now, normally, this special chute arrangement worked quite well for Don. But even he had to let one go one day when the airplane refused to stop tumbling.”

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Those days were before "fly by wire".
Those days were "fly by pilot"
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting that a really good NY Air Guard pilot once handed two F4's their butts at William Tell in the late 1970's flying an F101. After that it was several years before ay Air Guard pilots or units were allowed to return to that annual fighter competition. The F101 was a difficult airplane to fly well, but in skilled hands, it was still a very capable interceptor for it's day.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was flying F-4s in the late '70s, the only F-101s left in service that I knew about were in Canada. We went up to Bagotville for a weekend get together. They had some 101s. Watching them take off, they had the hardest burner light of anything I can remember. They lit with a boom and they lit unevenly. Cool!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to sit in my office at the TexANG hangar at Navy Dallas in the 70's while the Navy and Marines did their simulated carrier landings before going on deployment in the F-8 Crusaders.
There would be 2 or 3 in the pattern at the same time doing crash and goes. We would have to take the pictures down from the walls while those hard light were banging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top