Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 9:01:50 PM EDT
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/461163/airasia-probe-vets-flight-system-failure

"There appears to be some issue with the FAC," a person familiar with the investigation said, adding that more information was being sought from the manufacturer and airline.

Indonesia has said the Airbus A320 jet climbed abruptly from its cruising height and then stalled, or lost lift, before plunging out of control into the Java Sea, killing all 162 people on board.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
OMG!  They are actually expecting the pilots to fly the plane!  

"The consequence of losing the two FACs is that the pilot has to fly manually like a conventional aircraft, which by definition has no flight envelope protection."

Totally unacceptable.

I really hate Airbus equipment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I will wait until the accident report comes out.

This is why they are called Scare Bus.  I perfer to call them the short bus special.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
AirAsia crash: 'Co-pilot was flying plane'

The AirAsia plane that crashed into the Java Sea on 28 December was under the control of its co-pilot when it went down, Indonesian investigators say.

The flight data recorder, retrieved along with the cockpit voice recorder earlier this month, showed Frenchman Remi Plesel was at the controls.

Officials said it was common practice for the co-pilot to take charge.
View Quote

Earlier this week, the military announced it was stopping attempts to retrieve the fuselage from the seabed. Authorities had believed earlier that most of the missing bodies were still in the wreckage but now believe it is empty and too fragile to move.
View Quote

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31034135
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"The consequence of losing the two FACs is that the pilot has to fly manually like a conventional aircraft, which by definition has no flight envelope protection."

View Quote
Is that the same thing that some pilots needed to pull breakers to override in an un-commanded decent a few weeks ago?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Those were ADRs.  Though, techniquely, it wasn't the ADRs that caused that problem, even though powering down two of the three units is what solved the problem.  Long story.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Just one more reason I like the Lear. Worst thing I have to deal with is landing with the yaw damp on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
"Copilot was flying."

"Systems failed."

Either way, someone stalled the airplane. And probably either kept it stalled or put it in a spin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just one more reason I like the Lear. Worst thing I have to deal with is landing with the yaw damp on.
View Quote

"Damn! That was one hell of a crosswind.....oh wait" BING!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, yep I've done that once or twice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have several thousand hours in Lears and may or may not have done that once or twice also..   Fc530 Lears can be landed with yaw damp on as SOP
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/80637000/jpg/_80637670_025251797-1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The AirAsia plane that crashed into the Java Sea on 28 December was under the control of its co-pilot when it went down, Indonesian investigators say.

The flight data recorder, retrieved along with the cockpit voice recorder earlier this month, showed Frenchman Remi Plesel was at the controls.

Earlier this week, the military announced it was stopping attempts to retrieve the fuselage from the seabed. Authorities had believed earlier that most of the missing bodies were still in the wreckage but now believe it is empty and too fragile to move.

Now I got the "In Living Color's" skit in my head now.

"Pilot to Co-pilot, we are going down in flames."
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OMG!  They are actually expecting the pilots to fly the plane!  

Totally unacceptable.

I really hate Airbus equipment.
View Quote

What is with Airbus and it's pilots... it's like Air France again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ever have any fuel imbalance issues with lears?
View Quote

Maaaaybe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had a small one in the air, 300~ lbs. On the ground if one develops I just hook it to the tug and do a few figure 8s.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My old Century III AP would turn the plane into a 45d bank when flipped on sometimes.
You gotta watch George.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Frenchman Remi Plesel has...had no emblem on his cover, Captain scrambled eggs on the bill and two stripes on his shoulders.....WTF? He does....did, however, have a rather impressive pilot watch and ghey co-pilot glasses on a neck string.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember reading something a few years ago to the effect that Airbus pilots were trained to a much lower standard because "the plane basically flies itself."  Mostly rote learning - "If this, do that."  European airlines love it because they can pay less and also because their labor pool of military trained multi-engine pilots is miniscule.  But the result is that, when their is a problem that goes off script, they don't know what to do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't consider a stall to be off script.

The problem of poorly trained pilots isn't confined to Europe. I've been in the cockpit with several guys who were great at flying checklists but had no clue what to do in a 25kt wind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Other than leaving the cross flow open and a standby pump on to balance fuel ,and then subsequently forgetting about it, no.

I had a guy I was doing some upgrade training with forget about it one day.  I was wondering how long it would take him to remember.  Turns out when the autopilot kicked off was when he remembered.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have several thousand hours in Lears and may or may not have done that once or twice also..   Fc530 Lears can be landed with yaw damp on as SOP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I've flown an FC530 twice, other than the sim.

The majority of my Lear time is FC110, maybe a third of it in FC200 30 series.

Starting A320 school Monday, though.  I'm trying to brain dump 15 years worth of Lear Falcon and King Air.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]

The majority of my Lear time is FC110, maybe a third of it in FC200 30 series.

Starting A320 school Monday, though.  I'm trying to brain dump 15 years worth of Lear Falcon and King Air.
View Quote

FC110 = everybody hang on, i'm about to turn the autopilot on. (A lot of my lear time was in 20 series)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FC110 = everybody hang on, i'm about to turn the autopilot on. (A lot of my lear time was in 20 series)
View Quote

Ours got a lot better with RVSM.  I'm going to miss the old things though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changing out a yaw dampener in a Lear is a shitty job. The damn thin barely fits thru an access panel in the horizonatal stab, and then you have to tighten the hardware and safety the bolts without being able to see what your doing since you can only fit one hand thru the damn pos access panel. FU Lear for that shit design.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've had a small one in the air, 300~ lbs. On the ground if one develops I just hook it to the tug and do a few figure 8s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pay to see that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top